PDA

View Full Version : got my belgium series 3 4x2 home today

autoguy
02-25-2008, 12:07 AM
well i bought the 4x2 Ex belgium military 88 that series 3 was local, the guy delivered it today :D

now the fun starts

it was 24 volt and has been converted to 12 with a delco alternator and the proper coil and distributor

it has the zenith carb on it that i think i need to fiddle with, my 88 has a miss and no power but it does run and idle, the exhaust smells gassy so i am thinking i either have an air/vacuum leek or the carb is tuned too rich, but i have not had time today or the energy to fiddle with it :)

i am going to get the interior cleaned out tomorrow

stupid question, is there a trick to getting the internal passenger door lock to actually lock, i tried pushing the button/knob on the door above the handle in and i locked as long as i was holding the button in, but as soon as i released the button it was unlocked

we now have two rovers sitting in our driveway, dads disco series 2 and my series 3 :) mom is thinking about getting a disco series 2 when her jaguar is payed off too :)

i have heard it said that an old vehicle chooses its new owner, well mine locked me in as soon as i shut the door when i looked at it saturday, so i told my 88 that as long as the frame was good and it started and ran than i could have a new home in my driveway and i would be its new owner/care taker, well it sits in my driveway now :)

i know some people here are curious as to how the transfer case and front axle look on the 4x2 and i will get picts taken tomorrow as long as its not raining (the weather guessing people are talking rain though)

i have the front axle, drive shaft and transfer case to convert my 88 to 4x4 and when it gets warm i will get that done, the guy i bought my rover from is going to ship the two levers i need the hi/lo lever and the yellow knobbed 4wd lever/stick :) the ground is too cold to swap the axle and transfer case now :)

thank you again to all the people here who helped guide me in my decision to buy my rover, thank you for all your advice and opinions and steering me away from a couple of rovers :)

i am home now and DSL is a very good thing :D i was using dial up at my grandma,s

Hormel
02-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Never a stupid question. Did you try twisting the knob after pushing it in? Least that's the way on the series IIs. Some might ask why lock...

Welcome to spending a lot of time under the hood or on your back.
John

autoguy
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Never a stupid question. Did you try twisting the knob after pushing it in? Least that's the way on the series IIs. Some might ask why lock...

Welcome to spending a lot of time under the hood or on your back.
John

thanks, i tried twisting the knob a bit but i might not have gotten it twisted far enough, i will try again monday :)

the hilarious part about me locking the rover is that the drivers door lock, locks with a screwdriver, the ignition key does not fit the lock hole, so it could easily be unlocked with a screwdriver :)

i figure if i lock my rover that it will deter said thief for a few seconds and i can grab a gun or let my boxer loose after said thief, the boxer is crotch trained :eek:

LaneRover
02-25-2008, 12:51 AM
the boxer is crotch trained[/B] :eek:

Just pray that the Boxer never gets confused when attacking!

autoguy
02-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Just pray that the Boxer never gets confused when attacking!

LOL :) I would be inside if I let him after said thief :)

on a serious note, right now the battery is dead in my rover and the gas is shut off and it has a miss, it has a zenith carb

I will upload the Picts I took on the way home of my 88 on the trailer, Monday afternoon

sayers
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Lets see some pic's good luck with your project !

Tim Smith
02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
stupid question, is there a trick to getting the internal passenger door lock to actually lock, i tried pushing the button/knob on the door above the handle in and i locked as long as i was holding the button in, but as soon as i released the button it was unlocked

Never a stupid question when you're asking on this board! :)

When my SIII door locks go up but won't stay, it usually means that the door isn't locked all the way. Give her a good slam and see if that helps. Put your weight into it.

Also with, my truck, when the doors start to need a good slam I usually take that as a sign to add a drop of oil to the lock mechanisms. Seriously! Take some time (an afternoon) to put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil to all of the little moving parts in the truck. You'll find that it does wonders for making the doors, shifters, peddles, cables and everything else work as they should.

It's good therapy for the truck and yourself.
:thumb-up:

---
By the way, I still say your money was better invested on those Rolex's. Although you should find that owning a series rover is, in fact, priceless.

Cheers,
Tim

ducttape
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Aren't pictures required for all new purchases? :D

autoguy
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Tim Smith, thanks i will either use 3 in 1 or brake free gun oil, i have some militec gun oil too that is slicker than snot, i might use it :)

my 88 also came with the 24V starter and generator, which are both heavy by the way :)

ducttape and sayers, mmm pictures :) i will get more picts taken this afternoon, and will get the picts uploaded from my iphone that i took on the trip home with my 88 on the trailer ride home

i need to think up a name for my rover too :)

picts from the previous owner :)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/BelgianLR018.jpg?t=1203962551

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/BelgianLR016.jpg?t=1203962551

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/BelgianLR015.jpg?t=1203962552

Tim Smith
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
i need to think up a name for my rover too :)

picts from the previous owner :)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/BelgianLR018.jpg?t=1203962551

Name for the rover eh?
Hmm, I can't help but notice the name of that vapor barrier on the garage in the back ground. :p

Just a thought.

Take care,
Tim

autoguy
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Name for the rover eh?
Hmm, I can't help but notice the name of that vapor barrier on the garage in the back ground. :p

Just a thought.

Take care,
Tim

thanks for pointing it out, thats hilarious and ironic, green guard :D might work for a name :)

autoguy
02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
got my passenger door lock working, gave it a shot of liquid wrench and worked it a bit, thanks for the tip, Tim Smith :)

where is the chassis number located at on the chassis ?, not the one on the bulkhead but the number on the frame, or is it the vin number ?

highmile
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
the VIN number should be stamped on the front right frame horn just behind the bumper.

autoguy
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
the VIN number should be stamped on the front right frame horn just behind the bumper.

thanks i will go look soon :)

ducttape
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Ok, it might take a trained eye to notice, but that is a thing of beauty

David

sayers
02-26-2008, 08:47 AM
How about something like Karl or Hans, a couple of good beligum names. good luck

autoguy
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok, it might take a trained eye to notice, but that is a thing of beauty

David

thanks :) it looks a lot better now that i got all the leaves off the floor and the birds nest out of the dash :)

sayers, i like the idea of a belgium name :) thanks

it snowed here today and is 30 degrees so i dont think i will crawl under to get picts of the transfer case today :)

LaneRover
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
For naming find a Belgian Abbey that makes a really good beer.

Tim Smith
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Or if you consider this truck your new baby...
http://www.babynamesworld.com/category-belgian-names.html

I like "Lodewijk the Destroyer"
:)

autoguy
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
LaneRover, i like that idea but i only drink guinness :)

Tim Smith, thanks for the link, i like lodewijk (a bit hard to spell) :) but i will look at the link too :)

jp-
02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Gozer the Gozarian

Firemanshort
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Is this a real Belgian 4x2 military Land Rover?

Those are pretty rare. It would seem a shame to modify this rare 2 wheel drive example to the more pedestrian 4 wheel drive when there are comparitively a ton more 4x4's already available to purchase.

Naturally - I am all talk as I have neither time, money, space nor spouse permission to assume responsibility of rescue and restoration of a "classic".

yorker
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM

http://www.ommegang.com/

http://www.ommegang.com/omm_images/beers_imap.jpg

:thumb-up: Rare Vos and Hennepin are awesome.

autoguy
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Is this a real Belgian 4x2 military Land Rover?

Those are pretty rare. It would seem a shame to modify this rare 2 wheel drive example to the more pedestrian 4 wheel drive when there are comparitively a ton more 4x4's already available to purchase.

Naturally - I am all talk as I have neither time, money, space nor spouse permission to assume responsibility of rescue and restoration of a "classic".

yes my rover is a real 4x2 belgium military :) there is no permanent modification to converting it to 4x4 :) we get some funky winters here in KC and i want 4x4 :)

yorker, thanks :) i have almost decided on ludwijg :)

LaneRover
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM

SO...... ... "Fat Belgian Bastard" wouldn't be a good choice?

Well, you do need a name for when it is being a bit mischevious and is pissing you off a bit.

Brent

yorker
02-26-2008, 04:00 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Tintin%26Snowy.png

Since it is Belgian Tintin seems appropriate in a whimsical way...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/TintinCast.gif

autoguy
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
SO...... ... "Fat Belgian Bastard" wouldn't be a good choice?

Well, you do need a name for when it is being a bit mischevious and is pissing you off a bit.

Brent

fat Belgian Bastard would be a good choice for when it is acting up :)

yorker, but the rovers are aluminum :) plus, no offense but tintin sounds a bit gay

Tim Smith
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
no offense but tintin sounds a bit gay
LOL
Just look at the pictures!

autoguy
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
LOL
Just look at the pictures!

exactly :)

O'Brien
02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Tintin has been in rover since before most of us were born:nono: they even sell offical Tintin rovers! history friends, learn it!

man, i like the image above so much, i'm changing my icon:D

Paul Rossmann
02-27-2008, 06:46 AM
You are correct. I remember when my son found a Rover (driven by Thompson & Thompson) in one of the TinTin books. "Look dad, they have your car!" However, there are no really good names in the whole lot. Captain Haddock? Professor Calculus?

On the other hand I was inspired by "Popeye" and my green 88 is named "Olyve." It comes in handy when my otherwise perfect wife complains of the stain in the driveway. "Why honey, that's just Olyve oil." (insert Popeye laugh here).

"Swea'pea" would be a good name for a green Rover, although "Swea'pea oil" doesn't have as good of a ring to it.

madp
02-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Great new rover! You're going to have a lot of fun with that.
I think the best Rover name ever comes for the best Rover movie ever and that would be "The Anit-Christ" from "The Gods Must Be Crazy" I think it fits any Rover. :D

yorker
02-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Tintin is one of those quintessential Belgian contributions to the world. Plus it has the cutesy nickname twang that fits a quirky LR. I guess the average American isn't exposed to Tintin and aware of the background and connection between the Tintin books and LRs. It might sound kind of gay but few 2wd series 3 88s are accused of being a burly manly testosterone machine either! ;) 2.25l, 6.00 16s...

But hey! at least the Rover isn't French- then you'd be stuck with Asterix and Obelix :D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Asterix_the_gaul.jpg

yorker
02-27-2008, 07:47 AM
On the other hand I was inspired by "Popeye" and my green 88 is named "Olyve." It comes in handy when my otherwise perfect wife complains of the stain in the driveway. "Why honey, that's just Olyve oil." (insert Popeye laugh here).

That is a pretty cool name- quirky, vintage, and sort of funny when you think of the more famous nickname that emerged from the Popeye series:
;)

Paul Rossmann
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM
That, and Popeye doesn't have the Jeep any more (got old and died?), but he'll aways have Olive (not Olyve), who like the Rover, is timelss, fickle and cantankerous.

Tim Smith
02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Tintin has been in rover since before most of us were born:nono: they even sell offical Tintin rovers! history friends, learn it!
Although I knew about Tintin from when I was a child and probably read a few adventures too, I didn't know that he was a rover driver.

Rest assured I will never slight Tintin again! :o

Tim Smith
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Although I knew about Tintin from when I was a child and probably read a few adventures too, I didn't know that he was a rover driver.

Rest assured I will never slight Tintin again! :o
And now, after reading my last post, let me further clear things up by saying that I believe the correct spelling of the word should have been "ghay".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghay

Just in case there could be a misunderstanding about other preconceptions on the list. Right autoguy?

<Phew, I think that coveres everything now...>

autoguy
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
And now, after reading my last post, let me further clear things up by saying that I believe the correct spelling of the word should have been "ghay".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghay

Just in case there could be a misunderstanding about other preconceptions on the list. Right autoguy?

<Phew, I think that coveres everything now...>

aye, yep yer right, I see the error of my ways :)

madp, thanks :) that movie was wicked awesom :) the guy I bought my ludwijg from has a series 1

LaneRover
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
You mean it doesn't mean 'Happy' anymore?

What kind of 'time' were we supposed to have while watching the Flintstones?

It all seems a bit queer to me.....