PDA

View Full Version : Ike, TeriAnne and other Experts

pvkd
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I am desperate (if you excuse the expression). Please see my brake failure valve posting and pictures of my valve. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

leafsprung
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Who said I was an expert? Hopefully I can help though.

NRC 4282 was for LHD EEC cars. I think it differs from the NRC4880 in that it has one output for the front brakes as opposed to two. I dont think the orientation is important. To connect this to your car with 4 ports it should be two in from the master and 2 out to the front and rear brakes respectively (one circuit at each end of the unit). The circuits are separated from one another by the shuttle valve itself. Provided both sides have pressure the valve stays in the middle. . . As far as I know the circuits are symmetrical at each end. To obtain pictures I would try and contact some of the european club members. These weren't fitted to home market UK trucks or NADA trucks. . . Im sure you realize this is a lot of trouble and expense for marginal utility.

pvkd
03-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Ike,

Thanks for responding. The Series 3 parts manual show NRC4282 as the correct valve for 109 Station Wagons and NRC4880 as the valve for 88" up to a specific VIN and all basic 109. I don't think the valves change based up the steering side.

My valve (NRC4282) has 4 ports but if you look at my pictures on my other post you will see that there are two ports on one side, one port on the opposite side and one port on the side (if that makes sense). The side port has me confused in that I do not know if it si for the front or rear or indeed if it matters?

Also does it matter if the switch points up or down?

Thanks,

Paul

leafsprung
03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
My manual shows 4282 as LHD SW for EEC countries it shows 4880 as "all others" It doesnt look like it would make a difference which way it was oriented. Can you think of a reason why it would? The switch activates when the piston of the shuttle valve moves side to side. Shouldnt matter if its right side up, upside down or on a diagonal. Is this a replacement for the unit that is in your car? Or something you are retro fitting? Personally Id ditch it. Doesnt improve the functionality of your brakes and I think it will be very obvious when you lose pressure.

pvkd
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Ike,

I purchased it a great cost so I am reluctant to ditch it at this stage. What about my question on the port on the side (did you see my picture)?

Thanks,

Paul

leafsprung
03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
What specifically was the question about the one on the side? It should be part of the circuit on that end of the valve. There are 4 ports, you have 4 lines. Each end of the valve contains a separate circuit comprised of an "in" and an "out". I doubt if it would matter which way it was plumbed. If you look at the cutaway of the valve in the manual you can see that internally the circuits are the same. Its not a proportioning valve. There are only so many ways to bore holes in that casting . . . If you have to use it, hook it up and test it. There are only two possible ways to hook it up that are probable. Is it not returnable?

pvkd
03-10-2008, 11:44 PM
This picture show thw side port which I suspect is there for a purpose. I need to know if this serves the front or rear brakes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24351127@N06/2306298301/in/photostream/

I purchased the valve from our hosts and would prefer just to install it rather than return it. I am upgrading the brakes on my RHD 1971 UK 109. It currently has single curcuit non-servo assisted brakes..

Thanks,

Paul

leafsprung
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
This picture show the side port which I suspect is there for a purpose. I need to know if this serves the front or rear brakes.

Again, I doubt it matters. Can you think of a reason why it would? Its a threaded hole bored into the side of a casting which intersects with another hole. Do you have the correct mounting for the chassis? That may give you a clue. Take it apart and see if the circuits are symmetrical. Hook it up and test it. It seems like you just want someone to say "this is the way it goes" I think with a modicum of diagnotic leg work you can get it sorted in short order. Its not a very complex device. Alternatively you can keep looking for someone who happens to own an example of a LHD EEC spec late series three who speaks english to tell you definatively. Try the swiss or german club guys. Seems like Im sending stuff over there regularly, theres surely someone there with an example you can look at.

I purchased the valve from our hosts and would prefer just to install it rather than return it.

Is there a basis for this preference or you just want to?

pvkd
03-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Ike,

To answer your questions. I do not have a mounting so this may be another question. However I assumed I could use a simple L bracket.

This is a preference which says that I would like the brakes to be as Land Rover designed them to be which some may find funny but that is my preference and in some way part of the fun.

Thanks

Paul

leafsprung
03-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I guess Im a little confused. So you are retrofitting another brake system into your car, yet the system itself it has to be original down to the fittings (except the bracket) despite the fact that its not original to the vehicle. By omitting the switch you are not changing the design perameters of the system, it would perform the same without the swich in place. If you HAVE to use it, just plumb it in. Should be a straightforward installation. Best of luck.