PDA

View Full Version : many questions about IIA brakes

hackneyed1
02-18-2008, 08:40 AM
To start:
This concerns my not-for-show 1962 IIA 88.
I have already spent a bunch of time reading various threads and other sites like TeriAnn's page.
My original brake master cyl is dead and my (shared) reservoir isn't far behind.
Before the master cyl died I could lock up my wheels, thus stock output was sufficient.

My questions:
What is the general success rate of rebuilding the original unit? I had success rebuilding other makes/models but some are always quirkier than others.
I'm confused of the lineage of brake mastercyl's. I don't want to upgrade to a servo (power) system. I'd really like the dual circuit system, but can't discern if the dual circuit system was only in conjunction with the servo.
Is the CV (later) better than the CB (earlier) and what's required to change over?
If I'm buying a new master cyl, how about upsizing to the one for the 109? How much less feel would I get?
Has anyone found another make/model that exchanges favorably (there's quite the U-pull yard near here..and all I need is the slightest excuse to go)?

ANd finally reservoirs: Assuming that I don't upgrade to dual circuit (else I'll have a bunch of add'l questions) what are the reservoir options? I've seen the updated metal one at BP which requires a new line, but I'd prefer the plastic one which is listed as NLA by the hosts. Any other options?

Thanks!

Eric W S
02-18-2008, 10:03 AM
The original metal one is still being made. It was a cross over from triumphs (or another UK Marque). The folks on the Series 2 BBS provided a contact on where to get one. Might be pricey due to the exchange rate and shipping though.

I'll dig the link up.

leafsprung
02-18-2008, 10:38 AM
1) Depends largely on the condition of the bore. If its damaged or pitted beyond honing replace it or sleave it. Aside from that, your sucess will depend largely on the quality of the rubber parts you use.
2) The dual circuit systems were used in conjunction with the servo on factory applications.
3)The later CV is no better its just cheaper to manufacture and therefore less expensive.
4)The 109 master will give you more volume but less line pressure (see bernoulli)
5)any master with the same bore and stroke will work. Ive seen many different ones used from GM, willwood, volvo, subaru etc etc
6) Get an original metal one. The plastic one has a rubber hose for the low pressure line which is not very neat.

Good luck and happy stopping

Regards
-Ike

What is the general success rate of rebuilding the original unit? I had success rebuilding other makes/models but some are always quirkier than others.
I'm confused of the lineage of brake mastercyl's. I don't want to upgrade to a servo (power) system. I'd really like the dual circuit system, but can't discern if the dual circuit system was only in conjunction with the servo.
Is the CV (later) better than the CB (earlier) and what's required to change over?
If I'm buying a new master cyl, how about upsizing to the one for the 109? How much less feel would I get?
Has anyone found another make/model that exchanges favorably (there's quite the U-pull yard near here..and all I need is the slightest excuse to go)?

ANd finally reservoirs: Assuming that I don't upgrade to dual circuit (else I'll have a bunch of add'l questions) what are the reservoir options? I've seen the updated metal one at BP which requires a new line, but I'd prefer the plastic one which is listed as NLA by the hosts. Any other options?

Les Parker
02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
So, to clarify:- you are looking to replace the original with the:-

1) Least expense,
2) Ease of replacement for the future
3) To improve the effiecency of the braking system.

To maintain the system as it is , would be the easiest, stocks for this should be good for many years to come (PLC228 priced at $79.95).
To upgrade to the 109" (1" internal bore as to the 88" 7/8"), would not make that much of an improvement, unless you had 11" front brakes also.

The plastic reservoir kit, is currently NLA, we are looking to resource them in the near future.
RN does have a source on used, if this would work.

Hope this is of assistance,

Regards