PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio Location/Type

LandRoverRo
02-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm looking to add a CB to my car (SIII). Been thinking about building an overhead console.
Anyone have some examples of where they've mounted theirs and what brands/models?

Thanks,
Rohan.

TeriAnn
02-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm looking to add a CB to my car (SIII). Been thinking about building an overhead console.
Anyone have some examples of where they've mounted theirs and what brands/models?

I build an overhead. The only picture I have of it is part of a montage.

There's the montage:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/blog/blog-Jpegs/GreenRovercalloge.jpg

My overhead console is made from thick plywood formed into an 'L' shape and reinforced with steel right angle brackets. The radio cut outs are made along the bottom of the vertical sheet which sits on the horizontal board. I used a spoke shave to round the bottom front corner and added a layer of dense foam along the outside to protect my noggin from an accidental bumpin.

The overhead console sits on the inside rails of the roof. I added a barrier strip to distribute power. I cut speaker holes on the bottom for the stereo and a hole for a 5"X7" oval external CB speaker between the two radio units. I'm using Defender sun visors. That's a Smiths clock between the two radios.

I've found that an external CB speaker helps me understand what is being said. I have a radioshack CB with weather channels. and it seems to work OK for me. Tuning the antenna connection seems to be more important than the brand of CB.

When buying a radio with LCD display the key thing to do is to get low and look up at the display during the demo. There are a lot of LCD displays that you can't see when it is above you.

LandRoverRo
02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks very much Teri Ann. Great info. What is the covering material of the console?
I hope to one day own a Land Rover long enough to dial it in like you have.

greenmeanie
02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
If you are not just as handy as TeriAnn another couple of options are:
1. La Salle roof liner. These are aftermarket fiberglass roof liners molded to fit your land rover. There is an option to have a central overhead radio mount and bulges for speakers. All you have to do is cut them out and fit your stuff.

2. Tuffy Security center console box. The 12.5" wide one is designed for the Defender and fits the seeries very nicely. It has a slot down the front of the box to take a radio. The nice ting is that it has a hinged cover that locks in place hiding the radio from view when not in use.

I've got both positions in my IIa but have never seen the point of fitting a radio. A CB would be useful but I just never got round to it.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I've been playing around with an overhead console. Made this one out of luan (thin plywood). It's a work in progress and still needs a lot doing at it but its worked great so far. The only problem is that the LCD readout on the radio is a cheap one and it's not always clear what it's trying to say when you look at it from the angle it's sitting.

http://lh6.google.com/smithco1/R7n5Rh2OA8I/AAAAAAAABUY/CQjJr77e8B4/s144/OverHeadv1-06.jpg

Few more pictures here but remember that this is V1 so still a work in progress.
http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbasOverheadConsole

When it's done, It will probably have wings off it toward the doors to house the front speakers and probably some other electronics. I'll also cover it with closed cell foam and then some fabric/vinyl from my local fabric and arts supply just like I did on the ceiling.

If you notice, there is a stereo, CB with remote speaker and 3 LCD under counter kitchen lights.

If you are going to make your own, remember that this is where your head could end up in an accident. I used to be an EMT/Firefighter and have seen some horrific things happen inside a car. Thats why I went with 1/4" luan for the structure of it instead of something stronger.

I'd rather it broke in an accident than my head. :eek:

galen216
02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I have the tuffy box too but the CB in my truck (already mounted when I bought it) is bolted under the dash right in front of the gear shifter. The only thing about mounting in the tuffy box is the location of the mike cord. Mine comes out the side and I would have to cut the tuffy box and it is something I prefer not to do.