PDA

View Full Version : Removing rusted door bottom frames?

mickey1275@aol.com
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I am trying to remove the rusted door bottoms and replace them with the RN replacement pieces. Any tips on the best way to approach cutting them out with damaging anything I am not trying to remove?

leafsprung
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
peel the skin off first

Dav1550
03-04-2008, 03:33 AM
I'd agree with Leafsprung, best to go with removing the door skin.... Likely as not the whole door frame could use some attention.
A hand held torch, small pry-bar / screwdriver does the trick in getting the skin off.... Go lightly on the heat along the near edge while levering at the fold and you'll soon get the feel of it.

I made up a couple of tools when doing my doors (not necessary), but helped as was doing all the door skins. One is a vice-grip with a couple flat bars welded on the jaws- "used for straitening the edges. The other is a small pry that I re-bent for a shallower leaver, -for whose places where needed a better angle at the fold.

3-m heavy drip-check worked well for isolating the frame from the alloy skin, though figure any decent quality automotive seam sealer would be suitable.

Cheers
Dave

KingSlug
03-04-2008, 06:52 AM
There are proper tools for doing this. Check Eastwood. Door skiners and a proper pry tool for removing the skin makes work hella easy.

Jared

luckyjoe
03-04-2008, 07:50 AM
And if you ar going to go through all that work, make sure you galvanize the new frames!

I Leak Oil
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
New door skins used to be pretty inexpensive. I don't know what they go for now or if you can even find them though. Might be worth it considering your existing skins are probably corroded to some degree. Just a thought.....
Jason T.