PDA

View Full Version : door seals

siii8873
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm getting prepared to replace the door seals on my SIII. Can anyone provide me with any pointers from previous experiences.

Momo
03-15-2008, 06:47 PM
When I rebuilt my 109 I used original type, genuine seals. They are a PITA to get right due to the need for locating the rivet holes properly, and they don't train well, particularly the A pillar seal- it likes to pop out around the doortop dogleg.

If I were to do it again, I would source a roll of good quality generic seal. You would have to do some leg work on the net to find the right stuff, but maybe someone else here has a good source...

1961 109 WAGON
03-15-2008, 07:17 PM
i just ordered a kit from soem rover place in n.y (cant think of the vendor)
$150 does all five doors on my 109, but not the bottoms, you have to get them oem for $75 total for all five, they fit over the metal and dont leak!!:thumb-up:

siii8873
03-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I have already purchased the Original door seals. So these are the ones I intended to install. Sounds like this will be fun!

jp-
03-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I used the original metal type on my 109" and they are a major pain. Plus they don't like to form into shape, as Momo mentioned. The second time around, I used an exact replica of the door seals, but with softer rubber and no metal center rib. The stuff is great! It comes on a roll, so you just cut it to length. Then I used a manual leather hole puncher to put a hole where I needed it and then pop-riveted it in just like the original. The rubber is strong enough to not tear out when riveted and so far has held up great, plus it is a lot less than the metal lined type.