PDA

View Full Version : Heating problem

skarvo
12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:
Now we are experiencing a problem with the heater. We changed the thermostat and we had marginal heat and now there is nothing it went completely cold any help it truly helpful:(

landi41
12-04-2006, 04:09 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:
Now we are experiencing a problem with the heater. We changed the thermostat and we had marginal heat and now there is nothing it went completely cold any help it truly helpful:(
I would suspect air in the cooling system or more specifically air in the heating matrix, you could try bleeding air by removing the heater hoses individually.......the object being to see water flowing actually gushing......

singingcamel
12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
did you fill it from the tower on the engine or from the radiator,? i think this makes a difference ,manual says fill from the tower .
upper hose hot? marc

skarvo
12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
we are thinking it is air in the system as well guys, flushed the heater core at home with the hose and had actual heat but wore off after a day or two, going to have the system professionally flushed once and for all tomrrow. top hose warm but not so hot that you cant touch it and nothing else is warm yet it tried to overheat today going up town. will see what happens tomorrow after the flush. thanks agian

JSalyer
12-07-2006, 07:34 AM
When you change coolant(ie or replace radiator/heater core/tstat etc.) make sure to fill up resevoir with tower plug or small filler plug out(its like a baby, needs to burp!!) once you fill up with engine off, and no more air burping, start and leave res cap and plug out until engine is sufficiently warm; you will start seeing coolant flowing out of tower or the small filler cap on later cars(be ready to put that cap on ASAP and put a little anti seize on the plastic threads-it cant hurt!!). Then refill res if needed put res cap on and drive around block-run the heat on high!! This ensures water is circulating through whole system!! Come back and turn engine off. VERY CAREFULLY LOOSEN THE RES. CAP-JUST A FRACTION OF A TURN UNTIL YOU HEAR PRESSURE DROP, THEN A LITTLE MORE---DONT JUST WIP IT OFF- YOU WILL GET BURNED!! Once you can safely remove cap, you will find(90% of time) that the res is almost empty or very low, top off and usually this will fix the problem!! Cheers

JSalyer
12-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Skarvo,
Well here is where I dont want to diagnose from 6000miles away. I have seen some flaky things happen to these cars when it comes to HVAC issues so I am not going to diagnose for you without being there with tools in hand!! You need to call either RN or Atlantic British and find an independent Rover mechanic(they wholesale to all the independent shops in the country; they will know of one). There are alot of things that need checking/pressure tested and looked at on your car for proper diagnoses. I dont want to lead you down the wrong path or have you throw parts at it. I dont mind giving advice on major issues, or tips on obvious things Rover, but I dont want to waste your time or money or lead you down paths you dont need to go!! Let me know if you cant find a shop, I'll try to help with that.
Sorry couldnt be more help!!
Cheers,
Jack

PS, How old is the car, have you had Radiator checked, if its a 94 there is a heater valve that needs looking at. They can get really bad if coolant changes were'nt followed.
People typically failed to follow the service plan Rover recommended and thats why so many of these cars have problems--Soccer mommies should be banned from Rovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Of course unless they are like my wife(lives/sleeps/breaths rovers!!!)

skarvo
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ended up having the heads changed on the discovery after all. All went well for about a month or so. Heat started fluctuating again we flushed system again had heat consistent heat for a day or two took off on a trip to the cities and blew antifreeze out of the resevoir ( which was also replaced). Felt like we were right back where we started except we are not blowing hoses this time. Advice of maybe it is the radiator and jim doesn't here the fans coming on. Any suggestions????????????? greatly appreciated.

Pleco
04-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Hello There.

had the same problem with my disco. Kept on blowing water out of the expansion bottle. Replaced the t stat, and the same.

Until I found out you are supposed to bleed the air out of the system.

Let it cool down, opened the tower plug on the top of the radiator, switched on the heaters and fan(otherwise air stays in there) started the engine, and filled through the top of the expansion bottle until water poured out of the tower plug. Kept the engine running until air bubbles stopped coming out of the tower plug. Closed the tower plug with engine running, and topped up the expansion bottle to the seam.

No more problems, and heater is working fine.

If your system starts playing up again after a while, you most likely have a water leak somewhere, and air gets into the system when the level goes too low.

Let us know if you get it solved

singingcamel
04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ended up having the heads changed on the discovery after all. All went well for about a month or so. Heat started fluctuating again we flushed system again had heat consistent heat for a day or two took off on a trip to the cities and blew antifreeze out of the resevoir ( which was also replaced). Felt like we were right back where we started except we are not blowing hoses this time. Advice of maybe it is the radiator and jim doesn't here the fans coming on. Any suggestions????????????? greatly appreciated.
:( you have either a slipped sleeve or cracked block. i'm sorry to be the one with the bad news. it cannot be fixed,youll need a new short block.

skarvo
04-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, It was all leading up to the cracked block and we got confirmation on that the other day rodded out the radiator as a last resort and went ok for a day and now we have the rolling smoke and a little oil in the anitifreeze resevoir. Debated for a week now and decided to keep it and put a new motor in it. we only paid 1200 for it so ...... i really want to keep it. its gorgeous. have learned alot about these in the last six months since we've had it thanks for the replys will keep you posted. thanks again guys.

singingcamel
04-20-2007, 04:00 PM
:( sorry to hear the bad news, be patient whatch the boards for a engine.
take a peek on the www.discoweb.org (http://www.discoweb.org)
a guy by the name of willl tillery breaks alot of rovers ,he should have a engine for you ..good luck..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

skarvo
04-25-2007, 01:34 PM
thanks for the info, we are looking for a decent deal on a motor and hope to have it put in before fall. thanks again.

skarvo
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I found a motor for 56k on it with a 180 day warranty on it from midwest auto recycling. will be putting it in next weekend. will keep you updated. thanks
sheila

skarvo
08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
put the new/used motor in is running like a top, thanks for all the advice and tips again guys, i love it.