PDA

View Full Version : Replacing transfer case

KevinNY
03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I am going to swap in a Suffix B transfer case this weekend. Any Gotcha's to look out for. I have the brake off, the intermediate shaft and gear cluster out etc. of the one going in. My frame has a removeable cross member as well. With the gears out, brake off and the rear cover off I was surprised how manageable the weight becomes.

graniterover
03-13-2008, 10:01 PM
When you finish you can drive over to my place and take care of mine. Just saying - if it's that managable....

I think I have a suffix b. Was wondering if I could use the low from that in my high ratio.... Just thinking.

KevinNY
03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately you can't combine the lo from a Suffix B with the Hi Ratio transfer case. There has been talk of a over/underdrive for a series through, the years but no one has ever brought one to the market. The 2.89 lo behind a series III gearbox gives a nice 23% reduction though and a 50:1 1st gear.

Mercedesrover
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't like the studs they use for the mounting brackets. Might want to change over to 7/16 x 14 bolt with a lock washer.

Throw in a magnetic check plug. (I use them on all the gear-filled places on my truck.)

The cleavis pins on the e-brake can be a pain.

The long shift-limit bolt that goes through the case can be a pain too. Make sure you lube it up with some penatrating oil.

Put on of my lower pans on! :) The tin ones suck.

Take the right floor pan out too. It helps to hook up the levers and front drive shaft.

jim

EDIT: Hey Kevin, are you playing in Kingston this weekend?

EDIT, EDIT: Ah fer cryin' out loud....it was last week! That's the second time I've missed it....

KevinNY
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Kingston???

The nice thing is I have plenty of room underneath with my lift and tires. Since the t case was out recently the fasteners on the bits like the ebrake pivot should be easier.

Shift limit bolt? Clarification please.

Mercedesrover
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
At the top, humpy part of the t-case is a long 1/4x28 screw with a lock not that adjusts the 3rd gear throw. It's got a screwdriver slot carved in the end of the screw that you can mangle if you're not carefull. Not the position/length of that screw and make sure it's back in the same spot when you put things back together.

daveb
03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
minor point but that is the reverse stop screw, not 3rd gear.

don't recall the instructions for setting it but I have seen one where the nut spun away from the case allowing the screw to spin itself in until reverse was no longer selectable.

caused quite a panic for the owner.

At the top, humpy part of the t-case is a long 1/4x28 screw with a lock not that adjusts the 3rd gear throw. It's got a screwdriver slot carved in the end of the screw that you can mangle if you're not carefull. Not the position/length of that screw and make sure it's back in the same spot when you put things back together.