PDA

View Full Version : Linex-Rhinoliner-Armacoat etc.

Jim-ME
03-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Do any of these spray in liners reduce interior noise better than others or are they just good to help prevent corrosion and slipping?
Jim

Firemanshort
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
You may get a slight reduction in noise. I Line-X'ed the interior of my Stage One. I think real sound deadening material would work better. I was going for easy cleanup and good looks rather than noise reduction.

http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/StageOne/LineXseat.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/StageOne/rtsidelinex.jpg

If you have a Series - you might consider that heavy floor mat from Exmoor for better sound deadening.

thixon
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Jim,

I can't speak from specific experience with a series truck. However, I've done this in other trucks (jeeps, scouts), and saw no signifigant difference in sound deadening (at least not enough to warrent the cost if sound deadening is your only motivation for using the products). Most were done with Rhino or Line-X.

The last truck of mine I did it in was an old full size cherokee. I used the ZEM kit that you can buy at your local auto paint store. I don't recommend it at all. It goes on thinner than rhino liner or line-X, and its much harder so scrapes and scratches show easily.

If it where me, I'd look at other options for sound deadening.

Leslie
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Concur: if you want it lined, line it, but, not for the sound properties.

leafsprung
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
helps with the reverberation significantly, but not the sound transference

gambrinus
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
For sound deadening on the cheap, head to your local farm and ranch supply place. Look for "stall mats" HEAVY thick rubber mats for cheap. One stock size that I found fit the back of an 88 like a glove.

RW

EASTTNROVER
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
[quote=Firemanshort]You may get a slight reduction in noise. I Line-X'ed the interior of my Stage One. I think real sound deadening material would work better. I was going for easy cleanup and good looks rather than noise reduction.

Wondering how much you paid to get the rhino done? It makes the truck look real clean. I have been thinking about it but not sure if its worth the $$$. Thanks...

Firemanshort
03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I took my truck apart in as small of pieces as practical. I took the bits to the shop over a long period of time and the guy sprayed them in his spare time. I then drove the truck to him and he sprayed the inside of the bulkhead and the rear load space. (The bulkhead would have been better if it was sprayed off the vehicle - both inside and out - but I was not preprared to go that far.)

The whole deal cost me about $750. Obviously, I thought it was worth it.

You can go cheaper by doing the roll on product yourself and not doing as much of the truck. I also had the shop do all of the prep work becasue he wanted to do it to make sure it was done right and I really did not want to do it.

I highly recommend taking as many parts apart and spraying them seperately so that you do not paint the whole truck together. Also, you have to accept that you are adding 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to the size of every panel. So things do not always fit back together as nicely I had to pursuade a few bits back togehter but most of the "factory tolerances" allowed for the extra size.

ctrover
03-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I went to agway and picked up a 3/4 inch rubber horse stall mat for $44.Did my back and 2 front footwells and really cleaned up the interior nice.Youll need a jig saw to cut it.Helped some with the noise.I then went to west marine and bought some 1 inch foam engine room sound deadening material.34"x"54. Was a little pricey at $134 but my friends boat had some and it made a huge difference.I plan on attaching this to the underside of my hood.It has a self adhesive backing.There is also some "silent running" paint they make that I might apply to the inside of my body panels.I'll keep you updated.

NC Rover
03-05-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/StageOne/rtsidelinex.jpg

This looks super clean. I like it . :thumb-up:

Paul Rossmann
03-07-2008, 08:05 AM
gambrinus, great idea about the stall mats. I had been looking for some sound deadening for my 88. Went out yesterday and got a 4x6x3/4 stall mat and made an entire set of mats for the car. Used the old ones as a template and roughed them out with a circular saw and finished 'em up with a bandsaw (you could do the whole thing with a sabre saw or jig saw). I have to relieve a small area so that the gas pedal will go all the way down, but other than that, they look great and give an added measure of sound deadening.

Together they must weigh between 75 and 80 pounds!

Victor Xu
05-14-2009, 01:24 AM
gambrinus, great idea about the stall mats. I had been looking for some sound deadening for my 88. Went out yesterday and got a 4x6x3/4 stall mat and made an entire set of mats for the car. Used the old ones as a template and roughed them out with a circular saw and finished 'em up with a bandsaw (you could do the whole thing with a sabre saw or jig saw). I have to relieve a small area so that the gas pedal will go all the way down, but other than that, they look great and give an added measure of sound deadening.

Together they must weigh between 75 and 80 pounds!

a 4X6X3/4 stall mat , really ? where did you find this product ? I can supply you this stall mat many , are you interested in my product ? please contact me via : horsemat@126.com .

I am online

thixon
05-14-2009, 07:20 AM
a 4X6X3/4 stall mat , really ? where did you find this product ? I can supply you this stall mat many , are you interested in my product ? please contact me via : horsemat@126.com .

I am online

Wow,

This guy appears to have signed up on the board simply to solicit the sale of stall mats. Geez. Is the economy really that bad? I hope not.

bmohan55
05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
:) may be the newbe in me coming out but my truck stalls all the time, would this mat help?

Firemanshort
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM
....my truck stalls all the time, would this mat help?

- It really depends. This mat is 3/4" thick - based on your post, you may need to lay it on a little thicker ;)

Leslie
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I found a stall mat at Tractor Supply, I think it was 4x6, at least a half-inch thick, don't know if it was a 3/4" thick or not; I'm out of town at the moment, but can check it's thickness when I get home, it may be 3/4".....

lrdukdog
05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Our dog training club used 1" thick mats. They are very good for both noise and traction. I think they did smell at first but that went away fairly quickly.
Jim Wolf

scott
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
mine came with a carpet kit and sound proofing pads under it and is a lot quieter than badvibes near ***** interior. but now that i'm repairing footwells i wish the po had glued the sound pad to the back of the carpet that snaps in instead of glueing it to the truck.

wow! the curse word filter didn't like me saying badvibes truck's interior is near neighked

Bertha
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I just used the product below on my latest project, but since the truck isnt on the road yet, I cant give you any definite results. However reading up on it, it seems like many other people have used it in a similiar application with alot of success

http://www.lizardskin.com/lizard_skin/street_rods.php

adkrover
05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
My truck is Rhino'd and it helps cut vibration noise from all the floppy sheet metal. The best thing for cutting engine noise has been the heavy duty molded front floor mat that completely covers the gear tunnel. For general road and exhaust noise, I purchased commercial door mats for the rear and cargo area of my 109. Horse mats are cheaper but not as nice in my opinion. If you want to cut noise, the Rhino type linings are probably not your best use of $ but if your truck is all apart it would be a good time to do it. Otherwise invest in good form fitting mats. Also, a proper headliner makes a huge difference too.

ybt502r
05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I second the comment on the thick form fitting rubber mats. I picked some up in the UK (where I got the truck), and they make a big difference (save when I use the overdrive, nothing helps there). They are big and heavy, but they are formed to the tunnel and footwells and really do the job. I've only a rubber mat on the back, so perhaps there's room for improvement there, but I've indoor/outdoor carpet glued down which does help.

BellaCoola
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I went down to my local carpet store and picked up a 6' x 9' roll of closed cell high density foam that is used under carpets ($35.). Easy to cut with a sharp utility knife. So far I've used it to line the inside of my hardtop and also the footwells and rear load bed. With all applications (except the hardtop) the closed cell liner is covered by a protective substrate...ie: carpet or rubber mats.

I've noticed a marked improvement in noise and once I do the gearbox tunnel I suspect this will also reduce interior noise as well.

On the hardtop I used 3M 77 Spray adhesive and this works great. For the footwells I've just cut to size using the rubber floor mats as a template. I didn't glue these down as I want to be able to remove them for clean-up.

JayGoss
11-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I took my truck apart in as small of pieces as practical. I took the bits to the shop over a long period of time and the guy sprayed them in his spare time. I then drove the truck to him and he sprayed the inside of the bulkhead and the rear load space. (The bulkhead would have been better if it was sprayed off the vehicle - both inside and out - but I was not preprared to go that far.)

The whole deal cost me about $750. Obviously, I thought it was worth it.

You can go cheaper by doing the roll on product yourself and not doing as much of the truck. I also had the shop do all of the prep work becasue he wanted to do it to make sure it was done right and I really did not want to do it.

I highly recommend taking as many parts apart and spraying them seperately so that you do not paint the whole truck together. Also, you have to accept that you are adding 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to the size of every panel. So things do not always fit back together as nicely I had to pursuade a few bits back togehter but most of the "factory tolerances" allowed for the extra size.

Anyone know what sort of prep work is required prior to application of Line-X? Thinking about a winter project & would like to do as much of the work myself.

Leslie
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone know what sort of prep work is required prior to application of Line-X? Thinking about a winter project & would like to do as much of the work myself.

Clean, and sand it. I had my new pick-up's bed Line-X'd, just showed up at the place, they scuffed it all up with sandpaper before applying. It goes on hot and cures, so, it'll go on w/o too much fuss, just scuff it enough, methinks.

Firemanshort
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
The surface must be very clean and grease free. Then they scuff the paint real well - my guy used a wire wheel.

redmondrover
11-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Ditto what others have said about stall mats. I bought two and made mats for my wife's 109--front, middle and rear. I used the left over pieces to line the rear tool box, the passenger seat tool box and re-cover the original side steps.

Pictures available at the blog I just started about the frame swap we have begun on the 109: www.redmondrover.blogspot.com (http://www.redmondrover.blogspot.com)

greenmeanie
11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Redmond,
At the risk of hijacking the thread I see from your blog that you have a Chevy 6. I'd be interested to know what fuel consumption your getting and whether it is a 250 or a 292.

redmondrover
11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
greenmeanie,

We have a Chevy 250 in our 109. If the speedometer worked consistently, I could calculate actual mileage! Right now, my best guess is around 16mpg. :confused: If you would like to discuss further, send me a PM with an email address or phone number.

As part of the frame swap, we will insulate the hood, spray fire resistant foam inside the wings, under the floors and in the seatbox plus cover the bulkhead with dynamat, BQuiet or similar stuff.

For those of you who are interested, you can follow our frame swap project on our blog. I will be posting the first steps of that project this evening. We expect the project to be complete by mid-December.