PDA

View Full Version : Replacing barrel locks

east high
03-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Possible dumb question, but how easy is it to replace the barrel locks on the doors of a sIIa? I'd like to do it without replacing the whole unit - just replace the locks.

Tim Smith
03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm interested in this too.

Let me add, can you replace the barrel locks on everything so that you can have the truck keyed on a single key? That's the ignition, front doors, tailgate/rear door.

east high
03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Let me add, can you replace the barrel locks on everything so that you can have the truck keyed on a single key? That's the ignition, front doors, tailgate/rear door.

I'm fine with two keys (ignition + all doors), but would like to know if replacing just the barrel locks is possible vs. replacing the whole latch unit.

LaneRover
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I believe that you can, I know that you can with the ignition but I honestly don't know about the door locks as I haven't done those. But since it is the same type of key and lock I don't see why you couldn't.

In fact if memory serves me correct either RN or one of the other Rover parts places used to have a special deal with the lock barrels so that you could use the same key on everything.

Brent

east high
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
In fact if memory serves me correct either RN or one of the other Rover parts places used to have a special deal with the lock barrels so that you could use the same key on everything.

Brent

I've poked around this site and have seen what you're referring to, but the description on the page leaves a little to be desired. I suppose a call is in order..

Leslie
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
A) Yes, you can swap barrels, w/o having to do whole latch assemblies.
B) You can even have the door key match the ignition too.
(My SIII doors and ignition match now).
C) To get a cylinder out, insert the key, so that you can rotate the barrel to get the detent pin to line up... if you look on the tube that holds the barrel, there is a hole... when you get the barrel in the right position, you can push in with a very fine punch, etc., and then extract the barrel.
D) If you don't have the key, it's a PITA, but, you can either destroy the old cylinder, trying to get it out, or, take it to a locksmith to have it picked so you can turn it and then push the detent. (Or pick it yourself if you know how.)
E) Be warned, early IIa latches use a long funky type of cylinder compared to the later IIa latches, or the III latches, or the Defender kind. Make sure you've got the right cylinder that you need. (My rear door doesn't match my side doors, because it takes a different style of cylinder... so, I've got a spare cylinder in hand for my front doors/ignition, until I decide to swap out rear latches.)

FWIW...

east high
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
A) Yes, you can swap barrels, w/o having to do whole latch assemblies.
B) You can even have the door key match the ignition too.
(My SIII doors and ignition match now).
C) To get a cylinder out, insert the key, so that you can rotate the barrel to get the detent pin to line up... if you look on the tube that holds the barrel, there is a hole... when you get the barrel in the right position, you can push in with a very fine punch, etc., and then extract the barrel.
D) If you don't have the key, it's a PITA, but, you can either destroy the old cylinder, trying to get it out, or, take it to a locksmith to have it picked so you can turn it and then push the detent. (Or pick it yourself if you know how.)
E) Be warned, early IIa latches use a long funky type of cylinder compared to the later IIa latches, or the III latches, or the Defender kind. Make sure you've got the right cylinder that you need. (My rear door doesn't match my side doors, because it takes a different style of cylinder... so, I've got a spare cylinder in hand for my front doors/ignition, until I decide to swap out rear latches.)

FWIW...

Awesome. This is the kinda info I was looking for. Thank you. I don't have the key to any of the doors, so I guess I need to go the PITA route.

BTW - I have a '67. What's the cutoff year for early/late sIIA?