PDA

View Full Version : 67 IIA "D" - ignition problems

dipasqum
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a 67 series with an ignition problem. I've replaced the battery and the solenoid (new part is land rover) as well as the ignition switch.

When I bridge the solenoid, the motor turns over. I can't for the life of me get the new ignition switch hooked up properly.

The new ignition switch is part 5667 - ignition switch solenoid type. It has 4 connections - three doubles and a single. One of the doubles is smaller than the other two.

The old parts were a ford solenoid and an ignition switch which doesn't correspond to anything in the parts catalog.

I have three wires - 1 is from the battery, one from the coil and one for accessories (at least that's the wire I pulled off the "ACC" of the old ignition).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

jp-
03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Are you trying to rewire the ignition switch or the solenoid or both?

The system is very simple. Incoming power (brown wire, typically) goes to the ign switch. Another wire connects to the coil. Another to the solenoid (typically white). The remaining wires go to the accessory position on the ign switch. The solenoid (if it is a Rover solenoid) should be internally grounded. This means that the solenoid should be bolted to a good ground. The white wire from the ign switch hooks up to the small connector on the solenoid. The ign switch triggers the solenoid, the motor turns over, and the coil wire triggers the spark. Brrrrrrrmmm...

dipasqum
03-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Yes, I'm trying to re-wire both. My problem is that I'm trying to convert the old solenoid/switch combination and moving to a new solenoid and new switch and the new ones don't look anything like the old ones.

For instance, all the wires were spray-painted black by a former owner so I can't tell any more what colors they are. I'm afraid I'm dealing with a lot of jury rigging.

So respond in the hypothetical In a perfect world,

Where does the feed from the battery come from? Straight from the battery?

Are there any connections between the solenoid and coil?

In the Hanyes book, it says the little connection is coil supply. Does it go from solenoid to ignition switch to coil? (right now I have a coil wire that goes directly to
the solenoid (which is wrong, i think).

Any response is appreciated and thank you for your help.

Regards,

Marco