PDA

View Full Version : RR Classic- what to look for?

Momo
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a good friend who is looking into buying a RR Classic, but I suspect he's too lazy to research what the best model years were. I know that Classics had some production years that are best avoided, and as with most vehicles, some components with a particularly high failure rate.

Being a Series guy and ignorant to RR stuff, I thought I'd ask you guys-

Best/worst year?
Pitfalls?
Inspection tips?
Anything else that a buyer should know?

Thanks

Dubv1980
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
First off...as far as years go, I'm sure everyone has their favorites, but there doesn't seem to be an opinion on good vs. bad years, its just deciding what features you want and which ones you don't (ABS, air suspension, LWB, etc)

As far as things to watch for...a lot of the interior electric stuff tends to poop out and people don't fix them, but they are all easy and rather cheap to fix, so don't sweat bad window switches or seat controls.

As usual, rust...the upper tailage usually goes bad, and can be easily replaced, but it does cost in the 800 dollar or more region for a replacement.

The tops of the front wheel wells on the inside of the engine compartment rust too.

The power steering pumps tend to leak a bit, but they also tend to work as long as you keep the fluid up, or so has been my experience.

Watch for the ECU stuff..some of the fixes are cheap and easy..others not. In comparison to a series truck, you've got the Cat. Converters to think about, and oxygen sensors..both of which are maintenance and wear items, and will cost not an insignificant amount.

I'm sure other folks will chime in..those were a few things to look at from me.

www.rangerovers.net is a great resource.

Chris

91 Range Rover Classic Hunter
74 MGB GT
73 Series III

Fitzhugh
02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Robison Service Center offers a CustomFind service for finding Range Rover classics. I don't vouch for it, but it's worth looking into.

They also offer waxoyl rustproofing, which in theory would be well worth doing. I don't know if waxoyl works but I do wish that I had purchased a rust free classic (check under the front carpets!).

I'd also note that there are Range Rovers at the same price point, say $3000, of wildly different quality. Make sure the owner of the car didn't stint on upkeep.

I have a 1992 County. It's issues have been rust, passing emissions, battery drain, and a broken parking break. It's a solid car though; it faired very well in an encounter with a stone wall. I heartily recommend that your friend get one.

Mike Koch
03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I found this article by John Robison to be quite informative regarding a professional overview of the Range Rover Classic:

http://www.roversnorth.com/web/downloads/rnnews/NSP15_pg2.pdf