PDA

View Full Version : Importing Series Vehicles...

xrover
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I was recently put in touch with a reputable company that completely rebuilds series II and IIa Rovers. They tear them down and rebuild them using new parts. Bolts and all. Most of them have only 500 or less miles on the actual rebuild but, show actual chassis milage on the odometers.

My question is, Has anyone ever imported one of these and what are the actual costs?

I am looking at US customs info and the paperwork seems to be fairly straight forward. The duty, tax, fees, port charges, etc... I cant seem to wrap my mind around them and US Customs wasnt very clear either.

These things can be had for 13000.00 USD plus the import charges. I think it's a good deal for what you get.

S11A
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Nature Rovers? Their price on eBay for a fully restored one is $13K. I haven't dealt with them, but the price seems very good.

Jeff Aronson
02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Boy, this sounds too good to be true. Only $13,000 for a Land Rover that has been rebuilt, nuts and bolts and engine and transmission and drivetrain? The only Nature Rovers I found on the internet was a rental company in Costa Rica; are you talking about Mi Rover?

Now Costa Rica was a CKD kit country for Land Rover, but that was a long time ago. I met the Land Rover importer for Costa Rica once, a really pleasant and focused guy. He does support Series Rovers and wants to keep them running in his country. I wonder if he is involved with this effort.

Even allowing for lower wages, Costa Rica uses the US dollar as its currency, so I don't see how a $13,000 refurbished Rover can be created. If it's true and the work is up to par, please spread the word. More Series Rovers - please!!!!

Jeff

xrover
02-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I am finding out that the duty and tax is extreme... Unless I am looking this up wrong. It looks like the following:

3250.00 = 25 percent tariff tax

465.00 Customs charge

1625.00 = .125 port tax (for it being on a freighter thru the port)

200.00 = random document fees

1500.00 = average shipping cost into US port via ship container

1000.00 = average trucking cost to deliver

This would make the total cost about 21,040.00 Give or take.

It's starting to look a bit crazy... Unless I have overdone the charges. Seems like a lot.

The guy also said they have about 20K into each of these and are taking the loss to bring capital to the business.

S11A
02-22-2008, 06:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Fully-Restored-Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Truly-Rare-Truck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6296QQihZ011QQite mZ320219484760QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Nature Rovers is the same company that rents them. Their web site changed, and the photos of the restoration process are now gone. Maybe they didn't get the market for these they thought, and are getting out of the business? They had the same ones as on the eBay listing, and a lot more. Looked like they did a ton of work on them. as part of the process. The original eBay listing for these was around $40K, if I remember correctly. That seemed about right given the work/content. At $13K it might be a steal. However, I have not seen these in person and don't know anything beyond the web stuff I have seen.

Jim-ME
02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I emailed them about the availability of early front wing panels for a 2a and their answer was that they currently don't have any in stock but are thinking about doing a production run. I asked them to keep me informed. The pictures on the Ebay ad looked really nice but I won't know until I get my hands on one about quality and the gauge of the alluminum. With pass info along as I receive it.
Jim

Saxondog
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I imported a used Series III. The container shipping was $1500
The customs official waived the .125 fee, because they knew I was importing for myself and they ran me around a little. Dept of Ag made me have it pressure washed before it could leave port, that cost me $75.00, towed it home behind my Dodge PU end of story.

PH4
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I have imported two and it was not that difficult. I think you can come out ahead importing them but you really need to know what to look for in a series as far as what is good v. bad. Lot of information on internet but nothing beats looking at as many first hand as possible. I have not imported any from Costa Rica but I did live down there for a summer and saw a good many in decent shape. I believe the one you are considering was, as someone pointed out, originally going for well over $20k. You may be able to get a good deal but I think they actually made a good deal of the parts for the restorations themselves.

JimC
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Import duty is 2.5 percent - not 25 percent!

greenmeanie
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM
To give you a ball park when I imported my 101 from the UK a few years ago I paid about $4.5K for a shipping agent to do a door to door service from northern England to London docks, deal with UK customs, ship to LA docks, deal with US customs etc. pay taxes and haul her to Phoenix for a 40ft container with two vehciles. I sold half the container to a friend for his car so I only paid about $2.5K all in. Beyond that I think I paid about $400 dollars in tax to the state of Arizona. Bringing one from Bolivia shouldn't be near as expensive as that. If you go the container route you could also sell the remaining volume for parts for other people.

Cheers
Gregor

ducttape
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
you might mean this place:

www.landrovercentre.com/ http://www.landrovercentre.com/

I was looking at them before I found something stateside. No personal experience, just the link. Let me know what you find?

xrover
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I will be checking into both the use of an import agent and figuring it out on my own this week.

I will repost with the updated info I find. Sounds like it's a great deal. Anyone else interested in getting in on these?

We could split the cost of the container, etc...

ducttape
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Very possibly, yes

leafsprung
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
In general, stuff in the UK is junk. Many great land rovers are already in the US at very reasonable prices. Which is probably why I have EXported the last 3 land rovers I have sold.

-Ike

gambrinus
02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Blanchard's in the U.K. has a good reputation for not screwing over seas buyers. Friend got an ex-MOD rig that they did a mechanical "freshening" on. VERY nice rig for what he paid.

RW

BPS2013
08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi all - specifically, what are the best years or models of the Series vehicles to import to the US? I live in Costa Rica and it seems like there are many great options here and they seem to be rather scarce in the US.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Brett

wharmening
08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi RW

I am looking for 109s. I live in Florida and shipping here is very reasonable Please let me know your thoughts or you can call me at 407-383-3960

thanks

Bill

REDrum
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi RW

I am looking for 109s. I live in Florida and shipping here is very reasonable Please let me know your thoughts or you can call me at 407-383-3960

thanks

Bill

109s are very scarce in CR. 88s are almost as abundant as gringos. But prices on good conditioned SIIA and SIII are going up rapidly. I've seen 50% increase in 5 years.

o2batsea
08-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Series 2A by a mile, followed by Series 3 and there's always buyers fo solid Series Ones.
A good 2A is very very hard to find. They are the quintessential Land Rover. The entire marque began its downhill slide after 1968 and has never recovered.

moodhair
09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I imported a used Series III. The container shipping was $1500
The customs official waived the .125 fee, because they knew I was importing for myself and they ran me around a little. Dept of Ag made me have it pressure washed before it could leave port, that cost me $75.00, towed it home behind my Dodge PU end of story.

Yep that was my experience - very easy considering the logistics involved.