PDA

View Full Version : Trying to bring back my Series III 109

slemoine
02-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I moved out to AZ a couple years back and unfortunately had to leave my Series III 109 FFR with the 2.25l petrol engine back at my house in CT. Recently I have decided to go back home to get it up and running so I can ship it out to AZ so I can acually enjoy it once again. For the first year it was started regularly by my father but he passed away and my mom won't touch the thing so last time I was home about six months ago it wouldn't start, which I would expect from it sitting. Aside from getting it to start I was just looking for suggestions on what else I should probably take a look at since it has been sitting for quite some time now. I do have a repair manual and plan on flushing all the fluids but I can't seem to find it right now so I will either order a new one or keep looking but until then I was hoping someone may be able to help me remember what the recommended fluid types are for everything. Thanks for your help

greenmeanie
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I also am bringin a 109 that has been sitting for a while down to AZ. Having an unknown vehicle that has sat for the better part of a year made me decide to ship it on a car transporter which than lets me inspect and repair at my leasure. If you can do any repairs up there all the better. Working in the summer heat in AZ sucks!

- I would first check that the engine turns by hand. If not follow the usual procedures with penetrating oil etc.
- You are right to change all the fluids. If it moves, grease it.
- I would also pull apart the entire brake system and overhaul it. Rubber seals do not like sitting idle. Rubber jump hoses should also be inspected for perishing.
- If you can get it running I would get her good and warm and then look underneath for oil leaks. Oil seals again do not like to sit idle.
- You will probably have to replace the battery. For a little insurance it does not hurt to check the condition of your charge system with a multimeter.
- Have a good look for dry rot and cracking on the tyres.

Some of this may be overkill depending on how long the truck has been sitting but in the long run these are your basics.

Cheers
Gregor

Jeff Aronson
02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Since it has been sitting for a long time, you want to revive it with care.

You're right about the fluid replacement, but first, take a look at the fluids [color, smell, etc.] as they will give you some clues about the condition of the car. You're feeling the hypoid oil to see about metal filings, or excessive moisture [foaming mayo look]. You want to know if the brake and clutch fluids look blackish - you may have deteriorating seals. You should probably drain the gas tank, too, and put in fresh gas. You may need to clean out the carb from the varnish that seems to settle in with old gas.

Remove the spark plugs and squirt in some engine oil. Turn the engine with the crank, or with a socket, to move the oil around the rings. If it moves freely, great. If not, don't force it because you don't want to break a ring. You're going to change the oil soon anyway, so maybe you want to consider some Rislone [the "drive anytime" version or Marvel Mystery Oil] as a lubricant for the upper end and to possibly help seal a ring, if necessary.

Replace the plugs but disconnect the coil to distributor wire. Then crank the engine over on the starter [no choke or ignition]. Get your oil pressure up, and then reconnect. Check the points; if they're pitted and can't be filed smooth and flat, replace them. Put in fresh gas and give it a try; it will probably start.

Your clutch may be stuck so you'll need to free it. Once the car starts, try starting it in gear and pushing down on the clutch several times. It should free up, if necessary.

Assuming the clutch is ok, the brakes are the next concern. The hoses, lines and/or cylinders might have been rotted or rusted. So remove each wheel and drum, and look for signs of brake fluid leakage. You should plan on replacing or renewing the wheel cylinders.

Check the wheel lug nuts and make certain they're tight, too.

Having said all this, I bought one of my current Series Rovers by getting in a car that had just sat and driving it 250 miles home, with only a few leaks and a bad generator.

Good luck and enjoy your FFR!

Jeff