X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenmeanie
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

Axle shipping weight.

Can anyone tell me the weight of a SIII slisbury rear axle drum to drum?

Cheers
    Gregor
  • autoguy
    2nd Gear
    • Oct 2007

i dont know what a slisbury rear axle weighs, but i do know it took 4 guys to move my front axle a couple of feet and we where sore for a few days afterwards

Comment

• O'Brien
      1st Gear
      • Oct 2007

they seriously can't weigh four guys worth... i was moving my rear non-sals axle today, with the rear diff on by myself. easy pick up with a guy on each end. including the pallet for shipping, i don't know, maybe 400-500 pounds at most? ike probably knows...
      Matt
      '66 88 GM powered
      '89 SWB RRC (sold)
      '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

Comment

• leafsprung
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

i dont know what a slisbury rear axle weighs, but i do know it took 4 guys to move my front axle a couple of feet and we where sore for a few days afterwards
        sheesh, eat you wheaties they arent that heavy. I donno what a sals weighs, Id have to throw it on a scale.

Comment

• O'Brien
          1st Gear
          • Oct 2007

according to this conversation on a uk board, they weight about 265 pounds (minus the half shafts)

Matt
          '66 88 GM powered
          '89 SWB RRC (sold)
          '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

Comment

• greenmeanie
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

Aye the shipping is going to hurt on this one. Unfortunately rovers are thin on the ground in AZ and Sals are a rare thing. But mucho torque requires strong axles. Admittedly my new truck has survived at least a couple of decades with a rover axle. On the other hand I'm planning on bumping the power up to around 200 hp and I get the impression the previous owner didn't drive like a lunatic. Need big axle!

Comment

• autoguy
              2nd Gear
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by leafsprung
              sheesh, eat you wheaties they arent that heavy. I donno what a sals weighs, Id have to throw it on a scale.
              lol, goes and gets wheaties we are fairly skinny and we where moving it uphill

Comment

• KingSlug
                1st Gear
                • Oct 2006

Are you kidding? I stood one up on end and moved it about 30' before leaning it against a pickup bed, then with one end in the bed I lifted the other end and pushed the thing into the bed. Sure I wasn't jumping around with it and was taking short focused steps but it wasn't impossible to move. That was Wed so if I am not sore by now I am probably OK.

Jared
                Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Comment

• Eric W S
                  5th Gear
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by greenmeanie
                  Aye the shipping is going to hurt on this one. Unfortunately rovers are thin on the ground in AZ and Sals are a rare thing. But mucho torque requires strong axles. Admittedly my new truck has survived at least a couple of decades with a rover axle. On the other hand I'm planning on bumping the power up to around 200 hp and I get the impression the previous owner didn't drive like a lunatic. Need big axle!
                  Series Trek 30 Splines with Toy locking thirds. www.seriestrek.com. Locking Diffs with e-lockers, new lower ring gears, and cheaper to ship.

A guy in the club with a disco rock buggy on 40's is running these. Not a single problem. (He is using the Rover Tracks axles instead of Jim's)

Comment

• S11A
                    2nd Gear
                    • Apr 2007

A couple of data points for shipping, although the weight is not listed and I don't know if the guy marked up the shipping to cover things like pallet cost, labor to palletize, etc.:

A side note: the person listed them as "unique but indestructible" but gave no details on what made them so. No real details so I guess it is not surprising they didn't sell. That and the freight cost...
                    1965 Series 2A 109 pickup diesel

Comment

• greenmeanie
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by S11A
                      A side note: the person listed them as "unique but indestructible" but gave no details on what made them so. No real details so I guess it is not surprising they didn't sell. That and the freight cost...
                      Thanks for the data points. It's not going to be cheap!

I think the gentleman above is probably one of those types that sells Land Rovers that don't rust because they're aluminium. A good bit sales hype until reality sets in.

Comment

• greenmeanie
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Eric W S
                        Series Trek 30 Splines with Toy locking thirds. www.seriestrek.com. Locking Diffs with e-lockers, new lower ring gears, and cheaper to ship.

A guy in the club with a disco rock buggy on 40's is running these. Not a single problem. (He is using the Rover Tracks axles instead of Jim's)
                        Jim's stuff is undoubtably good and well designed. That set up, however, is still considerably more expensive than shipping a sals. I could go with the lower spec axles to cut some cost I suppose.

I have to face facts that this is not going to be an off road monster for some time. Right now I'm looking for the heavy duty rear end to absorb the engine torque and use the spare cash to do an NP435 conversion.

Once I have her on the road with some upgrades to improve safety I'll let my bank account recover for a while and then take a new look at the next stage of upgrades.

The shopping list for this week is:
                        - Complete set of oil seals for axles & tranny.
                        - POR 15 kit to fix leak in fuel tank.
                        - New radiator
                        - Late IIA/III steering wheel
                        - New set of front doors.
                        - A set of those nice RM aluminium door tops.
                        - New front prop shaft
                        - Set of Jim's steering linkage bars
                        - Full set of seals for the brake hydraulics.

- About 1 million small additional small items.

If anyone has a set of IIA doors they want rid of or the steering wheel give me a shout.

It's going to be a long hot summer in the garage rebuilding this old girl.
                        Cheers
                        Gregor

Comment

• autoguy
                          2nd Gear
                          • Oct 2007

my axle has the heavy duty springs on it too when we moved it

Comment

• Tim Smith
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by autoguy
                            my axle has the heavy duty springs on it too when we moved it
                            Well, now you are talking. Those springs are pretty heavy too.

Don't let these guys make you feel bad. I once pulled my back lifting the hood of my truck.

Although the hood still had the spare on it and was suction cupped into a mud hole at the time.

Comment

• jp-
                              5th Gear
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KingSlug
                              Are you kidding? I stood one up on end and moved it about 30' before leaning it against a pickup bed, then with one end in the bed I lifted the other end and pushed the thing into the bed. Sure I wasn't jumping around with it and was taking short focused steps but it wasn't impossible to move. That was Wed so if I am not sore by now I am probably OK.

Jared

Actually, I use a Salisbury axle as my curling bar, and I put the tires on when I feel like doing a few bench presses, but it's just not quite enough weight these days...
                              61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                              66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                              66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                              67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                              88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

Working...