PDA

View Full Version : Locked Up Brakes

Jim-ME
03-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I have been having problems with locking up of my rear brakes. Usually it is one side (passengers side) but some times the drivers side decides to do it too. It feels like the shoes are stuck to the drum and if I can back up they break lose and all is good. I pulled the rear drums this morning thinking that I may have had a broken return spring but all was good other than having to tap the left drum lightly to get it off. I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner put it all back together again and all is good. Seems to really like to do it the most on wet or slushy days. I do have a 109 MC is an 88 if that would create problems. Any ideas on what this could be would be appreciated.
Jim

I Leak Oil
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Jim you mentioned you have a 109 MC. Is it plumbed correctly? I think the 88"MC and 109"MC are plumbed opposite. Assuming it is, there is a good chance the rear flex line is going bad, allowing fluid to flow to the wheel cylinders but not back to the MC. Maybe the return springs are weak or not installed correctly? Are the brake shoe pivot points dry or are they lubed with brake grease? Shoes installed correctly? Wheel cylinders corroded inside? Not much else to check...
Jason T.

Jim-ME
03-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Rear flex line new, wheel cylinders new, MC plumbed correctly I'm pretty sure, return springs all new and as far as I can see are installed correctly. I may need to pull the shoes as I lubed the pivot points at the bottom of the backing plate with never seize instead of labeled brake lube. May need to re-do with caliper lube instead. Thanks for the help.
Jim

junkyddog11
03-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Jim, by nature, drum brakes will occasionally do this if the brake is held down and the truck does not move after application. Does this happen all the time or just after parking?

Just a thought as it seems as if everything else heas been replaced, and it seems as if most of the Series rigs here exibit this at one point or another.

Jeff Aronson
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Jim,

Matt knows mechanical work far better than I, but I've never experienced this problem in my '66 II-A's. One of mine has a Series III servo assist, dual circuit master cylinder, the other is bone stock. I have no experience with the 109 MC, but I do note that the 109" has two wheel cylinders per brake drum, not one like the 88", and I think, larger drums. I did not know they were interchangeable.

A sticking brake means a wheel cylinder not releasing, springs not hooked up correctly [check the top spring in particular], or a hydraulic issue. You've eliminated the rusty drum/linings because you've cleaned it all up.

Is this a common problem for a Rover driven routinely, or one just started up occasionally? If the latter, given our recent weather, do you just have ice inside the brakes?

Jeff