PDA

View Full Version : Cost Question

KeizerRover
03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I just had some work done on my 2000 Discovery II and am curious to know if the price was reasonable and what a dealer might have charged for the same work and parts.

In a nut shell I needed the valve cover gaskets replaced (RN price $23.89 each). To get to them the air manifold needed to be removed and a new gasket installed on the refit (RN $49.00). While that was off it seemed like a good time for new plug wires as I don't know how one would get to them otherwise ($97.59).

Add in misc replacement screws, "O" Rings, fluids, etc and parts + shipping was $317.85. With the addition of labor I was back on the road for just over $790. All things considered not too bad, but like I said I am curious to know what the dealer 60 miles away would have charged for a similar experience.

Thanks,
Ken

DiscoDave
03-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Actually sounds pretty reasonable to me buddy. Shop rate for plug wires alone is 3 hours (thereabouts) and that includes pulling the intake plenum. The last dealership I went to was charging $95 and hour for labor. You did right by buying the parts beforehand though as dealer prices get steep from the start - I think I remember hearing $28 apiece for HT leads :eek: I bought some Magenecors and was on my happy way.

As with all cars though, you'll find the less time you spend at the dealer the better off you'll be. Some folks don't have time or the facilities and patience, and that's okay. Most of us who stick around Rovers do our own work (what's feasible) as a matter of necessity and education rather than lack of better option.

Ken I'm not sure what you're using your Rover for, but if you're using her like she was designed chances are high one of these days you'll be faced with doing a trail-side repair of your own (few of us can say we haven't done one already) and it's always easier when you're somewhat familiar with the truck and know where things are.

Bottom line though, sounds like whoever did the work was legit.