PDA

View Full Version : squeaky mystery

Paul Rossmann
03-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I need a little insight here... The old S3 has developed a squeak in what sounds likd the right front wheel, or there abouts. It has just started and sounds like a squeaky spring or something but only when I am turning left (?). It seems random in that it isnt "in time" with the rotation of the wheel. It doesnt happen if the brakes are being applied. Everything is greased and lubed.

I couldnt figure out how the brakes themselves would make the noise only during a left turn, or if it was a squeaky spring, why that would only happen during a left turn.

I'm pretty sure my car is a Democrat, so turning left shouldnt be a problem either. (sorry for the bad pun... I still would appreciate any ideas that anyone might have... Thanks)

Les Parker
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Paul,

Have you looked to see if there is a loose bolt on the shackle?
Have you tried jacking the vehicle up, and using a pry bar, see if there is any movement on any of the bushes or bolts on the springs?

Pse advise,

Paul Rossmann
03-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Les, I have checked for the loose bolt on the shackle, but havent checked the other. I will do so and let you know. Thanks.

Paul Rossmann
03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Les,
All bolts and bushings are tight.

Anyone,
Can anyone think of why the right front brakes might squeak on one wheel while making a left turn.

The other thought I had was it could be the free wheeling hubs?

As mentioned, if I brake while turning, it doesnt squeak.

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
The shoes might simply be sliding down a little bit and rubbing on the drum but keep in mind that I'm totally guessing. It's hard to diagnose squeaks without actually seeing it in action.

Les Parker
03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Paul,

Have you check the position of the brake shoes? Perhaps a worn/broken spring?
Also have you checked the hub bearing adj. nut? Is there any uneven tyre wear?

Pse advise,

Paul Rossmann
03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Les, What is the hub bearing adj nut? Are you referring to the brake adjustment nut? ...or the two big hub nuts? I have recently replaced the seals and races, and very recently checked the hub nuts. They are snug, but not tight.

Anything in the swivel balls that could go bad (and squeak)?

All of the wheel cylinders, drums, shoes (and I think springs) are about 6 months old. I will check the springs and shoe position though. The tires are only a couple of weeks old so I cant tell anything from them.

I'll keep you posted. I appreciate everyone's advice... Thanks.

Les Parker
03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Paul,

I was reffering to the big (2 1/16") hub nuts, there could be some slack there that gets "taken-up" when you turn to the left.

Pse advise,

S11A
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I once broke the ring gear in a diff (on another sort of car entirely). It made an odd noise when turning in one direction but not the other. I can't remember what the noise sounded like early on, but one day while driving to work I turned and obviously it let go in a major way as thereafter until I swapped the gear set out the car made a very loud "GINK! - GINK! - GINK!" noise accompanied by bad jolts to the car on each GINK. The early noise was more of a whine if I remember correct...

If your truck is LHD, and the front diff is offset to the right, then it might sounds like it was coming from the front right wheel area, sorta.