PDA

View Full Version : 109 Exhaust

Mercedesrover
03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone have a picture or a diagram of the exhaust system on a 109 wagon? I've got to fabricate the system on my truck and would like to see about how it goes originally.

Thanks!

Jim

S11A
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Jim,

I know this is an 88, but this image gives a decent general picture:

cut-away (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/category/medium/100-series.jpg)

The pics here might be helpful:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-104-exhaust.aspx

leafsprung
03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
are you going to use a muffler?

Mercedesrover
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
are you going to use a muffler?

I don't think so. I think with the turbo it'll be quiet enough without one. 2.5" straight pipe. Stainless from McMaster Carr. If it's too loud, at most I'll put on a little stainless can I have here off a Honda or something. It's small and straight thru.

S11A
03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
This one is from a 200TDI conversion, but there is a good pic at the bottom of the page of an exhaust fully assembled:

http://www.steve-parker.co.uk/exhcon200tdi.php

I have some pics from my non-SW 109; send me your email address and I can email them to you.

Mercedesrover
03-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks.

S11A
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Jim,

I will send this morning.

You may want to delete your email, as the spammers have 'bots that troll for email addresses and add them to spam lists.

TeriAnn
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think so. I think with the turbo it'll be quiet enough without one. 2.5" straight pipe. Stainless from McMaster Carr. If it's too loud, at most I'll put on a little stainless can I have here off a Honda or something. It's small and straight thru.

The stock 109 station wagon exhaust runs along the left side hugging the frame with an inverted U over the rear axle then a left turn to exhaust out the side behind the left rear tyre. If memory serves the muffler sits where the U rises just before the rear axle.

The 617's exhaust is on the right side so it would make more sense to ignore what the factory did and run it down the right. The 109 regular runs down the left (All the in lines engines exhaust on the left side), makes a right turn behind the rear axle, has the muffler where the rear tank sits and exhausts to the right side behind the rear tyre. So it you run it down the right side it would exhaust in the stock 109 regular location.

Mercedesrover
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not trying to mimic the factory exhaust at all. (The factory anything for that matter!) I was just trying to see how they worked out running the tailpipe behind the rear wheel with the rear fuel tank right there. I'm going to have to buy and mount the tank before I work that out. May end up running it out in front of the rear wheel, though I'd rather not 'cause it's a wagon.

yorker
03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Jim are you just going to use the rear tank or the under seat ones as well? Man! what a range that would be...

Mercedesrover
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Well see. No plans yet. Might be fun to put a tank on the right side and run veggie oil in it!

yorker
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah that was pretty much what I was thinking! Once everythign was all warmed up you could swap over to the Veggie oil or whatever you happen to want to run int he front tanks.

and if you do achieve ~25 mpg @ 70 mph you'd have a range of what? ~1,050 miles hehe! 15 hours worth of fuel... That is a long time to go without peeing. :D

You'd never need to even look at a jerry can again...

S11A
03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.inc.com/magazine/19940615/3261.html

Or: a new use for the jerry can :D

Richard
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Jim,

OK, second attempt.
Here are a few pictures of the stock exhaust on my 2.6L 109 SW.

668 669 670 671 672

-Richard

Tim Smith
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Jim,
About the muffler. I had a 300d "the Beirut taxi" up until recently with the 617 in it. After it was rear ended (and I still kept driving it to the chagrin of my friends and co-workers) the muffler soon fell off.

I gotta say that with the turbo and spark arrester still on the system, it really wasn't all that loud. In fact, it was actually quite livable for short runs and gave the motor a nice throatier sound on hard acceleration. I also believed that it gave me an extra 2 horse at the wheels but you can decide for yourself. :p

On longer highway runs it would get annoying, especially with the exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin through the then mashed in body work of the back end. But thats another story and a situation I'm sure you will avoid.

By the way, I now have one of your adapters and am keeping an eye out for another 617 in better nick. That afore mentioned car had a little over a quarter million miles on the clock. Even though it wasn't taken care of very well, the motor started up first time every time. Only twice did it get too cold for immediate start up. The rest of the car was another story.

<I wonder if that rope is still holding the transmission up in place> :p

Mercedesrover
03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Here are a few pictures of the stock exhaust on my 2.6L 109 SW.

Thanks, Richard!
That's exactly what I was looking for.
Dammit! I wanted one of those stainless tanks but John isn't making them anymore. You did get that from John, right?

Thanks again.

jim

By the way...Beautiful work!!

Mercedesrover
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I gotta say that with the turbo and spark arrester still on the system, it really wasn't all that loud. In fact, it was actually quite livable for short runs and gave the motor a nice throatier sound on hard acceleration. I also believed that it gave me an extra 2 horse at the wheels but you can decide for yourself. :p

By the way, I now have one of your adapters and am keeping an eye out for another 617 in better nick.

Thanks, Tim. I'm going to try it I think. I do have a very small stainless can from a Honda that I might use, but that's probably it.

Keep looking around for these engines. There out there. And I won't tell you that I just found a whole car today. 1983 turbo with 126k on the clock hit in the nose. And no, I won't tell you that I paid $100 for it...... :)

jim

Tim Smith
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Tim. I'm going to try it I think. I do have a very small stainless can from a Honda that I might use, but that's probably it.

Keep looking around for these engines. There out there. And I won't tell you that I just found a whole car today. 1983 turbo with 126k on the clock hit in the nose. And no, I won't tell you that I paid $100 for it...... :)

jim
Thanks for not telling me that Jim. I feel better now. :mad: :p ;)

CliftonRover
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I wish I had pictures of mine before the body went on, I have a 200 tdi in a 109 sw and I used a silencer from a 200 exhaust but it was unnecessary, I can hear the turbo well from the cab, put at the back of the truck it is almost too quiet. so you will be fine without the muffler. I too the truck to a muffler shop in town and they bent it up from 2.5 aluminized tube. it runs strait out the back next to the fuel tank, and up through the pto hole by the tranny.

Richard
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Dammit! I wanted one of those stainless tanks but John isn't making them anymore. You did get that from John, right?

Jim, Yes that is John's craftsmanship. The quality of his work is truly outstanding. You know, he was never in this for the money. He is more of a sculptor and artist than a manufacturer.

Let me know if you need a pic from another angle.

-Richard