PDA

View Full Version : NADA 6 Cylinder Engine Questions?

highmile
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey folks!

I am just trying to understand my 1967 109 NADA 6 cylinder a little better. There are a few items that I think I know what they are, but I'm not 100% certain.

I think the rusty cylinder in the middle of the pictures is a servo unit for the brakes, correct? Could somebody explain to me how this particular unit works? It is a very odd and large shaped unit.

Also, can anybody tell me anything about the carburetor just by looking at this photo?

http://lh6.google.com/bergeron20/R2020UsvuhI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/GYS2OUHou6w/DSC03544.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh5.google.com/bergeron20/R6eKDfSA3aI/AAAAAAAAAXs/aWmffjTDpZo/109%20-%20NADA%206%20Cylinder%20Engine%202.JPG?imgmax=512

Now to the other side of the engine compartment. What is the silver cylinder that connects to the distributor that is laying at an angle? It is not bolted in in this picture.

Anything else that folks want to point out from these photos?

http://lh3.google.com/bergeron20/R202yksvufI/AAAAAAAAAQA/CpJWq6KOt2g/DSC03541.JPG?imgmax=400

Thanks!

greenmeanie
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
The big cylinder thing is a remote brake servo. On the NADA 6cyl it is made by Clayton Dewandre and is pretty rare and expensive to replace. I'm told the one on my new truck is 'upgraded' to a Jag unit but I have only had it for a day so I have not got any numbers off it yet. If you search on line there are some good pages describing it's operation.

The carb is an SU and I think it is 1.75" throat diameter. Pull the numbers off the body and, if our hosts can't help you phone a nice gent called Joe Curto at and you'll get all the info you want. I'm not sure what our hosts advertising rules are for other businesses so I can only say search him out on line and you'll have a good source of info on SU carbs.

The silver cyl lying at an angle attached to your dizzy is the coil. It should be attached to the center lead on the coil and provides the juice for the spark.It's a good idea to bolt it down as it is not cool to come to a silent halt when bits fall off your truck:D

Cheers
Gregor

highmile
03-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Gregor

Thanks for the info! So far, I have been guessing correctly on what all these things are. When I purchased the truck back in November, the previous owner did give me another servo unit that looks just like this one. He just knew that this truck had some weird and unusual servo unit.

greenmeanie
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I should point out that that servo is for the OEM single circuit brake system on NADA 6 cyl. If it fails a common upgrade is to swap in a series 111 dual circuit system with servo mounted to the pedal tower. It's not cheap but it does give you the safety of dual circuits in the event of a catastrophic leak.

I think I read somewhere that with single circuit brakes it is a good idea to simulate an emergency stop while sitting in the driveway about once a month to see if anything will pop. It's always nice to find out about these things when you're stationary.
Cheers
Gregor

Terrys
03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Any and all SU parts can be gotten from Mini Mania.
The aftermarket brake servo that XKs Unlimited sells for MK2s is a dual circuit remote servo. They used to be in the range of $375, but I don't see it on their website at the moment. I do have a brand new one on the shelf.
The way it worked is pressure from a small master cylinder at the pedal gave it's pressure to the servo piston. Vacuum fro mthe engine boosted that pressure sufficiently to work all the wheel cylinders.

giorgio
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
The coil should bolt up against the bulkhead .

Your brake/clutch fluid reservoir has been changed.

My brake servo is entirely different, but you can barely see it in the photo.

greenmeanie
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
That brake and clutch resevoir is off a 101 and is worth good money these days if it is in good nick. It has a metal fitting on the botom and a separate plastic hose barb on the side. Unfortunately heat and sun eat those plastic ones.

Cheers
Gregor

mfreeman
03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
The unit on your truck is a Bendix servo same as used on mid-1950's big US cars, think Cadillac and Roadmaster Buicks. The servo you were given is a Clayton Dewandre unit made in the UK under liscence from Bendix. They are interchangeable and both period correct for your car. Rebuild kits for either servo are out there but rare and expensive. As mentioned earlier, not the safest thing on the road and unless you are doing a restoration an upgrade would be good idea.

Linus Tremaine
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
The carb is an SU (skinners union) model HD8. It is a two inch bore.

My truck has had its brake booster removed and bypassed. My brakes are single circuit non power just as a regular 109 would have been. I plan to do the sIII upgrade.

Dont forget, you can still just sell it to me....
:)

giorgio
03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
"That brake and clutch resevoir is off a 101 and is worth good money these days if it is in good nick."

It is identical in appearance to the one that came on my 109 NADA 2.6

It is actually a new replacement from Wise Owl part # 504105 for less than $40.

It is of much heavier construction than the original.

(My apologies to our kind sponsors, who, however, did not stock this part.)

highmile
03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys!

I was told by somebody either on this forum or another that my brake/clutch reservior is a replacement unit from Rovers North. I do still have the original reservior in a box of miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Sounds like it is possible to bypass the whole servo unit if necessary?

Any links to the Seriess III brake upgrade?

SeaMiler
03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a '68 6 cyl, but don't have the muffler-looking air filter, what's the story there?

highmile
03-13-2008, 12:10 PM
That muffler looking thing is the air intake. There is an airfilter inside.

From my understanding:
They only built 811 of the NADA (North American Dollar Area) 109's sold in 1967 for the North American market. It was the last year that the 109's were ever sold in the US. The NADA trucks had a modified 6 cylinder from what is found in the European market to increase the engine's power to compete for American buyers.

I'm not sure of all the modifications to the NADA 6 cylinder over a standard 6 cylinder. I'm sure somebody else might be able to add to this.

SeaMiler
03-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Very interesting. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does that mean that my '68 was imported later, i.e., not originally sold in the domestic market? Never thought about it.

highmile
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
It very well might be an imported truck. I'd check the VIN# with information from Land Rover FAQ as a start.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.type.html

singingcamel
03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a spare engine, minus the carb, also a couple of fuel pumps and a spare break booster , i'd let you have em cheap..
I restored a 1967 109 NADA a few years ago . Its on my site under Petes rover..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

highmile
03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Has anybody done an alternator conversion on these 6 cylinder NADA trucks? I still have the original generator.

jp-
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I did a Lucas alternator conversion when I rewired my NADA. Nothing to it really, just the fab work for the alternator bracket.