PDA

View Full Version : turning radius

siii8873
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
what is the expected turning radius of an 88" rover. Mine seems pretty wide, wider than any other 4wd's I've owned. When I first set my wheel stops I was conservative and couldn't believe how bad the turning radius was. I jacked up the front end, turned in the stop bolts, turned the wheel all the way to one side, adjusted the stop bolt to touch the tab, backed off the wheel and then turned the bolt one turn. Repeated on the other side. Going back, the first thing I did was find the center of the steering box and adjusted the drop arm to straight down and the other arms per the manual. Is this just what I get or do I need to do some further adjustments, can't think of any.
Bob

LaneRover
02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
If my memory serves me correctly the stock turning radius is somewhere around 35 ft (or is that the 109?)

Some people have used Defender rims to get a better turning radius because the offset of the rim is different. Skinny tires also help.

Brent

Bostonian1976
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
weird - my turning radius seems very good

TeriAnn
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Factory specs (1971) for the turning circle are:

88 - 38 feet
109 - 47 feet

Obviously this can vary with different wheels, tyre widths and wheel spacers.

Jeff Aronson
02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
TeriAnn's figures tell the story - it is a wide turning radius and probably greater than any other 4 x 4 of a more recent vintage. Fortunately, you can see the edges of the car so all the "Y" turns you will have to make are easy to accomplish :)

Jeff

LaneRover
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
TeriAnn's figures tell the story - it is a wide turning radius and probably greater than any other 4 x 4 of a more recent vintage. Fortunately, you can see the edges of the car so all the "Y" turns you will have to make are easy to accomplish :)

Jeff

And its not like you need to pay attention to curbs ALL the time....

ducttape
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
And its not like you need to pay attention to curbs ALL the time....

THAT is the right answer :thumb-up: