PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

UNC Discovery
12-02-2006, 01:58 AM
I have to replace my fuel pump, I'm told this mens I have to drop my tank. Does naybody have any experince doing this. Any help would be much appreciated.

siiirhd88
12-02-2006, 06:30 AM
On our '96 Discovery the fule pump and tank level sending unit is located on the top side of the fuel tank and is accessed via a removable panel in the cargo area. The carpet needs to be lifted to remove the panel, and then the fuel pump ring spun off.

HTH,
Bob

landi41
12-02-2006, 07:36 AM
I concur Dr. :)
Just checked the workshop manual..........

UNC Discovery
12-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Really, well thats great. I was dreading having to drop the tank. Iwas also told all I have to do is unscrew the old fuel pump, much like a gas cap and then screw in the new one. Should I jut order the fuel pump off of the website, part #PLF132? Thanks again guys.

siiirhd88
12-02-2006, 05:41 PM
I think we are on the 5th fuel pump in our 161K mile '96 Discovery. I keep a good used one as a spare for 'just in case', but the next time I will replace the stock pump with an external pump, and use the stock pump assembly for the fuel level sender. I've used RN or the dealer for the part.

Bob

UNC Discovery
12-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow, six! Where do you get a used fuel pump. mv

siiirhd88
12-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I picked up the used fuel pump from a nearby British/Exotic/Land Rover salvage yard that is owned by a friend. His yard has been very convienient....

Bob

landi41
12-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Really, well thats great. I was dreading having to drop the tank. Iwas also told all I have to do is unscrew the old fuel pump, much like a gas cap and then screw in the new one. Should I jut order the fuel pump off of the website, part #PLF132? Thanks again guys.

I think Dodge PU trucks have that mason jar type of lid holding the fuel pump down......Land Rovers use a metel ring, which must be rotated......and removed.

There is a good chance it is corroded and perhaps not re-usable, i'd have a new one on hand if you go the used fuel pump route..........

UNC Discovery
12-03-2006, 05:31 PM
i apreciate the insight

azrover
01-05-2007, 10:43 AM
My Disco is a 96 with 104mi on it. I'm currently trouble shooting a possible fuel pump problem. But I'm also led to believe it could be a relay problem . There appears to be no power getting to the pump. Do you have any suggestions ? I'm hope it's a relay and not a pump it's much cheaper

Buddy
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
My Disco is a 96 with 104mi on it. I'm currently trouble shooting a possible fuel pump problem. But I'm also led to believe it could be a relay problem . There appears to be no power getting to the pump. Do you have any suggestions ? I'm hope it's a relay and not a pump it's much cheaper

Relay issues are generally fairly simple to diagnose if you have a multimeter and a wiring diagram. Just find the offending relay make sure you have juice to the appropriate contacts and then find a identical relay plug it in and see if it works. If you don't have juice to the contacts that should have it start looking at fuses or other sources.

First thing I would check though is to see if the fuel pump itself is getting juice and has a good ground. But from your message I guess you've already checked that.

I'm not sure on the Rover Fuel pump since I've not had the pleasure of messing with it but normally you can jump a fuel pump with a hot wire just to test it to see if it works at all. Not to run it that is.

The above is based on my normal electrical troubleshooting not the Disco Fuel pump specifically because I've not messed with those yet. (standard disclaimer)

UNC Discovery
01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
well, i just got mine back from the mechanic today. he mentioned that i might have a relay problem, but the fuel pump just needed replecement.
I bought a used fuel pump off of ebay from roverguy.com. he has a rover yard from which he pulls all of his parts.

heres a question for you, I have to put a radio code in before my radio will work. this hapened when the fuel pump and starter went out. i was told that i just need to punch in my 5 digit code, however when I do it does nothing, any thoughts...

Buddy
01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
i was told that i just need to punch in my 5 digit code, however when I do it does nothing, any thoughts...

Do you have the correct code? On mine when I enter the code it just starts working. I would think either your code is wrong or the radio is bad. But since it was working prior to battery disconect it's probably the code.

UNC Discovery
01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
well the previous owner gave me that code, i punched it in and it just beeps...maybe wrong code..

J!m
01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I think this was mentioned elsewhere, but to repeat: a dealer can get your code from your VIN. If the radio is from another vehicle, you're SOL.

azrover
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm about to buy a used Fuel Pump from RoverGuy. Any thing I should ask before I purchase from them like does it have couplers . Any advice is welcomed .

Thanks All

UNC Discovery
01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Just make sure that the pump is not used, I recently heard of someone who bought a used fuel pump. It had 20,000 miles on it. While in transit it started to leak. The Distributor was chaged a 1000 fine by the carrier and the package reached its final destination securely in a barrel a week later.

singingcamel
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
:nono: Dont buy as used pump!!! you'll be stranded time and time again.
to make this rover dependable dont cut corners, there are some things you can replace with used parts but electrical componets are not one. you'll be sorry

mussolini
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
About the radio. I thin kthat i read in the manual that sometimes the code may not work and the thing just beeps. You need to leave the car on and the radioon for an hour (if I recall correctly) before you can retry the code. This happened to mine but I still have not bothered to try it. Let me know if it works

UNC Discovery
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
M, i havnt been on in a while, but it did work, thanks for the tip. mv

DCarr
04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
AZRover - Did the pump work when you put it in? You mentioned in an early posting that it appeared you had no power to the pump.

Everyone - My '96 Disco died yesterday. Fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced it, it blew again. Opened up the access to the fuel pump, unplugged the wiring harness, replaced fuse, but test light shows no juice at the pump. So, I hooked everything back up, went to the fuse box and checked to see if circuit would be complete by pulling the fuse and jumping the circuit with the test light - No light, no reaction from the pump. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or is there some sort of fail safe built in that would prevent continuous power to the pump? Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay(s) are located in a '96 Discovery?

J!m
04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm certainly no expert on this but one idea came to mind...

Is there a security system? Perhaps this is interrupting the power to the fuel pump if faulty...

DCarr
04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Just the standard LR alarm that sets when you lock the doors. There is no aftermarket system on the car. Doors were unlocked - open - when we started trying to figure it out, so LR system was disarmed.

lrsucker
06-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I have a 95 Disco that currently was not starting - it has been standing for a couple of months. I checked the firing of the plug wires by using a timing light - all cyl are firing. So it appeared there was no fuel to the motor. I didn't hear the pump run (pressurize) when I first turned on the key. Checked all of the fuses and only found the fuse for the side lights blown. Replaced it. I measured 5.2 volts at the connector for the fuel pump with the key turned on. Later, I pulled the fuel pump and measured across the red and black wires which measured 90K ohms with a multimeter on the ohms scale( this is much higher resistance than should be). I brought the fuel pump to a LR mechanic who confirmed that the pump was bad. When I get a new pump, I will post the proper resistance of the new pump motor and the resistance of the float. PS: I am an electronic technician, but without schematics of the wiring it is difficult to trace the relays for the fuel pump. One thing I did notice, there was no pressure in the rail when I depressed the air valve in the injector rail ( metal pipe on top of the motor). My pump was replaced about 2 years ago with the gas tank , when LR had a recall replacement for the tanks. So, with only 10,000 miles on the pump, and the DISCO sitting for 2-3 months, should not have gone. PS, make sure you have gas in the tank. Running the pump without gas in the tank will burn up the pump. I may have a bad or sticking float which was reading 1/2 tank when in reality I was empty- the jury is out on this one.

Art @ Cape Cod

AZRover - Did the pump work when you put it in? You mentioned in an early posting that it appeared you had no power to the pump.

Everyone - My '96 Disco died yesterday. Fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced it, it blew again. Opened up the access to the fuel pump, unplugged the wiring harness, replaced fuse, but test light shows no juice at the pump. So, I hooked everything back up, went to the fuse box and checked to see if circuit would be complete by pulling the fuse and jumping the circuit with the test light - No light, no reaction from the pump. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or is there some sort of fail safe built in that would prevent continuous power to the pump? Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay(s) are located in a '96 Discovery?

SGFMORover
06-18-2007, 09:09 PM
had some fuel pump problems myself; i would recommend downloading rave to check wiring diagrams, there are some relays that can/are known to cause issues. I actually rebuilt my fuel pump with parts from a local store for very little money, a new screen and a generic pump that fits the factory assembly and pushes adequate pressure and problem solved. one thing to check for certain is gonna be your fuel pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail, if its not keeping pressure when your pump is running it can prematurely burn out a pump trying to maintain pressure and prevent normal operation. your float is attached to the rest of the assembly relatively easily accessed through the flooring in the cargo area. also a good place to check for/tend to rust.... i was a bit shocked with the amount I found underneath.

lrsucker
09-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Replacing the fuel pump fixed my problem. Check the fuses on the fuse box in the motor compartment. It certainly could be one of the relays behind the kick pannel on the passengers side. The voltage you measure at the pump may be about 5.0 volts DC. I expected about 12 vdc.

Yes, as SGFMORover mentioned, rust in the fuel pump cover area is certainly a place to check on a regular basis.

joshua.mcguoirk
09-28-2007, 08:04 AM
My original pump had over 110,000 mi.

Lucky for me, LR decided to recall the fuel tank.

Brought "Lucas" in to the dealer for relacement and requested a Genuine Fuel Pump be installed. Unfortunate for the dealer they had to replace many items hoses, gaskets, ring... Got away unscathed at a mere $300.00.

You must remember to keep your tank 1/4 full. The fuel acts as both a coolant and lubricator for the pump. ALWAYS replace the filter. A clogged filter will make the pump work harder to push the fuel to the cylinders.