PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Freezing

uralrover
02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I made the choice to save money and converted my Rover Back to RHD, so now my Left hand Drive Fan on my heater spins backwards thus all my heat goes out the Fender. I cannot seem to find anybody who needs a Left hand Fan motor and squirel cage in exchange for a right so I need to know how to rewire my motor to spin backwards and try and squeeze more out of my inadiquate system. Any body tried a Little Yankee inginuity and saved money by rewireing the motor?

If so what do I need to do?

sven
02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Oh man...where were you about a month ago? I have a RHD fan and motor and needed a LHD unit....damn. You can still reverse the polarity on the motor, however it still will not produce enough air flow. So you NEED the correct fan cage.

Terrys
02-29-2008, 09:11 AM
How did you mount a LHD blower motor into the left side of your engine bay? In any case, the rotation of the motor isn't dependant on whether the truck is LHD or RHD.

sven
02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
In any case, the rotation of the motor isn't dependant on whether the truck is LHD or RHD.

Then why is the squirrel cage blades reversed for LHD vs RHD? The cage even shows the direction (arrow ethched into it) of where the blades are supposed to spin...they are different for LHD and RHD. I can snap a pic of it if you want to see.

jp-
02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Then why is the squirrel cage blades reversed for LHD vs RHD? The cage even shows the direction (arrow ethched into it) of where the blades are supposed to spin...they are different for LHD and RHD. I can snap a pic of it if you want to see.

Wait what??

A heater fan is designed to pull air in regardless of which side of the vehicle it is mounted to. I'd love to see the pic either way.

sven
02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Wait what??

A heater fan is designed to pull air in regardless of which side of the vehicle it is mounted to. I'd love to see the pic either way.

I thought it didnt matter too, until I tried it. I used a RHD squirrel cage in a LHD truck, and the flow was terrible. Then I realized you can reverse the polarity of the motor...that took care of the direction of airflow but the performance was terrible. I also rebuilt this fan motor, so its not the motor.

leafsprung
02-29-2008, 11:01 AM
RHD kodiak:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/kodiakrhdweb.jpg

sven
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Ah, since we're showing stuff off... Here's my heater creation. I call it the Mt. Svensfield Heater :D

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sus21/heater/IMG_0183.JPG

uralrover
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Although I love the back and forth chat on whether or not the squirel cage and motor make a difference, yes they do as I've been doing some interesting experiments. It doesn't help me rewire the motor to spin the oposite way. I plan on making a fan blade that pulls air from the Left side of the truck hole and force it through the system proper, I just want to know how to rewire the motor....Or swap the assemblys out with someone who has a RHD unit and needs a left hand drive one.

Thanks though the debat/bantor was entertaining....

JAy
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
It's a DC motor so you should be able to just reverse the polarity. Open up the housing and take the two wires going to the motor and swap them. Of course never having done this I'm not sure if that is actually possible to get at those wires or not. But it should work fine.

Terrys
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't dispute that the squirrel cage blades are skewed in the other direction, since the cage only mounts to the motor from one end. What I was questioning was how was it possible to take a LHD cafe housing, whose suction is on the side, and move it to the other side of the truck,since the suction side would now face inward, as opposed to facing the fender skin. The motor would still be turning in the same direction, in relation to the housing, so it would be sucking the air in from the side and out the discharge, just as it did on the other side of the truck. Not only would the housing need to be opposite handed, so too would the impeller.

uralrover
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
This seems to be a simple enough answer actually, I simply removed the fan motor from the housing. Took the ring the sponge filler circled off. And carefully using pop-rivots and self tapping screws stuck them in on oposite sides. As it was I did the same to the Housing for the heater coil by simply making a hole big enough to allow the fittings to poke through and used a rubber gromit to fill the old holes just in case....

I looked into the motor, I may just order a new one as cheaply as possable and bite the bullet, though mine works fine I just dont want to mess with it all that much, especially now since I'd have to take it out of the truck and thats a pain....