PDA

View Full Version : New to the community

sailtech
02-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I've received from the forum. I'm new to auto restoration in general and rovers specifically.

I've attached a picture of the 1969 RHD Series IIa that I rescued last fall.

It's difficult to explain to my wife why I would want to scrape my knuckles and pour money into what she refers to as "the british heap," when I could buy a nice shiny one on eBay. It's nice to read posts from other people who share the addiction/affliction/obsession.

Thanks again.

TSR53
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome on-board! Looks like a nice find. Ahh, the wife will get over it. It's the smell of old original grease rather than restored grease that makes it so pleasurable upside down an your back staring at your new project. Just have some quiet time with her down below and you're good to go.

greenmeanie
02-26-2008, 09:24 AM
It's difficult to explain to my wife why I would want to scrape my knuckles and pour money into what she refers to as "the british heap," when I could buy a nice shiny one on eBay. It's nice to read posts from other people who share the addiction/affliction/obsession.

Thanks again.

It's quite easy really. My wife knows she will never lose me to another woman - a truck on the other hand. My wife also knows that if we are walking down the street and my head turns and I get all excited that I am not oggling another woman - it is either military green or an old truck or preferably both.

Just tell her it easier to be jealous of a truck than another woman. Then be prepred to spend many hours sleeping under your truck.

Cheers
Gregor

BackInA88
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Here's what I did.

Asked her why she is buying new shoes when there are 20 nice shiny ones in the closet?
Why she is buying new clothes when there are some still in the closet with the tags still on?
Why are there new clothes with the tags going in the Goodwill bag?

Than I slept in the basement a couple nights!:p
But she never complains about the stuff I buy for my rigs anymore.:thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
02-26-2008, 09:45 AM
One great advantage of doing the restoration or refurbishment yourself is that you will know what work has been accomplished and to what level - rather than relying on the memory or claims of the P.O. You'll have less risk of breakdowns because you know the work you did or did not do to the Rover.

The Discovery II ought to keep your wife happier, too.

Jeff

autoguy
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
welcome :) i went the easy rout and dont have a wife, but have 3 classic vehicles

Jim-ME
02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
My love for Series Land Rovers started when I was 15 and on the verge of beginning to drive. My father had purchased a vehicle for my sister and wanted to know what I wanted to drive. I mentioned Jeep but that was quickly replaced by a friend of the family that had a 1960 Rover which I thought was the most totally cool vehicle I had ever seen. We went to the Rover dealer in CT and found a used one for $2000. This was 1970. It was pure love at first sight and my Dad liked the idea of no more than 55 MPH. I drove that Rover until 1976 when the frame caved in the middle and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. It was my origional goal to drive nothing but a Series Rover for ever. Needless to say 1974 hit , importation stopped, dealerships closed and I was left with a empty feeling of sorts. Now fast forward to somewhere around 2000 which is when I found ECR's website and the great work they did bringing back Rovers from the dead and things I never dreamed possible. I was smitten once again. My son left for college in 2006 and I was quite framkly lost simply because we did everything together. At that point I started looking at getting a Rover once again and my better half realized that I needed something to keep me occupied. I found one that was driveable, well almost, she said OK and the rest is history. I now drive it every day and tinker on it almost every night. Have plans to make it 100% again but not necessarily what purists would call a restoration. Truthfully not even close. I love it just the same as if it was perfect and brand new but the best thing for me is that it has given me something to focus on and is something that I can repair because it is so simple. Sorry to ramble on but welcome aboard. The ride is great and you won't find better people on the planet than you will here.
Jim