PDA

View Full Version : 109 rear brake bleeding

Squire
02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Im having problems bleeding the rear brakes on my 109 (servo assisted).
I have fluid coming to all cylinders but still have to pump twice to get a good pedal whick goes soft after when released.
Checked for leaks and all is fine
If I clamp of the rear flexable pipe the pedal is prefect.
Ive pumped about 3 liters through it over the past month or so.
Any advise welcomed

KSMTAW
02-12-2008, 07:26 AM
I have found that sometimes air leaks in around the bleed nipple. I have used a little teflon tape around the threads of the bleed nipple. This worked great. Also, prior to bleeding, make sure the pedal is pushed. This will put the pads in contact with the drum.

I also use a one man bleeder by mity-vac. It cost about 35 dollars at autozone. I don't have to bother my wife anymore.

Also, if your pads are worn or your drums are worn (out of spec) the pedal will still need to be pumped. If they are out of spec(too much wear) you need to replace them with new.

Hope this helps.

Todd

TeriAnn
02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Im having problems bleeding the rear brakes on my 109 (servo assisted).

Did you do anthing to the brake system other than attempt to bleed it?

Also, it has been my experience that LR brake systems are more responsive to pressure bleeding.

yank
02-13-2008, 07:04 AM
I read somewhere that C clamping the wheel cylinders helps. Any truth to this?

Willard
02-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Stupid question but do you have any leaks anywhere. 3 liters over a month is alot of brake fluid. 4 wheel drums suck in general for braking, but mine have never lost fluid like that.

Squire
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Turns out I had the trailing shoe on one hub facing forward.
Hope to sort it this evening. When I said I pumped 3 litres through the system over the last month, I ment when trying to bleed.
Thanks for the replies.

Tim Smith
02-13-2008, 09:53 AM
3 liters in a month is bad. I have no idea what could be happening here. Have you tried parking it over a clean patch of driveway to see if there is a leak that you otherwise would have missed?

I know, I know... a leak you might have missed... :p

How is the clutch system? I'm not sure if the servo assisted brakes use a common reservoir like my IIa but if it does, then check that too.

I have found that sometimes air leaks in around the bleed nipple. I have used a little teflon tape around the threads of the bleed nipple. This worked great. Also, prior to bleeding, make sure the pedal is pushed. This will put the pads in contact with the drum.

I also use a one man bleeder by mity-vac. It cost about 35 dollars at autozone. I don't have to bother my wife anymore.
Hi Todd,
I'm afraid the bleed nipples don't seal on the threads so I'm not sure that would help do anything other than clean out the treads a bit.

However, putting Teflon on the threads will help with the mity-vac bleeder set up. :thumb-up: