PDA

View Full Version : diesel replacement engine for series III, 109

cscutt
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Hello. my 2.25L Petrol engine is tired , I would like to replace the petrol engine with a cummins type 4 cyl. diesel engine. What would I need in the way of adapter plate for the Bell houising, as well as any other modifications in order to make the transition.

If there is another route I could take with a different engine or componant system that would limit the pain in the hide factor, please feel free to let me know, I have limited experience in these matters

leafsprung
03-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Adapting a cummins to the rover trans via a bellhousing adaptor is a very short lived proposition.

uralrover
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Recently the Army ran a short test on converting Perkins 4-cyl diesel engines in older generator systems by converting them over to the 4-cyl Cummings of nearly the same displacement and power output. We ran it hard (as is normal in the Army) and after about three months the adaptor plates came apart and the flywheels started chipping due to coming out of ballance. This also caused failure in engine bearings and in the three we had caused the transmissions to burn out gears. So we had new ones made, rebuilt older components and had everything retested through a warranty program and those too came apart. We also encountered pre-mature bearing failures and a host of other issues including run-away engines, and overheating; all that in themselves were not neccessarliy related but over all made the engine-transmission combination less reliable then the original very tired perkins engines. These were not quick adaptions, but carefully tested under controlled diagnostics and engineered. The fuel pumps had to be changed to a different type twice to meet the demands of the cummins engine as well as fuel pick up and air cleaners. The oil sludged due to poor filtration and a host of other poorly thaught out ideas before they were fielded. We learned that Cummins won the bid due to price as they were liquidating slow moving industrial engines at a bargin price to the army in hopes of generating further sales. All in all they lasted about two years before they were scrapped completely and brand new Lindini Powered systems were built through John Deere.
I'm not saying it can't be done but, hopefully if you persue it be thourough on how you assemble the system because it could be costly if you have to keep reduing something as each weakness becomes apperent.
Lesson Learned....maybe, but then I am always trying new ideas like Turbo for my 2.25L, I'll let you know when I blow that one again!

leafsprung
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
the 4bt is a killer motor. Sounds like there were other issues at play there. . .

gambrinus
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
+1 on the 4BT being an awsome unit. A neighbor just pulled one from a breadvan and is putting it in a Dodge Ram. ( ie LOTS of room where a V8 used to live) 4BT + a hearty tranny and xfer case ... and you'll need a salisbury rear end.. it gets expensive. There's a guy on the GunsNRovers board who's adapted a Mercedes deeeezil to a series tranny. He's quite happy with it, and will sell you an adaptor if you want to give it a whirl.

RW

yorker
03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
There's a guy on the GunsNRovers board who's adapted a Mercedes deeeezil to a series tranny. He's quite happy with it, and will sell you an adaptor if you want to give it a whirl.

RW

Here's a link to what you have in store with a MB: http://seriestrek.com/info.html (http://seriestrek.com/info.html)

for a 4BT you definitely want to look into a different transmission- either adapted to the Series Transfer case or otherwise different drive-train altogether.

TeriAnn
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
There's a guy on the GunsNRovers board who's adapted a Mercedes deeeezil to a series tranny. He's quite happy with it, and will sell you an adaptor if you want to give it a whirl.

The Mercedes engine is from a 240D. It has the same HP as a 2.25L LR petrol engine but about 1/3rd LESS torque. You wouldn't want to put one in a 109 or heavier than stock 88. Unless of course you are the opinion that stock 109's are too powerful.

But it would be kind on your stock gearbox & axles, likes left over french fry oil and gets very good fuel milage. If I had an 80 or soft top 88 I could be very interested in the engine. :thumb-up:

Jim is working on a conversion for the 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel fom a 300 TD. The engine power curve is better suited for Land Rovers but I have just learned that he is using Stage I frame (no under bulkhead cross member & maybe relocated front crossmember). So its anyone's guess if it will fit into a stock Series frame. :confused:

On the other hand I've seen a Nissan LD28 (2.8L six cyl diesel from '70's Maxima) in a Canadian D90 that performed very well.