PDA

View Full Version : offroad lighting suggestions and regulations?

adkrover
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I have updated my 109 with halogen headlamps and they work great for normal driving. I would like to add lights that provide a wider pattern for windy roads and offroad excursions. Does anyone have a good suggestion? I've considered wiring a set of PIAA ATP 520's (85W) in line with my highbeams with a kill switch for when I don't want them. For low speed action in the woods, I was think of a set of PIAA fog lights set wide to give good perimeter lighting close up.

Any strong preferences for or against Hella, PIAA or IPF?

Also, what are the rules as far as using additional lights on the highway? Is it ok as long as they are mounted on the bumber or do they have to meet a special requirement for light pattern and intensity etc.?

Thanks

VTRover
03-21-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd suggest upgrading your wiring harness as the first step. Then fitting a set of IPF E-Code headlights. For bulbs i'd look at something like a 65/75 or 65/85. You will not believe the difference in the light spread and pattern. It's night and day. It's important not to skip the wiring harness as the first step.

Leslie
03-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Any strong preferences for or against Hella, PIAA or IPF?

Also, what are the rules as far as using additional lights on the highway? Is it ok as long as they are mounted on the bumber or do they have to meet a special requirement for light pattern and intensity etc.?

A) I have a preference towards Hella, FWIW......

B) This varies from state-to-state. For example, in Virginia, you can't have odd numbers of lights, it has to be even (two or four lights, not three lights). Also, if the lights are mounted above the headlights, then you have to have covers on them when on the road, but you don't if they're lower than the headlights. In West Virginia, the newer Jeep Liberty that came with the factory offroad lights wasn't legal to register there because their laws forbid lights being mounted over a certain distance above the ground.

Most places, you can't use spots while on the road, only offroad. Check your state's regulations for what you can and can't do.