PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler pipes

al5188
03-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi

Just found this amazing resource, hopefully someone has a bit of insight. I went in for a trnasmission flush and upon return noticed substantial loss of that fluid, I could follow my trail for about 2 blocks at least. Poked around underneath and have determined that an upper oil cooler pipe is the culprit.

Any ideas on fixes other than replacement? How easy is a full replacement if needed.

Thanks

I Leak Oil
03-16-2008, 08:30 AM
They are easy to replace. You sure it's not just loose? If the pipe is ruptured I'd just replace it as chances are the rest of the pipe is going bad also. How many times do you want to repair the old pipe? Tranny fluid spraying all over the cats is not a pretty sight!
Jason T.

al5188
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks. The 'easy to replace' has led to an ordered part and I'll hopefully have it back together in a couple of days. I'll do most repairs myself but I had trouble pinpointing where this pipe enters the tranny, so thought it may be a complex proceedure.

cthulhu
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I see that you have already ordered parts, but a worthwhile conversion is to change the pipes over to braided steel.

I also know that those pipes can rupture, spray tranny fluid onto hot exhaust pipes and cause an engine fire. It is not too hard to convert and it would alleviate that from happening.

Good Rovering!

Alan

lforgue8
03-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I see that you have already ordered parts, but a worthwhile conversion is to change the pipes over to braided steel.

I also know that those pipes can rupture, spray tranny fluid onto hot exhaust pipes and cause an engine fire. It is not too hard to convert and it would alleviate that from happening.

Good Rovering!

Alan

Ive got an 88 Range and was interested in these braided trans lines you speak of where can i get them?