PDA

View Full Version : SIII 88 oil pan armor

msggunny
02-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok, so i was up under the truck the other day messing with my exhaust and noticed something that i have most likely seen before but didnt take any notice of.

The oil pan has a few dents and scrapes in it. This makes me a bit unnerved as there is no skid plate for it and i havent seen any for the 88.

Anyone out there do any kind of fab'd skid plate for the oil pan?

Thinking about welding some thick metal to the bottom if i cant figure anything else out, with a cut out for the oil drain plug.

Thanks.

S11A
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Check out Pangolin - if Ike does not offer this, he might be able to make one.

greenmeanie
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Are you sure they were gathered on the trail and not in the garage? In the spirit of shade tree mechanics people pull engines and then dump them on the floor to work on. A sheet metal sump isn't a great engine stand.

The sump on these trucks is pretty well protected by the axle, the cross member and the prop shaft. Not to say it couldn't happen but you'd have to try petty hard and then I'd expect to see other damage to the undercarriage of the truck.

I'd consider the fuel tank and the transfer case a higher priority for armour.

Cheers
Gregor

msggunny
02-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Are you sure they were gathered on the trail and not in the garage? In the spirit of shade tree mechanics people pull engines and then dump them on the floor to work on. A sheet metal sump isn't a great engine stand.

The sump on these trucks is pretty well protected by the axle, the cross member and the prop shaft. Not to say it couldn't happen but you'd have to try petty hard and then I'd expect to see other damage to the undercarriage of the truck.

Cheers
Gregor

Its from the trail, the paint has been worn off on the following edge of the pan, and there are a few deep gouges from what looks like it being pulled across a rock.

Granted the dent could be from being dropped, but not the other wear.

Mercedesrover
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Ike makes a really nice guard for the gas tank.

I make a replacement pan for the transfer case.

jim

greenmeanie
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I've never seen one fitted so don't know how far forward they come but there is the belly armour plate that came on some military trucks.

http://www.tntlr.com/database/products/TLR14101.jpg

I considered it for my project 109 but ultimately I don't think I can justify toting the extra weight around.

Cheers
Gregor

leafsprung
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I can make a reinforced pan or a skid if you wish.

msggunny
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I've never seen one fitted so don't know how far forward they come but there is the belly armour plate that came on some military trucks.

http://www.tntlr.com/database/products/TLR14101.jpg

I considered it for my project 109 but ultimately I don't think I can justify toting the extra weight around.

Cheers
Gregor

I thought about that, but i think its 109 specific. It has something to do with the MoD removeable cross member and how it mounts.

If i can find someone who has made it work on an 88 i would try it.

Oddly enough my MoD 88 doesnt have the removeable cross member.

Ike, thanks for the offer. Im gonna see what i can do first then if i have to i will go that route.

maybe its something new you can offer in your line up.

leafsprung
02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I get very few requests for them. Sadly I think only a small percentage of series rovers see trail duty.

msggunny
02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I get very few requests for them. Sadly I think only a small percentage of series rovers see trail duty.

Would you need me to send you my oil pan? Or do you have one laying around?

leafsprung
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I think I have a few. Be nice to have the core back . . . but I could do it either way.

yorker
02-13-2008, 03:24 PM
I've been thinking of doing something like that, it could be really simple:
http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/imagecachelarge/1210161013a.jpg

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/imagecachelarge/1210161013b.jpg

What I really need is a good under tranny/transmission skidplate...