PDA

View Full Version : ARB bull bar questions

adkrover
03-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I have a Series 2a with an ARB deluxe winch bar installed and was hoping someone could help with a few questions.

1. It came to me from the PO but he hadn't installed the turn indicators and they are not to be found. Does anyone know where to get replacements?

2. I want to install a Warn XD9000 on it but the ARB website says you need to order a spacer. Anyone done this before? Is it something I can make myself? I have a pretty good welding setup.

Thanks

leafsprung
03-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Id sell the ARB personally and make your own bumper.

1) you save money for other goodies (like getting an 8274 instead of an xd9000)

2) you have the welder already

3) modern bullbar looks goofy on a series

adkrover
03-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Leafsprung,

Thanks for the comments but none of them addressed my questions. I personally think the bar looks very good on the truck and for where I drive, I need the full frontal protection that it offers me. If I built one Myself it would look almost the same. I have the original bumper if I ever change my mind about it. An XD9000 should be more than enough power and speed for my needs. Like I said, thanks for the comments anyhow. I've attached a few photos.

leafsprung
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Different strokes. . .

Im sure you can order the lamps from an ARB stockist/dealer. As for the spacers, buy the winch, measure the gap, make the spacer.

I Leak Oil
03-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Clean looking truck. I have to agree with Ike that the ARB doesn't look quite right on a series truck, but if you like it that's all that matters. As for the lights, if you want ARB parts I'm sure our hosts or any other ARB rep could get them for you. If you look around you can probably find an aftermarket set that works with some modification. I bet a set from a defender would work.
Can't be sure but I think the spacer is just to lift the winch up a little. Like I said, I can't be sure though so you're better off just asking an ARB rep what the special spacer does.
Jason T.

Willard
03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Aside form not liking bullbars on a series myself. i think it looks funny :). If you have a welder and any fab skills at all, get the winch, and test fit it, if you need a spacer make one.
Also from the looks of your you have 2 options to mount a winch. so i think you might be ok.

For the turn signals. Should be the same on every ARB. Myself i would fill in the holes (weld a new plate on then and smooth it out) as they will look really odd on a Series 2a.

PH4
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I believe our host makes a product that mounts the turn signals on top of the fenders and looks very series like. I would check out that option.

yorker
03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree an ARB Defender type bull bar just doesn't look right on a Series particularly a IIA but if you like it and it fits your needs well then you should be happy with it. Re-mount your existing signal lights atop the wings with an L shaped piece of aluminum or something akin to that so they clear the bar.
http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/othervehicles/images/lrswb2a03.jpg

KingSlug
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I have to agree with that the ARB looks silly on a S2, but Max over at Guns and Rovers has one on his tan 109.

This is the bumper I have always wanted on my ambulance.

Jared

AlaskaRover
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.geocities.com/alaskastinson/r3.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/alaskastinson/IM001384.jpg
I have this in the front of my 109. I don't really like it. but it's good moose protection. I have never had it off, but I'm guessing it wieght a few hundred pounds.

Duncan
Fairbanks AK

LaneRover
03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I believe our host makes a product that mounts the turn signals on top of the fenders and looks very series like. I would check out that option.

I could be wrong but I think that he is wondering about putting lights in the 'holes' that are in the bullbar that are built for lights.

xsbowes
03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.arbusa.com There is a locator for the nearest dealer, they should be able to order you the correct ones. You might need the part number of the bumper.

Stacy

Les Parker
03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Ref the lamp kit, our hosts have these available, from stock:-

3500080 Lamp kit Current price $38.12 for the pair.

Please advise,

adkrover
03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
OK folks. So I did find someone to sell me the ARB replacement lamps. We'll see if they are the correct ones when they arrive. I have the stock signals located on the wings and they work just fine so I don't NEED the ones on the bumper. My first thought was to cut the holes larger to accomodate fog lights but then decided having the extra signals made good mechanical sense. Redundant maybe but here in New York there are very strict annual inspections and the troopers love to pull people over for broken lights just to see what else they can get you for.

As far as the looks, I'm still a firm believer that it looks good on my truck. It will look even more purposeful once the winch and driving/fog lights are installed. Like I said, I also need the protection of a full frontal bar as I am also in heavy deer and moose country. The roads I venture out on are primarily unused logging roads so there are plenty of low lying branches and small trees to deal with as well.

Thanks for the feedback and remember, even an ugly child is loved by it's mother.

LaneRover
03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I also need the protection of a full frontal bar as I am also in heavy deer and moose country.

But wouldn't a heavy deer be fatter and not cause as much damage....

leafsprung
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
The ARB will look more purposeful with scratches and scrapes than with foglights:D Glad you found the signals. Now unload the sills and undersized ATs and hit the trail. Looking forward to seeing some pics of another wagon on the trails.

adkrover
03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Leafsprung,

So what would you suggest for new sills and wheels? My wife wants me to rebuild the flip down steps but I'm afraid they'll get yanked off by a tree. I've considered fabbing a running board to act as a step/sill protector/rock slider/jack point.

leafsprung
03-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, fire up that welder and make some sliders. The 109 doesnt have much of a breakover or departure angle. But from time to time you see some capable ones on the trail. Im sure there are some folks around that can give you some ideas for designs. Looks like you are running 15 inch rims. 235/75/15,31x10.50,33x9.50, 33x10.50 and 34x9.50 are about it for tire sizes. In a 16 inch wheel you have 235/85/16 and 255/85/16 as well as the wider 245 and 265/75s. Too much larger and the stock mill will not be too happy. Its still a heavy truck with a tiny motor.

109s on the trail in Tillamook OR:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/tillamook/run.jpg

adkrover
03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Leafsprung,

I am currently running 235/85 16's.

As far as sliders, someone suggested that you make sliders. Is that true? Do you sell them for a 109? I'm not likely to go climbing over any boulders but logging roads tend to have washouts that I could drop an axle into or go over a small tree that jumps up and hits the underbody. Also, I might have occasion to need a good jacking point on the side of the truck.

Thanks

yorker
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Leafsprung,

I am currently running 235/85 16's.

As far as sliders, someone suggested that you make sliders. Is that true? Do you sell them for a 109? I'm not likely to go climbing over any boulders but logging roads tend to have washouts that I could drop an axle into or go over a small tree that jumps up and hits the underbody. Also, I might have occasion to need a good jacking point on the side of the truck.

Thanks

Ike makes awesome sliders,:thumb-up: check out his website and you'll see them and his other wares. You'll destroy the sill panels in short order if you really use your truck on logging roads here in NY.

S11A
03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I like the detail that Ike puts into these, for example the jacking points and curves similar to stock.

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/sliders/sliders.html

These are on my list once I get a few other items taken care of.

leafsprung
03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
As far as sliders, someone suggested that you make sliders. Is that true? Do you sell them for a 109?

Apparently my reputation proceeds me. Yes I do make them. Drop me an email if you have questions.