PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Questions

SeriesCanuck
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi folks,

As I haven't had my IIA for very long, I'm trying to sort out some of the vehicles bits and pieces. I'm still trying to sort out the brake problems (another story)..but in the meantime in order to learn a little more about the Rover, I thought maybe some of you with more experience could help me out with identifying some other bits.

I'm pretty sure that the alt is not original but maybe someone can correct me. (the spacer washers lead me to think this) anybody ID this or give me hints on what it is?

Also I haven't seen this type of rear seat in any of the online catalogues...are these original?

Thanks for the help.
Thomas

sven
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Your alt is a Delco 12si. Its a great upgrade for a series.

yorker
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
The rear seat looks like the side facing FJ40 seats. I guess it is something of an upgrade. ;)

SeriesCanuck
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. Good to know what the alt is.

Someone told me these seats look like an ambulance or military type (wolfe?) but I'm not sure.

yorker
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelfj19t.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1987_90540712

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1987_90771451

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=646&d=1204647803

TLC not LR but definitely decent seats.

SeriesCanuck
03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks Yorker....I'd say you were "bang on" for those being FJ seats. Most people thought my Disco was a Toyota and people in town have already commented on the nice looking old Toyota (the IIA) in the driveway.

I looked around that site and it has some interesting parts. At least I know where to get seat belts and new covers for them.

Does anybody know where to get a roll bar for my IIA? I know one could be fabbed but it would be alot easier if there was one out of the box such as they have for old Bronco's and Scouts and you can get kits to tie them to the frame. Does something exist somewhere for our Land Rovers?

Thanks again guys.

yorker
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
The roll bars I've seen have been custom made or adapted from other vehicles. The British army had a sort of roll over protection bar and I think I've seen them used too.

Well then again I thin some have used D90 bars too- Kevin NY has a nice one on his series- I'll ask him where he got his.

SeriesCanuck
03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
While I have you experienced guys looking at pictures......

My vehicle is a left hand drive and there is a storage compartment under the drivers' seat. Is this the way they are supposed to be? (or did someone fab their own?) I actually like it this way but just curious.

Also, the p/o put a set of front seats from a Nissan Pathifnder. I haven't pulled the staples yet (see pic there is a padding of some sort all over the seatbox etc...) but I'm guessing they used a piece of wood to make the seats fit on the seatbox. I would like to put in some orignal type of seats....how are the original style mounted? (or is there a better solution for safer seats).

The main reason I'm asking about seats and roll bars is because I have a nearly 3 year old little girl who already has taken a shining to the Land Rover and I want to be able to drive it with child seat in front and the wife if I can. (maybe the wife will have to go in the jump seats).

Thanks again.

yorker
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Under seat storage is standard but your truck's method of access isn't.

With the regular seats you just lift the cushion and remove the cover on top of the seat base to get to the storage space.

SeriesCanuck
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks...that's what I thought it should be from others I have seen in the past. I thought this may have been fabbed. It actually works quite well and is pretty secure. They seemed to have even used "authentic" hasp. When you open it, there is carpet lining the bottom which I hope hasn't seen any moisture.

Tim Smith
03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not too sure how much safer series seats will be. The bottom cushion is just set in place and the backs just lean on the rear bulkhead. I can't imagine your current seats are any less secure than that. And I'm pretty sure they are more comfortable.

The seat belts are the important part. They are attached to the seat box and not the seats, right?

Nice ride by the way!

SeriesCanuck
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Tim, you are probably right about the current seats. The seat belts are static lap belts that may have been from a Nissan as well (not sure). They are fixed to the top of the seat box right on either side of the seat. They are secured with a large washer underneath....not so much a true "spreader plate".

They are comfy but a little bulky for the cab. I like the "look" of the deluxe series seats and would like to incorporate shoulder belts with them. (they remind me of the seats that were in my old mustang :rolleyes: ).

I'm guess I need to decide whether I want to put a forward facing seat in the rear for the child seat or keep her in the front passenger seat. hmmmm....things to decide.

ShootingCar
03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
SeriesCanuk,
as we talked, that is what I decided to do with a new four point roll bar and forward facing rear seat with shoulder seat belts for my family. For one thing my wife and daughter get car sick so having the rear seats face inward or backward would not work for fhem. So this is the arrangement that I have settled for to make it work for our truck.

Jeff

S11A
03-07-2008, 07:57 AM
I purchased some of the mounting hardware for installing harnesses in the track car from Racer Wholesale:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/index.php?cPath=21_75&osCsid=0ad0600e3d8fc9e7a42fb764850849c7