PDA

View Full Version : Tappet Help

uralrover
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Here it is trying to pull out the tappet guides and the two in the center are giving me quite the fuss. I cannot seem to get them out of there well woren holes with out some quirky tool. At this point I'm open to any idea on how to get the darn things out since I want to have the block gone through and
bored out but. Can anyone help with geting the darn Tappet Guides Out...

Please I'm open to great ideas since I've already broken a couple of tools trying different things.

thixon
03-06-2008, 10:33 AM
No Text

uralrover
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
There is no point taking it to a machine shop just to remove a tappet guide, when I'm ready to have the cylinders honed I'll take it in with the other one. I just want to get the tappet guide out to evaluate whether or not there a serviceable or need replacing.......Breaking old weak tools that have had years of abuse on the other hand is normal for my tool box, generally I have about 25% that are old, cheap tools used for fabricating speacial tool needs or for sacrificeing to the one-off job anyway. usually cheaper then buying some overpriced speacialty tool I only use once every ten years at best.....

Momo
03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
That's pretty odd, you can normally shove a finger into them & they should slide right out. Just did it this morning myself.

Are they stuck fast or do they have some up & down play in the bore? Are they hanging up on a burr? Maybe at the set screw hole?

You do have the set screw out right? The one that's safety wired? (I know, stupid question...)

I would try oiling them and maybe use a set of opposing pliers to bite they inside diameter, then work it out...but sounds like you've been there.