PDA

View Full Version : Saggy Rear End

Bostonian1976
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
...no, not mine...

so - besides the obvious body alignment issues that I've yet to sort.....I swear the rear end of my truck appears to sag. In your expert Rover opinions, are the rear springs sagging in the back? Or is it the body misalignment that is creating the illusion? The gap between the body and rear wheel seems really small to me....

I'd like to switch to parabolics in the near future - let's just say the frost heaves up in New Hampshire give a new definition to 'bumpy ride'...

thanks in advance

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2284805436_254f68d3a2_b.jpg

LaneRover
02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
In this photo it is potentially hard to tell. At the moment I would say no.

If you go to a pretty level spot and take a shot from the middle of the vehicle it would help. (At the moment it looks like you lined up with the back of the vehicle) Keep the front wheels straight and make sure you are pretty close to the front and back ends being the same distance from you. (stepping back and using the zoom function sometimes helps.)

Brent

Bostonian1976
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
right - good point - that shot has the truck pointing downhill too.

I realized I don't have too many from-the-side shots.......here's the only other I have which is more level ground in an old car port I kept it in for a few months...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/untitled1.jpeg

S11A
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I would suggest measuring from the frame to the ground at front and rear. Measuring at the top of the wheel well may not be accurate, as I think (but am not sure) that the rear wheel openings are lower than the fronts. To me, a lot of the Series cars look low at the rear, in particular the 109 station wagons. That could be due to sagging springs, or the fender openings.

Bostonian1976
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
maybe the bulkhead tilts backward, which gives a backward impression of the fenders and doors ?? I don't know - this body alignment thing baffles me...

Momo
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, it's sagging- look at the front end, notice how it's pointed up a bit. Then follow the body lines back and notice how the rear is low.

Also the lack of sill panels makes it look a little out of balance.

And if your bulkhead was noticably raked nothing would fit at all.

Be careful with new springs though- Pick carefully or you could end up with a lifted rear end like some 78 Camaro...88s are light

LaneRover
02-22-2008, 09:53 PM
I would say that it looks like the backend is a bit lower than it should be but not too badly.

Brent

greenmeanie
02-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Be careful with new springs though- Pick carefully or you could end up with a lifted rear end like some 78 Camaro...88s are light

If you carry a load at all as you seem to and also have a hard top you are pretty much like my 71IA. Rocky Mountain 2 leaf fronts and 3 leaf rears work well on my truck without making it look like a dragster just to give you a reference point.

Cheers
Gregor

Bostonian1976
02-23-2008, 08:54 AM
thanks - yeah I think I want to go the Parabolic route.

What's wrong with looking like a '78 Camaro? :D

Will it be a job I can do in a weekend? I think my fronts are actually pretty new (right before I bought it), so is it possible to do parabolic rears and standard fronts?

Terrys
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Has your truck been reframed, or seriously dissassembled? The body and door cappings are out of line, but the door gaps between bulkhead, and tub say that the front edge of the tub is high, since getting the door'bulkhead gap even will lower the back of the door even more.
These can be a pain to realign, especially on a Marsland chassis. It takes alot of back and forth adjustment.
Personally, I don't think the ass end of your's is too low.

Bostonian1976
02-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Has your truck been reframed, or seriously dissassembled? The body and door cappings are out of line, but the door gaps between bulkhead, and tub say that the front edge of the tub is high, since getting the door'bulkhead gap even will lower the back of the door even more.
These can be a pain to realign, especially on a Marsland chassis. It takes alot of back and forth adjustment.
Personally, I don't think the ass end of your's is too low.

yeah - it's something I've wanted to correct for awhile now.

it was reframed prior to my purchase, and is definitely out of whack....