PDA

View Full Version : Hard Top Removal - Suggestions/Tips?

NC Rover
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Never removed a series hard top before and I'm looking for some good info before it warms up and I take it off. Any problem spots to look for?

-Do you do anything specific to keep from breaking something?
-Since its so heavy, whats the best method to remove it?
-Is there a certain proceedure to removing the hardtop?

thanks ahead of time

KevinNY
03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I can do it solo in a 1/2 hour. Remove the bolts across the top of the windscreen, remove the 4 corner nuts at the bottom of the hoopsupports, 2 bolts on either side of tailgate and perhaps 2 small bolted clips on mid way on either side of the rear tub. The seals will be stuck if it has never been off before. Stand in the front of the tub and put your back on the roof and lift. Walking it off solo is a bit tricky, better to get a friend and a couple of 2x4s, much easier.

leafsprung
03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
pretty straight forward. If you have space to store it in one piece, just unbolt the windshield frame from the top and sides from the cappings and off it comes. Otherwise you can unbolt the top from the sides, remove it, then the sides. It stores easier this way. Its bulky but not heavy. I take them on and off by myself all the time.

Mercedesrover
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I take them on and off by myself all the time.

Ya wonder why your back is bad. :D

I hoist mine up into the rafters with a couple ratchet straps.

leafsprung
03-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Ya wonder why your back is bad

Thats from lifting the enignes by myself . . .:)

Paul Rossmann
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Nobody mentioned taking the back door off!
If you have some way to support the roof overhead (rafters, etc.) you can tie it up and carefully drive out from under it. It helps if you can hoist it up an inch or so.

TCapelle
03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Quick question based on one of the comments above

Do all the top pieces unbolt from the sides of a 109 top- even a carawagon?

Thx
Tim

DRTPOOR
03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I remove mine by myself too, ussually while my wife watches. She tells me I look like a giant turtle.

LaneRover
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Quick question based on one of the comments above

Do all the top pieces unbolt from the sides of a 109 top- even a carawagon?

Thx
Tim

I believe that the sides of a Carawagon should unbolt from the top the same as any Rover as I believe the sides are interchangeable as long as the wheelbase is the same. I am making an educated guess on this one though as I have never actually done it and have not looked that closely at a Carawagon conversion.

Tim Smith
03-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree with all of the above. :thumb-up:

One thing to note, if this is the first time taking your hard top off, you may want a paint scraper to slide between the window frame and the roof frame. I've found a bunch of SPOTS where the previous owned added silicone or some such in an attempt to stop the leaking. Use the paint scraper to avoid bending the roof frame while you are lifting up. Some times a small wedge helps while sliding the scraper through.

By the way the roof isn't heavy, just awkward as heck. I've also found that removing the rear lift gate helps a bit but if you have a deluxe hard top, then you might want to take the sides off as well. It's just a bunch more bolts to undo and another seal to break is all. Much easier to store that way too.