PDA

View Full Version : NOISE IN THE DRIVER'S SIDE SWIVEL AREA

EASTTNROVER
03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I am going to explain this as best as possible... when I accelerate then let off the gas I get a sorta grinding noise in the front tire area. Sounded like the wheel bearings needed some grease or the races were spinning. Really figured it was the bearings, so I re-packed the wheel bearings and everything checked out ok. Took her for a drive, same noise. I can really feel it on the clutch when happens. Not too knowledgeable in the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mercedesrover
03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Lock out hubs or no?
There's nothing to "pack" in the wheel bearings...They run in oil.
If you don't run lock outs, my guess is a bad u-joint in the axle.

I Leak Oil
03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Yup, if it's coming from the wheel area it's the wheel bearings, U-joint or the axle shaft support bearing, not much else there to go wrong. If you do have FWH's it could be trashed but you would have noticed when you had the hub apart. Drive line noises can be tough to diagnose because it's tough to pinpoint the area that's making the noise while you're driving!
Jason T.

EASTTNROVER
03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Lock out hubs or no?
There's nothing to "pack" in the wheel bearings...They run in oil.
If you don't run lock outs, my guess is a bad u-joint in the axle.

I have grease in the swivels so I pack the bearings...not to start that debate. I got free wheeling hubs, not had any issues out of them, so probably the u joints. Thanks for the info.

Mercedesrover
03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I swear by Lucas Hub Oil. Thicker than gear oil so it's less likely to leak but flows better then grease. But you're right, don't want to get into that debate, just offering an alternative.

Daurie
03-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Is there any difference in the noise when you go from 4wd to 2wd or 2wd with hubs engaged? My guess would be if you're in 4wd with the hubs locked it would be worse.. or at least noticably diffirent if its the ujoint. Support the truck with the front wheels off the ground and lift them to see if there is any play in the swivel pins/ralico.

On a side note, I had a ball joint go bad once on a vehicle and I would have sworn it was bearing related..

Does it make the noise on light deceleration or heavy decel? I was decieved another time buy a grinding sound that happened on heavy deceleration that turned out to be a leaf spring issue that only came as the weight transefered forward just the right amount. Never under braking either.. I was stumped for a while.

If you suspect a component that is readily accesible (suspention, ball joint etc.) douse it with penetrating oil and go for a drive and see if the noise dissapears.

Good luck!

EASTTNROVER
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Seems the inner hub nut were too loose and the race was spinning, least thats what I came up with. Tightened everything up again and took her for a quick trip...no more noise, for now. thanks for the info!