PDA

View Full Version : what tools to take to check out an 88

autoguy
02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
well i cant go this weekend to check out the 88 im looking at but hopefully i can go before the end of the month :)

so what tools should i take to check the 88 out ?

so far im thinking a screwdriver for tapping on the frame, a spark plug wrench and socket, my ball-peen hammer and some wd-40

i heard from the owner of the 88 today and he says the engine is not stuck :)

so what tools do you take to go check out old series rovers ?

I Leak Oil
02-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Add a flashlight and a compression check to your list too....
Jason T.

ChrisB
02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

Good luck.

LaneRover
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Crappy clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.

Though it works better on a car with more of a steel body bring a magnet as it can help you check the bulkheads (don't want to jam a screwdriver on a painted area that could potentially have filler)

Brent

greenmeanie
02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Either a beautiful girl (Usually quite difficult to sell this as a good day out - almost impossible if it is your wife) or a really ugly knuckledragger of a friend. It gives the owner someone else to concentrate on which gives you peace and quiet to get on with your inspection undisturbed.

It's amazing how much more you notice without someone rabbiting in your ear.

Cheers
Gregor

S11A
02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
A very large sheet of cardboard for crawling around underneath.

You didn't mention if it was running (beyond the engine not being stuck), but if it does not start, maybe take along a spare battery (or jumper from the car you drove), ether, fuel dryer/stabilizer, and other bits to attempt to start it.

Good luck!

autoguy
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Jason T., i will take my surefire flashlight, but i dont have a compression tester

ChrisB, thanks for the link looks like a lot of good info

LaneRover, i will take my garage clothes, and an old speaker magnet :)

greenmeanie, lol :)

S11A, the radiator is out of it and so is the gas tank, but i will turn it over by hand :)

thanks for the tips everyone :)

S11A
02-18-2008, 08:15 AM
You might be able to rig up a temporary fuel tank by adapting a gas can to the fuel line.

As far as the radiator goes, I would not think it would hurt to run it for 30 - 60 seconds without cooling? Opinions?

LaneRover
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
You might be able to rig up a temporary fuel tank by adapting a gas can to the fuel line.

Yes you can do that, I even test drove one of my Rovers with that sort of set-up before buying it. It ran great! Stopping was a whole other thing though... ... luckily the front end of 70's era Fords are pretty tough and work well in stopping a 58 Rover.

autoguy
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
S11A, i might give that a shot, but as long as it has been sitting i think the oil would need replaced before i start it ? it has been sitting for 7 ish years

Jim-ME
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Check out the color of the oil. If it is really dark black I wouldn't run it any longer than to make sure it runs then change the oil and filter as soon as you get it home. Pull the plugs and see how they look. I found a color chart that was very helpful to me (http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm). If you run a compression test and the oil is worn out, it will do as much damage as running it just ot hear it to hear it run. Good luck!
Jim

autoguy
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Jim-ME, thanks, i figured i would not run the engine till i get the oil changed and filter changed too, when i get it home, i am going to turn the flywheel to make sure the engine is not locked up though, thanks for the link too :)