PDA

View Full Version : Tap for Bonnet Tire Carrier

Tdi Guy
12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have a British Standard 1/2x16 tap that I can borrow to tap out my tire carrier after I just galv it? I just need to chase the threads on 2 holes and hate to have to buy the tap for $26 plus shipping just to clean out 2 holes..

Randy

o2batsea
12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Use a hacksaw to make a couple verticle slots in an old bolt. Use some oil and gently work it down into the threads, backing off and going forward half a turn. You'll have to clean out the hacksaw cuts in the bolt frequently, but it'll get the job done.

Raleigh Rover
12-06-2006, 11:07 PM
http://www.britishfasteners.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Try the above link. They have decent prices on Whitworth, BS tools, taps, and dies.

Leslie
12-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Use a hacksaw to make a couple verticle slots in an old bolt. Use some oil and gently work it down into the threads, backing off and going forward half a turn. You'll have to clean out the hacksaw cuts in the bolt frequently, but it'll get the job done.

You know, I could go with that (have done it in the past myself); except that that particular bolt is a $20 bolt itself.... I really don't want to kill one of those bolts when a tap is about the same price.... (MSC is a bit less than McMaster, but not by much.... maybe shopping around will turn up one for less).