PDA

View Full Version : clutch MC

yank
03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I need to replace mc, Should I pull off the fender or not?

LaneRover
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Though it can be done without removing the fender it is much easier if you do remove the fender. I believe that not removing the fender is false economy.

Unless of course yours is righthand drive, then the clutch MC is much more accessible.

Brent

green 'n stinky
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm in the midst of replacing my clutch master cylinder too. I elected to try to do so without removing the fender as some of the hardware attaching my fender is terribly seized and I felt it would be a frustrating endeavor to deal with. I managed to remove the clutch pedal box without much trouble at all. The most difficult part was figuring out how to maneuver a wrench in there to disconnect the hydraulic line from the mc. I'll find out how it is to replace it this weekend, though I don't anticipate much trouble. I've got a LHD series III.

yank
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Mine is LHD.

LaneRover
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm in the midst of replacing my clutch master cylinder too. I elected to try to do so without removing the fender as some of the hardware attaching my fender is terribly seized and I felt it would be a frustrating endeavor to deal with. I managed to remove the clutch pedal box without much trouble at all. The most difficult part was figuring out how to maneuver a wrench in there to disconnect the hydraulic line from the mc. I'll find out how it is to replace it this weekend, though I don't anticipate much trouble. I've got a LHD series III.

I agree that it can be done without removing the fender. But if the fender hardware is not seized it would be simple enough to take it off and give you a lot easier access.

Brent

Momo
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Working on the mc with fender on is like pushing a rope uphill. You will end up rounding off pipe unions, or missing small leaks on reassembly, or having a bear adjusting the pushrod, etc.

Hit the fasteners with PB blaster, let it sit overnight, then the fender should come off pretty easily. Gentle propane torch heat/more PB will help on the stubborn ones.

Plus you will know your Rover that much better once you're done.

I Leak Oil
03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Working on the mc with fender on is like pushing a rope uphill.

Ahmen to that! Do yourself a favor and take it off!
Jason T.

Dav1550
03-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Admittedly getting the wings off the first go-round can be tuff..... But once they've been removed and the fixing have been sorted out, they come off and on in short order.. It's near worth doing for no better reason than it will make that next inedible excursion into the engine bay go easyer.

green 'n stinky
03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok, I've been shamed into removing the wing!

I Leak Oil
03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, I've been shamed into removing the wing!

You'll thank us later......:)
Jason T.