PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead: Chemical Strip Help

Mojave Rover
03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, I am still a few weeks out before the operation, but I need help locating a facility near the homestead for a bulkhead chemical strip. Any pointers? Just outside of Las Vegas, NV. How do I go about tracking down a business for the process? Do restorers have this type of service? Phoenix or Salt Lake not a bad trek, just time consuming.

(In the background of the pic showing front end is the rolling chassis.)

Momo
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I think you'd be disappointed with chemical strip. If it were me I'd go with soda blasting- it's way more efficient and complete and it will take off the rust- something chemical stripping won't do. I found these guys on Google for you:

C & H Soda Blasting 6230 Greyhound Ln
Las Vegas, NV 89122
(702) 798-7208

Looks like you have some footwell repairs to do too- replacement panels are available.

Once you've put that much investment into the bulkhead, you ought to consider hot-dip galvanizing it. In fact, take every piece of galvy trim, the bulkhead, the radiator support, the longitudinal brackets for the seatbox, etc. About 11 years ago I had a bunch of parts dipped and it was worth every penny (I am still regretting not dipping MY bulkhead but I had already painted it).

I went to a place in the PHX area-

www.aztecgalvanizing.com (http://www.aztecgalvanizing.com)

If you do decide to galvanize your stuff, make sure you specify "architectural grade " finish- which is smooth without globs of
zinc left behind, just as Rover did it.

leafsprung
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I disagree. Ive been very happy with the acid bath. Ive done a couple dozen firewalls and they have turned out nice. Plus it does the inside of hollow sections unlike soda blasting.

Momo
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I hadn't thought of an acid bath Ike- I was thinking of the garden variety aircraft & automotive strippers. Good point about the void spaces. Does the acid bath remove all the rust though?

Jim-ME
03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
To get rid of the rust you need to cut out unless it is very, very minor and literally only surface. That is the whole problem with bulkheads as most have rotted past the point of realtively simple footwell and door post replacement.
Jim

Momo
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah Jim, he's definitely got some metal replacement to do in that pass footwell...but its a western truck so probably 90% surface rust only

leafsprung
03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I hadn't thought of an acid bath Ike- I was thinking of the garden variety aircraft & automotive strippers. Good point about the void spaces. Does the acid bath remove all the rust though?

It disolves the rust. Occaisionally if the rust is really thick it will leave some crust but it eats pretty much everything.

I Leak Oil
03-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Acid bath is by far the most complete way of stripping parts down to bare steel. At the shop I used to work at we would send entire shells of Porsche 356's and older 911's to be stripped. It was amazing what we would find under some of the previous bodywork though....kinda scary actually!
Jason T.

thixon
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Ike,

the only problem I've had with the acid bath is finding someone to do it. Seems like a decade ago, it was easy to find a place. Now, It's tough to find a shop. Wonder why? I'm in the south, wonder if its a geographical thing?

leafsprung
03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Cant help you. I use a local place. You can make your own bath if you are feeling handy there are articles about it online.

Mojave Rover
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I am looking local, but this process is getting harder to track down, especially in the West. Thanks for the replies. Still searching.

Poor Rover.

Mojave Rover
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Success. I finally, I mean finally, found a business to do a dip. Driving the bulkhead, rad panel, a few odds and ends down to Phoenix for a little treatment in a couple of weeks. Ordered some replacement parts from our sponsor to help facilitate the reconstruction. Hopefully, I will have a rebuilt bulkhead this May.

greenmeanie
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm interested to know who you're using in Phoenix. I fore see new footwells in my near future and wouldn't mind dipping if it's not too prohibitively expensive. It always useful info to haveas I'm local.

Cheers
Gregor

Momo
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm going to guess the guys in Goodyear (AZ Galvanizing)...

Mojave Rover
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Redi Strip of Phoenix, located in Tempe (480) 968-9702. Posting number to help other folks out West. Tracked him down from extensive googling. I gave a call yesterday and was informed they are backed up by about a month. Claimed to be the only chemical immersion facility west of the Mississippi. Find that hard to believe, but it was quite a chore to even locate him. No reservations because too many folks in California never show up for their appointment.

Going to AZ Galvanizing end of May or June for frame, bulkhead, rad panel and a few odds and ends. I hope...

Momo
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Mojave, just make sure they understand you want an "architectural" smooth finish, otherwise the zinc will be thick and rough. I learned this after the fact. Although 11 years have passed and my galvanized parts look great, they don't have quite the same look as the factory finish. Few would notice but it bothered me.