PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft pulley bolt

tmckeon88
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I need to ask the more experienced mechanics among us about tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt on a series IIA 2.25 petrol engine. I had it off replacing the front oil seal and I got the nut off in the first place by bracing a wrench against the frame and bumping the starter, but that will not work when trying to re-tighten it. Does anyone know a good trick for this? There's enough give in the drivetrain that just turning it doesn't offer enough resistance. Any suggestons would be welcome-

Thanks,

Tom

greenmeanie
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Three ways I've used:
1. Take the starter off and use a chisel or some other device to jam the flywheel teeth. Takes the longest.

2. Push it up against a wall (Best if it is owned by someone else in case of mistakes). Put gearbox in reverse and low range. Now crank on the bolt. There can still be quite a lot of backlash in the drivetrain so it helps if you can have someone to stand on the brakes too. This is quite low tech and a little embarassing to have to do in public.

3. You can pull a plug and post rope into one of the cylinders and make sure to keep the end where you can grab it. Turn the engine until the cylinder locks and bobs your uncle.

Cheers
Gregor

I Leak Oil
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
An impact gun is your friend here....If not then tighten the b'jesus out of the parking brake adjustment, put it in gear and tighten down. The bolt has to be tight but I don't remember any torque spec. There is a lock washer so that will hold it on.
Jason T.

Moose
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I recently used method number two on my truck. Works fairly well once you crank the slack out. When I bent over the tab on the lock washer, naturally it broke so I get to do it all over again once I get a new washer.

Brett

thixon
02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
If you don't have an air compressor to run air tools, then go buy an electric impact gun at lowes/home depot/menards/other huge monstrosity.

You will find about a bazzilion other uses for the impact gun, on the rover, and elsewhere.

Tim Smith
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I once had this nut fall off a crank about 50 miles from home on a semi-test drive after a rebuild. It was a different engine all together that ran a timing belt and was an interfering engine, so I was extremely lucky when I didn't end up loosing the engine...

Long story short, I'd like to change this seal on my 2.25 as well but am scared of this happening again. :eek:

Is there anything wrong with using "thread lock" or some such goo to help ensure the nut stays on?

greenmeanie
02-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Is there anything wrong with using "thread lock" or some such goo to help ensure the nut stays on?

Just make sure it is the blue stuff and not the red which is permanent. No more changing seals for you if you use ther wrong stuff.

jp-
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Just make sure it is the blue stuff and not the red which is permanent. No more changing seals for you if you use ther wrong stuff.

You really don't need any thread locker if you use the locking washer, but I'm sure it won't hurt if you use the blue.

I just put it on with a couple of trigger pulls on my electric impact. She's not going anywhere.

Tim Smith
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I just put it on with a couple of trigger pulls on my electric impact. She's not going anywhere.
Yeah, thats what I did on that other engine.

You'll know that the nut came off when the main pulley gets tossed into the median on I-95 and your charge light and heat gauge go loopy on you. :p

Jim-ME
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
What lock washer are you talking about? I can't find a reference to it anywhere.
Jim

greenmeanie
02-27-2008, 04:36 PM

If it spins you really want to set it to the correct torque. An impact wrench is a great tool for removing bolts but is a horrible way to tighten stuff.

thixon
02-28-2008, 10:22 AM
If it spins you really want to set it to the correct torque. An impact wrench is a great tool for removing bolts but is a horrible way to tighten stuff.

When I assemble a motor, or work on a newer car, I get out the torque wrench. For this, I would'nt worry about it (impact all day). If you're that thorough, congrats! I guess you're more patient than me.:D

greenmeanie
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
When I assemble a motor, or work on a newer car, I get out the torque wrench. For this, I would'nt worry about it (impact all day). If you're that thorough, congrats! I guess you're more patient than me.:D

Meh,
I just work in an industry with high speed rotating machinery and get to see what happens when you get lax. For static components I'm not so fussed but spinning parts require attention.

I also had a rather expensive lesson when I left a socket on the crankshaft nut and have personal experience of the force and damage that results. I don't want a repeat performance with the crankshaft nut.

Between the two I have learned my lessons over the years and for the extra time it takes a torque wrench is cheap insurance. I'm the same way with wheel nuts too.

Cheers
Gregor

thixon
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Meh,
I just work in an industry with high speed rotating machinery and get to see what happens when you get lax. For static components I'm not so fussed but spinning parts require attention.

I also had a rather expensive lesson when I left a socket on the crankshaft nut and have personal experience of the force and damage that results. I don't want a repeat performance with the crankshaft nut.

Between the two I have learned my lessons over the years and for the extra time it takes a torque wrench is cheap insurance. I'm the same way with wheel nuts too.

Cheers
Gregor

I know you're an engineer of some type from reading past posts, and I figured my post would provoke the reponse I got from you. No disrespect meant. I just have a different take than you. :D

The impact wrench will work fine for this (and you know it will). If he took it to a mechanic, that guy would use an impact wrench in this application (and you know he would). I agree that he should'nt get in the habit of using to torque anything and everything, and my recommending it here, without explaining that was irresponsible.

The guy has enough info to make his own decision now. Lets not get into a pansy fight on a web board. Frankly, I think its beneath both of us. You give great advice, and you know your S#$T. H3LL, I'll probably be PM'ing you next week asking you for help when I start putting my truck back together after the frame paint.

greenmeanie
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
No problem Thixon,
Didn't mean to stir it up and I apologize if you thought I was being a wise arse. Just explaining my reasoning for where I come from when I say what I do.

No harm done and I always like talking truck.

Cheers
Gregor