PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from the timing chain cover?

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
The lightweight needed an oil change so before starting that I thought I'd give it a run to warm everything up and see if anything looks a miss while I'm in there. Well something does.

Why the heck would I have smoke coming from the timing chain cover? It lasted for a good 10 - 15 minutes after shut down and I'm kind of worried. It wasn't a huge amount of smoke (about half or a quarter what your average cigarette puts out) but it kept coming out. Below I'm pointing at the point where it was escaping out but to explain, it looked like it was coming out of the treads of the bolt I'm pointing to.

Here is a shot of it:
http://lh6.google.com/smithco1/R-krjFAgXHI/AAAAAAAABhg/_yEmIVq7wTk/s144/IMAGE_062.jpg

Clicky (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbaWiringAndSmoke/photo#5181720727906180210)

Also, while I was in there, I couldn't help but think that there is entirely too much oil running down the fill tube and valve cover. Could it be that I need to replace the oil fill and breather caps? Or is this all a sign of blow by? I don't have a compression tester at the moment so I'll have to add one to the shopping list till then, any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is a standard 2.25.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Smith
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Bueller? Bueller?
Do the signs above sound like blow by to any one? I'm still curious about this one.

Bueller?

thixon
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
A couple things bother me here.

First, you've got some positive crank case pressure (obviously), but for it to continue to blow smoke for 10 to 15 minutes is weird. Is it blowing smoke, as if there is pressure behind it? Or, is it just smoldering?

If it is indeed blowing smoke, then this is really weird. this suggests that the positive crankcase pressure is built up, and not escaping though your PCV system. Check it to make sure its functioning properly.

The whole 10 to 15 minute thing bothers the S*#T out of me.

Also, the timing cover gasket surrounds each bolt that holds on the cover, so it should seal up around each bolt hole. It sort of suggests that you have a failed gasket there.

If it were me, I'd check the PCV system. Then, I'd do a leakdown test, or at least a compression test.

The leaking around the other areas you mention, suggests high crankcase pressure, and blown gaskets because of it.

These are just guesses here. Good luck with it.

KevinNY
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
When was the last time you removed the crank case breather and washed it out in a cup of gas?

Tim Smith
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
When was the last time you removed the crank case breather and washed it out in a cup of gas?
Never. :o

That is so obvious. Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes.
Thanks Kevin!

Tim Smith
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
A couple things bother me here.

First, you've got some positive crank case pressure (obviously), but for it to continue to blow smoke for 10 to 15 minutes is weird. Is it blowing smoke, as if there is pressure behind it? Or, is it just smoldering?

If it is indeed blowing smoke, then this is really weird. this suggests that the positive crankcase pressure is built up, and not escaping though your PCV system. Check it to make sure its functioning properly.

The whole 10 to 15 minute thing bothers the S*#T out of me.

Also, the timing cover gasket surrounds each bolt that holds on the cover, so it should seal up around each bolt hole. It sort of suggests that you have a failed gasket there.

If it were me, I'd check the PCV system. Then, I'd do a leakdown test, or at least a compression test.

The leaking around the other areas you mention, suggests high crankcase pressure, and blown gaskets because of it.

These are just guesses here. Good luck with it.
Thanks thixon. First though, I should have mentioned that mine is an old IIa engine that I tossed in a few years ago so it's the breather type, not the pcv type. I'm going to clean out the breather like Kevin noted above and see what happens with the oil coming from everywhere.

As for the smoke. I'm still stumped. It really was smoking for a long while which is what astonished me. Looked more like of a smolder than heavy smoke but still... I could understand it if this was an oil drip on the exhaust but there shouldn't be anything nearly that hot on this side of the engine.

I'm really just hunting for thoughts on this as I don't think anyone will really have an answer for it. Sort of shooting the s#!t I guess.

Here is another funny thing that happened last night. After I filled the engine back up with oil, I started and ran it for about 30-60 seconds. This was just to get the oil into the new oil filter so I could get a more accurate level reading. When I turned it off and walked back to the front of the truck, the motor burped at me. TWICE!

Maybe it was air bubbles in the oil filter still? Either way, I thought it rude of the truck. :D

I need to get a new compression tester kit and I'll do the compression/leak down tests. I'm expecting it's going to tell me that this motor is getting a little tired. Thats really what the oil all over the engine bay is telling me...

Cheers,
Tim

LaneRover
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
When I turned it off and walked back to the front of the truck, the motor burped at me. TWICE!

In some societies that considered quite a complement!

Tim Smith
03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
In some societies that considered quite a complement!
Oh yes. You are right. Perhaps it liked the fresh oil meal it had just chowed down on.
:D

KevinNY
03-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Never. :o

That is so obvious. Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes.
Thanks Kevin!

I accept PayPal or beer for advice of dubious use.:sly:

junkyddog11
03-29-2008, 06:11 AM
that sounds like alot more pressure than a clogged crank breather would cause. Sure it may be clogged but I'd have to think you are getting blowby or more likely a failed head gasket.

Seems as if 3 out of 4 cases in the shop that have excessive crank pressure have turned out to be burnt gasket bettween cylinders.

Tim Smith
03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I accept PayPal or beer for advice of dubious use.:sly:
What if I just keep some butane in my truck for the next tire mishap? :D
Thanks again!

Tim Smith
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
that sounds like alot more pressure than a clogged crank breather would cause. Sure it may be clogged but I'd have to think you are getting blowby or more likely a failed head gasket.

Seems as if 3 out of 4 cases in the shop that have excessive crank pressure have turned out to be burnt gasket bettween cylinders.
Thanks man. This would be a easy solution. Still got to do the leak down test. Although, I have to admit that I did use a lot of oil on my last longish ~300 mile trip. More than I was used to using...

I've moved on to the underside of the truck and while I was switching out the front diff seal, I couldn't help but ask myself where all that oil was coming from. Seems I've got a leak from just about every major component now. A look under the truck reveals a whole host of oil accumulations that are just waiting to drip. Kinda makes it tough to stay dry under there. :(

While I was under the truck, I did notice some coolant on the front axle. I'm starting to wonder if the hot coolant was dripping on to the axle and creating the smoke effect? I don't know, it was chilly out when I saw it.