PDA

View Full Version : Help With Series 2 and 2a Motor Differences

Bertha
03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a series 2 motor which has very low miles on it however it needs new bearings. Unfortunately the bearings are NLA. Rover changed the crank on the 2a motor and went to larger journals. This change happened on suffix k onward motors. My question is, will a 2a crank fit in a series 2 block. According to the parts book, the piston numbers and rods are the same. The only difference in part numbers are those related to the crank. I would like to cofirm that this crank swap will work before I invest the money in getting the later crank and bearings.

singingcamel
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
this was a common problems on the series 11 motors. I would like to say it would work.
I would say you need to compare ,(mike) the differences between the two
I have a good crank from a series 11a engine I would sell you cheap.$50.00.

leafsprung
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Its been a long while since I have had a SII motor opened up so my memory may be hazy. If the jounals are narrower the later crank probably wont be the best option. Besides, that doesnt really solve much because the bearings fit both the block and the crank. If I recall, the later bearing shells can be modified to work in the earlier motors. If you are willing to go to the trouble of swapping all of the internals, why not just get a later core engine for your rebuild. Might save you some hassle. They normally arent to expensive.

Les Parker
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
To simplify further parts needs, such as water pump/gasket and 8:1 cylinder head, rear main seal and a few other minor differences, I would suggest sourcing a IIa core engine, parts are readily available for it and the Series III engines, directly off the shelf.

:)

Bertha
03-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I thought that the journal thickness was the difference not the width? The reason I am trying to save this motor is because it has an original 24k miles and has very little wear in the cylinder bores. It would just take a hone, new rings and bearings and be ready to go if I can work out the crank problem.

Bertha
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
To simplify further parts needs, such as water pump/gasket and 8:1 cylinder head, rear main seal and a few other minor differences, I would suggest sourcing a IIa core engine, parts are readily available for it and the Series III engines, directly off the shelf.

:)

Les
Thanks for the info, however I already have the later head, water pump and front cover. As I stated earlier the block is in such good shape I hate to toss it and start over, plus the less I have to spend on the motor means more money spent with RN for the long list of parts I need to buy for this beast.

I Leak Oil
03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I have a SII motor that I had apart a few years ago and looked into this. I don't think the later crank swap will work, atleast not as a cost effective option. The above suggestions of finding a later donor are good ones.
Jason T.

yorker
03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Bertha- where are you located? I have a new 2.25 block on Long Island.

Les Parker
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
We do have in stock :-

B4247LC20 Rod bearing set + 20 thou. priced at $60.80 the set

Mains are vitually impossible to find.

Regards