PDA

View Full Version : Over-size tires for LR3

fwilmarth
03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm brand new to this so please pardon any faux pas. On my '06 V8-automatic LR3, the 17k factory GYs are nearly shot (what's new) and I'm considering replacing them with BFG All-Terrain 265/65R18s or Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60R18s. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with either of these or with other over-size tires on this particular vehicle? My concerns are primarily: 1) wheel well clearance in full-lock turns and under heavy articulation and 2): speedometer effects and power reduction due to effective higher geaing. I'd sure appreciate any feedback. This is my first LR, however, I've been a Jeeper for years and understand the issues of over-sizing. Thanks. Frank W.

solihull109
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Not too sure about B.F.G.'s, but I did see someone at Winter Romp with the Nitto's and I was shocked at how well they did. They were on a 2004 D2 and not an LR3, but I don't think that really has any relevance.

groundhog
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure about the exact sizes, but I did see several LR3's with a bit larger tires last year at a rally in Charlottesville,VA. I have had BFG's on my 109, D90, and 1997 Disco. They have great traction on everything except slick mud which tends to pack into the tread. On all of these trucks we have gotten about 60,000 mi out of each set. I'm glad to know that the factory GY will only last about 17K as I just got an 08 LR3 and only have 4500 mi on it. Only 12,500 mi to go!:thumb-up:
Bruce

cachinfool
04-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I had my LR3 in for it's 22.5K service and they told me I would probably need to replace the the tires and have an alignment done at the 30K service, well 2500 miles later I had threads showing on the inside of the two rear tires.:mad: When I talked to the dealer they acted like they had never heard of such a thing as the tires wearing so quickly. I looked on their website at the used LR3's and almost every one of them had brand spaking new tires on them and not the Good Years.:confused:
Replaced them with Toyo Open Country, 285/60/18's from Les Schwab and so far <200 miles have not seen any fit problems. It does feel like I am riding about a foot higher though.
The Speedo seems to be about 1mph slow at 50mph, with the stock Bad Years it read about 2-3mph fast at 50mph.

BleedGreen
07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I've got nearly 50,000 miles on my LR3, taken it through the Nevada desert, the fire roads near desolation point (south of Lake Tahoe) and have not worried about scratches, dirt, kids, dogs and the occasional need to just get off road - the car has been great! no issues unlike my 99' HSE, (let's not go there) or the 88' RRC, it's just not really dependable but the LR3 is, I've had an issue with batteries at around the 20 degree mark (just had it replaced again) and other than that the only thing I'd have to complain about is the BADYEARS, I am on my second set and my in-laws have a bodyshop that I constantly have a 4 wheel alignment done at to help the longevity - the thing is one had a bubble on the inside rear were metal was showing, great! and they wear funny dispite the alignments.
IF YOU DO replace them DO NOT GET GOODYEARS - also Les Scwab offers a siping, get it! the tires run cooler and on slick rock they grab a whole lot better - I'm gonna try the Nitto or the BFG's next time - and it's ready for them right now, I just dont know if I want to sell it and get a X-MoD 109 w/ canvas or not - decisions, decisions

DiscoMania
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I purchased my LR3 HSE with new (not brand new) 19'' Good Year tires. They still have plenty good threads, but I hear a soft humming noise (especially on the left side) at 30 and above mph. On the expressway the car tends to pull left a bit, but no shakes (yet!). Is this because of the Good Year tires? Do you I need an allignment (car has 33k miles).

I don't do off-roading at all, but live in New England - any suggestions on my next set of tires, knowing i'll probably need them soon?

Thanks!!

Proud LR3 owner!

Cred
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Michelin synchrome is a go replacement tire. Had no problem when I replaced my goodyear tires on my 05 LR3.
I think Pirelli Scorpion Zero is also a good possibility. They come on the new Range Rover HSE with 19 inch wheels.

Boaz
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
285/60/18 is the most common replacement tire size for the LR3 and RRS for those who want to use them for off roading. I've had both the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the newer Cooper Zeon LTZ's on mine in that size. With a total diameter of 31.46", that's as big as you can really go without any rubbing. The 265/65/18 size is slightly bigger at 31.56". It's a good rule to keep it under 31.5" if you want to avoid rubbing. But I've also seen a number of LR3's with the more aggressive Cooper Discoverer STT's in 275/65/18, which is 32.07" in total diameter, though they get some rubbing on the rear wheels under full compression.

That being said, I've seen several other LR3's with the BFG's in that size. BFG's are tried and true off road, but if you ask me, they're a little hard. But they are known to last a long time if that's more important to you than performance in extreme off road situations, such as rock climbing. In my opinion, the Coopers are better than the Nittos. They are quieter on-road, and feel stickier both on and off road. I like the wider footprint of the 285 width as well, which gives you more surface area traction, especially when aired down.

If you have 19" wheels, you've been pretty much out of luck for a good off road tire in the U.S. until recently. The G4 spec MT/R's are finally available now in the U.S. as of a few weeks ago in the original size of 255/55/19, but they are very expensive. Expect about $300 per tire for those vs. $175 for the above-mentioned Nittos or Coopers.

Here's a couple pictures.

Cooper Discoverers in 275/65/18
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/LR3/CooperDiscoverersonan05LR32.jpg

BFG's in 265/65/18
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/LR3/LR3WhiteG4-SideFront.jpg

Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285/60/18
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/Great%20Divide%202007/DSCN3344.jpg

Nitto Terra Grapplers vs. new Cooper Zeon LTZ both in 285/60/18
(I used to have a RRS)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/Wheels-Tires/DSCN3229.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/Wheels-Tires/DSCN3234.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/boaz63/Wheels-Tires/DSCN3230.jpg

cachinfool
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I had my LR3 in for it's 22.5K service and they told me I would probably need to replace the the tires and have an alignment done at the 30K service, well 2500 miles later I had threads showing on the inside of the two rear tires.:mad: When I talked to the dealer they acted like they had never heard of such a thing as the tires wearing so quickly. I looked on their website at the used LR3's and almost every one of them had brand spaking new tires on them and not the Good Years.:confused:
Replaced them with Toyo Open Country, 285/60/18's from Les Schwab and so far <200 miles have not seen any fit problems. It does feel like I am riding about a foot higher though.
The Speedo seems to be about 1mph slow at 50mph, with the stock Bad Years it read about 2-3mph fast at 50mph.
----------------------UPDATE---------------------------
I had the suspention lowered to Access height and as I was backing out of the driveway with the wheels cranked to one side the tires apparently rubbed and grabbed a suspention sensor wire and yanked it out of it's connector when the truck bounced as I dropped off the driveway and onto the steet. It didn't seem to affect the ride just gave me a fault signal. After replacing the harness the tech tucked it up and out of the way, but didn't guarentee that it wouldn't happen again. Needles to say I do put the LR3 Access height anymore, just in case.