PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wiper motors to single wiper motors

vtsnowplow
03-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Is there any way I can switch the dual wiper motors on my series II and convert to the later single wiper system of the series III?

KingSlug
03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
The easiest way would be to use an S3 windscreen, weld on S2 windscreen mounts on the side of it then use the late S2a/S3 wiper motor system.

If you want PM me and I have all the bit to sell including the windscreen.

Jared

Eric W S
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Is there any way I can switch the dual wiper motors on my series II and convert to the later single wiper system of the series III?

If you decide to sell the single units lemme know. I'll take them off your hands for fair market.

EwS

rovertek
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
i have the pieces in NH <gauto@localnet.com>

Jeff Aronson
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
My question would be "why?" It's often that I find I need only a single wiper operating anyway. There's no real advantage to the single wiper motor, and I think you will have to convert your vehicle to negative ground if you have not done so already.

Jeff

TeriAnn
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
My question would be "why?" It's often that I find I need only a single wiper operating anyway. There's no real advantage to the single wiper motor

Why? because they work! I converted mine over in late '97 or early '98. Sorry I didn't think to document it for my web site.

The dual wiper motor is leisurely at best, even with fresh lightweight grease. My single motors speeds are fast and frantic which cleans water off fast enough to allow me to see in a coastal downpour. I classify it as a safety upgrade in areas where you can get heavy rain.

A little history:

The single motor wiper system was introduced during Series IIA production, I believe when LR switched to negative earth. The first systems were single speed. This motor is long since discontinued.

When Rover switched to the single motor system they did not change windscreen frames, they covered the holes up with a little plate. You can either hunt a up a pair of plates or make your own cover plates.

You need to drill holes in the bulkhead for the new shafts to go through. Measure in from the edge of the bulkhead. Sorry I don't have that measurement handy.

Best to grab the system off a Series III, but you can grab a late IIA system & ad a newer motor & a SIII switch. The owners manual has a wiring diagram for the SIII wiper motor to switch connection. The SIII wiper motor is the same as the US spec Defender so motors are available new.

You will need measurements off a Series III for the horizontal placement of the wiper shaft holes (vertically it is in the middle) and the placement of the rectangular hole that goes through the top of the bulkhead instrument shaft. You can do a trial fit of the motor on its bracket with the first steel tube in place to identify where the holes for the wiper motor mounting bracket should go. The nuts will be difficult to go on.

The rubber boot is long since NLA. The Series III club had reproductions made up. If you can't get one from them, the reproductions occasionally show up on ebay UK.