X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UNC Discovery
    Low Range
    • Dec 2006

Fuel Pump

I have to replace my fuel pump, I'm told this mens I have to drop my tank. Does naybody have any experince doing this. Any help would be much appreciated.
    UNC Discovery
    GO HEELS!
  • siiirhd88
    3rd Gear
    • Oct 2006

re: Discovery fuel pump

On our '96 Discovery the fule pump and tank level sending unit is located on the top side of the fuel tank and is accessed via a removable panel in the cargo area. The carpet needs to be lifted to remove the panel, and then the fuel pump ring spun off.

HTH,
    Bob

Comment

• landi41
      Low Range
      • Oct 2006

I concur Dr.
      Just checked the workshop manual..........
      regards; Dave
      A 1997 Discovery guy from

Comment

• UNC Discovery
        Low Range
        • Dec 2006

Really, well thats great. I was dreading having to drop the tank. Iwas also told all I have to do is unscrew the old fuel pump, much like a gas cap and then screw in the new one. Should I jut order the fuel pump off of the website, part #PLF132? Thanks again guys.
        UNC Discovery
        GO HEELS!

Comment

• siiirhd88
          3rd Gear
          • Oct 2006

I think we are on the 5th fuel pump in our 161K mile '96 Discovery. I keep a good used one as a spare for 'just in case', but the next time I will replace the stock pump with an external pump, and use the stock pump assembly for the fuel level sender. I've used RN or the dealer for the part.

Bob

Comment

• UNC Discovery
            Low Range
            • Dec 2006

Wow, six! Where do you get a used fuel pump. mv
            UNC Discovery
            GO HEELS!

Comment

• siiirhd88
              3rd Gear
              • Oct 2006

I picked up the used fuel pump from a nearby British/Exotic/Land Rover salvage yard that is owned by a friend. His yard has been very convienient....

Bob

Comment

• landi41
                Low Range
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by UNC Discovery
                Really, well thats great. I was dreading having to drop the tank. Iwas also told all I have to do is unscrew the old fuel pump, much like a gas cap and then screw in the new one. Should I jut order the fuel pump off of the website, part #PLF132? Thanks again guys.
                I think Dodge PU trucks have that mason jar type of lid holding the fuel pump down......Land Rovers use a metel ring, which must be rotated......and removed.

There is a good chance it is corroded and perhaps not re-usable, i'd have a new one on hand if you go the used fuel pump route..........
                regards; Dave
                A 1997 Discovery guy from

Comment

• UNC Discovery
                  Low Range
                  • Dec 2006

thanks

i apreciate the insight
                  UNC Discovery
                  GO HEELS!

Comment

• azrover
                    Low Range
                    • Jan 2007

Fuel Pump Or Relay

My Disco is a 96 with 104mi on it. I'm currently trouble shooting a possible fuel pump problem. But I'm also led to believe it could be a relay problem . There appears to be no power getting to the pump. Do you have any suggestions ? I'm hope it's a relay and not a pump it's much cheaper

Comment

• Buddy
                      Low Range
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by azrover
                      My Disco is a 96 with 104mi on it. I'm currently trouble shooting a possible fuel pump problem. But I'm also led to believe it could be a relay problem . There appears to be no power getting to the pump. Do you have any suggestions ? I'm hope it's a relay and not a pump it's much cheaper
                      Relay issues are generally fairly simple to diagnose if you have a multimeter and a wiring diagram. Just find the offending relay make sure you have juice to the appropriate contacts and then find a identical relay plug it in and see if it works. If you don't have juice to the contacts that should have it start looking at fuses or other sources.

First thing I would check though is to see if the fuel pump itself is getting juice and has a good ground. But from your message I guess you've already checked that.

I'm not sure on the Rover Fuel pump since I've not had the pleasure of messing with it but normally you can jump a fuel pump with a hot wire just to test it to see if it works at all. Not to run it that is.

The above is based on my normal electrical troubleshooting not the Disco Fuel pump specifically because I've not messed with those yet. (standard disclaimer)

Comment

• UNC Discovery
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2006

well, i just got mine back from the mechanic today. he mentioned that i might have a relay problem, but the fuel pump just needed replecement.
                        I bought a used fuel pump off of ebay from roverguy.com. he has a rover yard from which he pulls all of his parts.

heres a question for you, I have to put a radio code in before my radio will work. this hapened when the fuel pump and starter went out. i was told that i just need to punch in my 5 digit code, however when I do it does nothing, any thoughts...
                        UNC Discovery
                        GO HEELS!

Comment

• Buddy
                          Low Range
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by UNC Discovery
                          i was told that i just need to punch in my 5 digit code, however when I do it does nothing, any thoughts...
                          Do you have the correct code? On mine when I enter the code it just starts working. I would think either your code is wrong or the radio is bad. But since it was working prior to battery disconect it's probably the code.

Comment

• UNC Discovery
                            Low Range
                            • Dec 2006

well the previous owner gave me that code, i punched it in and it just beeps...maybe wrong code..
                            UNC Discovery
                            GO HEELS!

Comment

• J!m
                              2nd Gear
                              • Nov 2006

I think this was mentioned elsewhere, but to repeat: a dealer can get your code from your VIN. If the radio is from another vehicle, you're SOL.
                              Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Comment

Working...