PDA

View Full Version : Axle shipping weight.

greenmeanie
03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Can anyone tell me the weight of a SIII slisbury rear axle drum to drum?

Cheers
Gregor

autoguy
03-15-2008, 10:50 PM
i dont know what a slisbury rear axle weighs, but i do know it took 4 guys to move my front axle a couple of feet and we where sore for a few days afterwards :)

O'Brien
03-15-2008, 11:55 PM
they seriously can't weigh four guys worth... i was moving my rear non-sals axle today, with the rear diff on by myself. easy pick up with a guy on each end. including the pallet for shipping, i don't know, maybe 400-500 pounds at most? ike probably knows...

leafsprung
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
i dont know what a slisbury rear axle weighs, but i do know it took 4 guys to move my front axle a couple of feet and we where sore for a few days afterwards :)

sheesh, eat you wheaties they arent that heavy. :D I donno what a sals weighs, Id have to throw it on a scale.

O'Brien
03-16-2008, 12:11 AM
according to this conversation on a uk board, they weight about 265 pounds (minus the half shafts)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/lofiversion/index.php/t22099.html

greenmeanie
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Aye the shipping is going to hurt on this one. Unfortunately rovers are thin on the ground in AZ and Sals are a rare thing. But mucho torque requires strong axles. Admittedly my new truck has survived at least a couple of decades with a rover axle. On the other hand I'm planning on bumping the power up to around 200 hp and I get the impression the previous owner didn't drive like a lunatic. Need big axle!

autoguy
03-16-2008, 12:31 AM
sheesh, eat you wheaties they arent that heavy. :D I donno what a sals weighs, Id have to throw it on a scale.

lol, goes and gets wheaties :) we are fairly skinny and we where moving it uphill :)

KingSlug
03-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Are you kidding? I stood one up on end and moved it about 30' before leaning it against a pickup bed, then with one end in the bed I lifted the other end and pushed the thing into the bed. Sure I wasn't jumping around with it and was taking short focused steps but it wasn't impossible to move. That was Wed so if I am not sore by now I am probably OK.

Jared

Eric W S
03-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Aye the shipping is going to hurt on this one. Unfortunately rovers are thin on the ground in AZ and Sals are a rare thing. But mucho torque requires strong axles. Admittedly my new truck has survived at least a couple of decades with a rover axle. On the other hand I'm planning on bumping the power up to around 200 hp and I get the impression the previous owner didn't drive like a lunatic. Need big axle!

Series Trek 30 Splines with Toy locking thirds. www.seriestrek.com. Locking Diffs with e-lockers, new lower ring gears, and cheaper to ship.

A guy in the club with a disco rock buggy on 40's is running these. Not a single problem. (He is using the Rover Tracks axles instead of Jim's)

S11A
03-16-2008, 09:31 AM
A couple of data points for shipping, although the weight is not listed and I don't know if the guy marked up the shipping to cover things like pallet cost, labor to palletize, etc.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Land-Rover-Series-IIa-2a-complete-axle-axel-rear_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34208QQihZ011QQite mZ320224768706QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Land-Rover-Series-IIa-2a-complete-axle-axel-front_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34208QQihZ011QQit emZ320224768408QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

A side note: the person listed them as "unique but indestructible" but gave no details on what made them so. No real details so I guess it is not surprising they didn't sell. That and the freight cost...

greenmeanie
03-16-2008, 10:33 AM
A side note: the person listed them as "unique but indestructible" but gave no details on what made them so. No real details so I guess it is not surprising they didn't sell. That and the freight cost...

Thanks for the data points. It's not going to be cheap!

I think the gentleman above is probably one of those types that sells Land Rovers that don't rust because they're aluminium. A good bit sales hype until reality sets in.

greenmeanie
03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Series Trek 30 Splines with Toy locking thirds. www.seriestrek.com (http://www.seriestrek.com). Locking Diffs with e-lockers, new lower ring gears, and cheaper to ship.

A guy in the club with a disco rock buggy on 40's is running these. Not a single problem. (He is using the Rover Tracks axles instead of Jim's)

Jim's stuff is undoubtably good and well designed. That set up, however, is still considerably more expensive than shipping a sals. I could go with the lower spec axles to cut some cost I suppose.

I have to face facts that this is not going to be an off road monster for some time. Right now I'm looking for the heavy duty rear end to absorb the engine torque and use the spare cash to do an NP435 conversion.

Once I have her on the road with some upgrades to improve safety I'll let my bank account recover for a while and then take a new look at the next stage of upgrades.

The shopping list for this week is:
- Complete set of oil seals for axles & tranny.
- POR 15 kit to fix leak in fuel tank.
- New radiator
- Late IIA/III steering wheel
- New set of front doors.
- A set of those nice RM aluminium door tops.
- New front prop shaft
- Set of Jim's steering linkage bars
- Full set of seals for the brake hydraulics.

- About 1 million small additional small items.

If anyone has a set of IIA doors they want rid of or the steering wheel give me a shout.

It's going to be a long hot summer in the garage rebuilding this old girl.
Cheers
Gregor

autoguy
03-16-2008, 12:53 PM
my axle has the heavy duty springs on it too when we moved it :)

Tim Smith
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
my axle has the heavy duty springs on it too when we moved it :)

Well, now you are talking. Those springs are pretty heavy too.

Don't let these guys make you feel bad. I once pulled my back lifting the hood of my truck.

Although the hood still had the spare on it and was suction cupped into a mud hole at the time. :p

jp-
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Are you kidding? I stood one up on end and moved it about 30' before leaning it against a pickup bed, then with one end in the bed I lifted the other end and pushed the thing into the bed. Sure I wasn't jumping around with it and was taking short focused steps but it wasn't impossible to move. That was Wed so if I am not sore by now I am probably OK.

Jared

Actually, I use a Salisbury axle as my curling bar, and I put the tires on when I feel like doing a few bench presses, but it's just not quite enough weight these days...

autoguy
03-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Don't let these guys make you feel bad. I once pulled my back lifting the hood of my truck.

Although the hood still had the spare on it and was suction cupped into a mud hole at the time. :p

aye tis all good, i know its in jest :)

jp, what should I work up from to be able to bench an axle ? :)

yorker
03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Gregor- are you sure you don't want to go the Toyota conversion route? I know there is some appeal to have a salisbury since your 101 has them too but the toyota conversion is more practical- especially since you can use a lot more R&P ratios. With a powerful 292 I don't think you really need the 4.7s anymore. Plus how much really interchanges between the 101 Sals and the Series Sals?

yorker
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM

I had a boss once that HATED Land Rovers- on his first day as a kid working for a land surveying firm he had gone out to put the battery in one of the firm's Land Rovers and a stiff gust of wind closed the hood on his hand breaking his fingers in it...

greenmeanie
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Gregor- are you sure you don't want to go the Toyota conversion route? I know there is some appeal to have a salisbury since your 101 has them too but the toyota conversion is more practical- especially since you can use a lot more R&P ratios. With a powerful 292 I don't think you really need the 4.7s anymore. Plus how much really interchanges between the 101 Sals and the Series Sals?

Ah yes Yorker,
I agree they are attractive. I was more addressing the 30 spline axle route. At the moment I'm just trying to sort a few things and have to realise a limited budget. As such I was thinking a simple sals swap covering one axle would be the cheapest route, even figuring in the ugly shipping.

Rather than a nut and bolt rebuild from scratch I am planning this rebuild in stages.
1st stage is to sddress the immediate issues on the truck that prevent it from being roadworthy. In this case the hydraulics need overhauled and the fuel tank needs sealed and it looks like a rewire is on the cards. I just love wiring trucks it seems. She needs proper seat belts and high back seats for safety.

2nd stage is making her look pretty and one colour so my wife isn't embarassed to have it in the driveway. This makes a big difference to how weasy the project will go if you know what I mean. I also want to adress some of the safety issues like adding rock sliders to add strength in case of side impact

3rd stage is where I will really start addressing the areas of the truck I want to improve. Putting a good axle set up under her and an NP435 plus high ratio ntransfer case in there.

4th stage is adding any frivolous goodies like roof racks, radio and furry dice.

Cheers
Gregor

jp-
03-18-2008, 12:04 PM
I had a boss once that HATED Land Rovers- on his first day as a kid working for a land surveying firm he had gone out to put the battery in one of the firm's Land Rovers and a stiff gust of wind closed the hood on his hand breaking his fingers in it...

I once had a 1970 Caddy hood closed on my fingers...

Yeah, it sucked.

sven
03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I once had a 1970 Caddy hood closed on my fingers...

Yeah, it sucked.

I bet that Caddy hood weighed more than a Salsbury Axle. :eek:

LaneRover
03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I bet that Caddy hood weighed more than a Salsbury Axle. :eek:

May have been stronger too!

Willard
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Gregor- are you sure you don't want to go the Toyota conversion route? I know there is some appeal to have a salisbury since your 101 has them too but the toyota conversion is more practical- especially since you can use a lot more R&P ratios.

This is exactly what i am doing to mine. I am putting '78 FJ40 axles into the Rover and i can tell you it is not a direct bolt in, i will have to reweld the spring perches at the minimum, but it looks like it will be a great conversion and gives me disk brakes in the front.

The Sals Axles weights about 275lbs according to my bathroom scale (sorry i did not have anything else and very happy i have my own engine crane)

yorker
03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Ah yes Yorker,
I agree they are attractive. I was more addressing the 30 spline axle route. At the moment I'm just trying to sort a few things and have to realise a limited budget. As such I was thinking a simple sals swap covering one axle would be the cheapest route, even figuring in the ugly shipping.

I think in that event I'd just try a set of 24 spline rover axles from Jim Young. Maybe with a True Trac rear diff or a later 24 spline Disco doff(or mayne P38 RR. I think some of the later diffs were 24 spline 4 pin? In fact I think that is what all the HD 110s are using now- hasn't LR abandoned the Sals axles now for 4 pin 24 spline rover stuff- Seems I read that somewhere....:confused:

greenmeanie
03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I think in that event I'd just try a set of 24 spline rover axles from Jim Young. Maybe with a True Trac rear diff or a later 24 spline Disco doff(or mayne P38 RR. I think some of the later diffs were 24 spline 4 pin? In fact I think that is what all the HD 110s are using now- hasn't LR abandoned the Sals axles now for 4 pin 24 spline rover stuff- Seems I read that somewhere....:confused:

Yes, Rover has gone 4 pin rover style on all the new defenders. I've no idea how they compare to the sals. For $200-$500 it's hard to beat the sals for a direct swap for strength for the money. Of course, that figures that you can find one close enough to economically ship/pick up. Man I miss the UK wher I was practically tripping over the damn things. Old rover parts are few and far between in Phoenix.

After a thorough examination she'll need at least new springs, hydraulic seals, a good steering overhaul, new radiator configuration, the fuel tank sealed, seat belts and probably a rewire before I even get close to axles. I think my bank manger is in tears all ready.

Willard, I am still trying tofigure out shipping but it looks like it may be a deal breaker on this one.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Well I guess you might as well gewt it together and running and see how you like it with the gearing you have now- then you can decide what to do about rear axles. Cheapest solution might be 24 spline shafts and a disco 24 spline Diff- you should be able to get one of them for $50 or so. They are 2 pin but it would give you a margin of strength over the 10 spline stuff.

Either that or a set of FJ55 or FJ60 axles...

greenmeanie
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM

I know, I know, I'll get there eventually. Just keep beating me up about it.:)

Willard
03-19-2008, 07:45 AM

Greenmeanie,
I can let you know how the FJ40 axles end up.
IF all goes well, i might only need to reweld the spring perches. So far on the front (need to readjust a few things for final fitment) it looks to be just about perfect.
I would think FJ60 axles to be too wide.
The front 40 axle is almost the exact same width and the spring mount are almost dead on to the original 109 axle. The rear has not been measured yet.
Nice thing about going LC axles are the options you have (and yes you can get stronger birfields) and you get disk brakes up front. The bad thing is it will require a little more work to fit them, they are not original series axles (if your keeping that concept), but all in all I think it will be ok and if done right, will look almost like it was ment to be.

greenmeanie
03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Cheers for that Willard,
I am not overly concerned about originality as she already has a Chevy 6 cyl conversion. I'm just poking around seeing where I can get the best bang for my hard earned and very rare buck. The Toy axles sound a good way to go in the long term, I was just hoping to take the shortest and simplest route for the time being.

Cheers
Gregor

zayante
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Does the LC axle match up well with the LR steering linkage? Would you also want to install the LC steering box?

jp-
03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
... Cheapest solution might be 24 spline shafts and a disco 24 spline Diff- you should be able to get one of them for $50 or so...

Yorker,

Does the Disco diff bolt into the original Rover Axle Housing? If so, what ring and pinions are available? Is the Disco a 3.54?

greenmeanie
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
The Disco 1 diff at least bolts straight in. They are originally 3.54 but will take the 4.7 ring and pinion. IIRC you need a roughly .100 thick spacer to mount the series ring to the Disco carrier. The post 93 diffs are 24 spline.

From the GBR site "They normally come supplied with 3.54 or 4.70 gear ratios although a wide range of ratios can be special ordered, including 3.42, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.85, 5.29 and 5.71. " I think those are from McNamara's in Australia though.

I've heard of 4.1's installed but none of the others.

Cheers
Gregor

Eric W S
03-20-2008, 12:13 PM
The Disco 1 diff at least bolts straight in. They are originally 3.54 but will take the 4.7 ring and pinion. IIRC you need a roughly .100 thick spacer to mount the series ring to the Disco carrier. The post 93 diffs are 24 spline.

From the GBR site "They normally come supplied with 3.54 or 4.70 gear ratios although a wide range of ratios can be special ordered, including 3.42, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.85, 5.29 and 5.71. " I think those are from McNamara's in Australia though.

I've heard of 4.1's installed but none of the others.

Cheers
Gregor

They are a royal pain to get as well. I waited for weeks for a set of 4.1's.

EwS

Willard
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Does the LC axle match up well with the LR steering linkage? Would you also want to install the LC steering box?
I will check the steering tonight. Myself i am converting to a power steering setup and will be using a FJ60 PS box. but i can still check when i get home.

yorker
03-20-2008, 03:34 PM
They are a royal pain to get as well. I waited for weeks for a set of 4.1's.

EwS

Equipe 4X4 has them in stock as a rule. I've been there(Draken off road) and seen loads of 4.1's in stock. http://www.d-90.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10267.html

Other ratios are available from other vendors overseas.

Eric W S
03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Equipe 4X4 has them in stock as a rule. I've been there(Draken off road) and seen loads of 4.1's in stock. http://www.d-90.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10267.html

Other ratios are available from other vendors overseas.

They seem to come and go. When I need some, they are nowhere to be found!

yorker
03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Pics for those who are wondering how they are arranged:

IIRC Stock FJ40 is 55" wide (wms to wms) An FJ60 is 3" wider so should be fine on a Series.

jp-
03-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Do the FJ axles have an enclosed swivel ball like the Series???

yorker
03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Do the FJ axles have an enclosed swivel ball like the Series???

Yes with a CV or Birfield joint that runs in grease- no oil to leak out- no chrome to pit. The balls are welded to the axle tube like on a 101, not bolted on like on a Series or coil sprung LR.

Random TLC axle thoughts:

pros:
The Birfields are pretty strong and can be upgraded to stronger CVs with axles from Bobby Long. The axles as stock are larger than LR's in diameter and have 30 splines. The differentials are offset to the Right just as on a LR. You can get front vented disc brake FJ40 front ends or convert any other FJ front end from drums to discs. Rear end disc conversions are readily available and inexpensive. Standard TLC drum brakes are huge- they dwarf 88" brakes and are probably larger than 109 drum brakes(maybe even bigger than the later V8 drum brakes?). The Toyota LC differentials have a 9.XX" ring gear as compared to LR's 8.XX" ring gear and are a hypoid design- not spiral bevel like Rover diffs as a result they are much stronger diffs.

Cons:
Rear end is C clip. You have to use 6 lug wheels unless you find a way to convert to Rover pattern.

All in all the swap is a pretty economical one IMHO. I doubt a stock series would break TLC axles. It would put an end to popping 10 spline rear axles for sure. :thumb-up: