PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Deck in a SIII 109 soft top

BellaCoola
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Just picked up a car stereo deck for the SIII.

Wondering where people have mounted theirs? I have a cubby that I have made and am thinking it should go there...but open to ideas.

Also where did you draw power from?

Speaker mount points?

109 SIII Softop

Pics appreciated.

www.freewebs.com/83s3109 (http://www.freewebs.com/83s3109)

msggunny
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I will get you some pics when i get home.

I use a Tuffy security console, run the wires through the parking brake boot and to the battery.

You could most likely drill a hole and rubber grommet it right under the cubby and run the wires that way, so you dont see them.

My speakers are in the back, they are the Tuffy speaker/stoage boxes with 6x9's.

Mine could be done to look more professional but it works for me.

S11A
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I have seen a lot of people mount the unit vertically in the cubby box. Does this cause issues with playing CDs? Are there certain units that allow vertical mounting or would any of them work

Jim-ME
02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I have had experience in this reguard but it was my son's Jeep. A CD player skips much less if mounted either flat or at an angle. Earlier Tuffy consoles did not mount the CD player at an angle and they skipped on every bump. The new Tuffy consoles all seem to mount them correctly so they don't skip as badly. If oyu buy a used one make sure the CD will be mounted at an angle.
Jim

groundhog
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
A couple of ideas: I used the La Salle door liners to mount my speakers. Also I used a wedge 10 inch subwoofer in the rear for some bass. It takes alot of RMS wattage to hear anything in a Series. I had also planned to use some 20 mm waterproof surplus ammo cans to mount speakers in the back. these are approx 18x12x7 inch cans. You could get the speaker wire connector parts at Radio Shack. They would easily bolt to the floor of the 109 to prevent theft.
Bruce

BellaCoola
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM
With using the ammo cans, would you notice a difference in sound as opposed to a wood box? Yeah I know that I'm going to struggle with high fidelity sound anyways..but want to do the best I can.

Where did you draw power from?

S11A
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
In terms of power, I would not run a high watt amp through the ignition switch. You could run a relay through the ignition switch for all accessories but actually draw the power directly from the battery. That will allow the stereo to be turned off when the key is removed, but not run everything through the switch. That is what I plan to do with my re-wring project, when I get to it. See:

http://www.fd3s.net/electrical/Land-Rover_Wiring_Diagrams_-_Modern_S11A_Diesel.xls

groundhog
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Use some fiberglass insulation to dampen the inside of the can. I ran a fused power line directly from the battery. Some head units have enough power already and don't need an external power amp.
Bruce

BellaCoola
02-23-2008, 02:16 AM
In terms of power, I would not run a high watt amp through the ignition switch. You could run a relay through the ignition switch for all accessories but actually draw the power directly from the battery. That will allow the stereo to be turned off when the key is removed, but not run everything through the switch. That is what I plan to do with my re-wring project, when I get to it. See:

http://www.fd3s.net/electrical/Land-Rover_Wiring_Diagrams_-_Modern_S11A_Diesel.xls

Impressive. This must have taken some time. Thanks as I'm sure this will come in handy more often then not.

I was able to draw both power source Switched/Unswitched directly from the fuse box. There were the appropriate empty terminals that I used (Green<switched and Red<unswitched). I set my ground to a bolt on the firewall/bulkhead. Hooked up some speakers and PRESTO, all seems good.
Tomorrow I'll run the wires through the bulkhead and down underneath and come up under the center seat/cubby box. I can zip tie to an existing wire and what I think is the speedo cable.

I'm going to try and figure out a quick disconect so that I can just unhook the whole think to lift out the cubby and still gain access to the center acess panel.

I decided the most prudent placement of the player was in the cubby. I think I will need to let it vent so I have used a piece of aluminum as a face plate and I think I will drill some holes as well as cut some holes in the side of the cubby. I don't want it getting to hot.

I'll take some pics of the setup when done. Speaker placement is still undecided. I may try to cut to form some boxes for the back by the access panel for the rear lights.

Cheers and thanks again.

scott
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
i used a large ammo can and a square six wire trailer plug. stereo is waterproof and comes out of the truck easily. marine grade alpines sitting in a cargo net hang'n from my hoops. it's getto but functional

scott
02-23-2008, 11:37 AM
here's a thread that has the pics of my sound system,

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399

it's getto but functional

ducttape
02-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I have to tell you, when I bought my Series III there was a center console with a din slot for a radio. I sold the console.

How the heck can all of you hear a radio in your trucks? I can barely hear myself think. When I pull my hood up over my head I notice the (relative) peace and quite. What a joy!

BellaCoola
02-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Spent Friday night fabing up a mount for the deck inside the Cubby. Have a terminal under the cubby and a trailer connector for the power in case I need acess under the center.

Speakers are currently 6x9's in prefab boxes on the floor. Will mount them up as soon as I have time to think about where.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Don't know what you are all complaining about...sounds great, can hear them fine...even at highway speeds...what's disconcerting is now I have to actually watch the speedo for gear shifts as before I just listened.

Thanks to all for the advice.

east high
02-24-2008, 02:17 AM
I saw this thread recently and thought it a neat idea for adding a stereo. Another idea is to add a small speaker or two to the front or sides of the console.

http://p200.ezboard.com/fgunsandroversfrm1.showMessage?topicID=8169.topic

BellaCoola
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Here are two picutres of my stereo installation. Unit is mounted in my cubby and all wiring is underneath the cubby with a quick disconnect (trailer connector) for the power.

Speakers are in pre-fab 6x9 boxes on the floor for the time being until I decide where to permantently mount them.

Cheers and thanks for all the ideas.