PDA

View Full Version : What in the world is this thing and hang on a minute, where are the fuses???

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Okay, so new post number 2 for the day.

I've been having a problem with a parasitic electrical draw in the truck lately and I think I've found the culprit. What do you folks think this thing is?

http://lh4.google.com/smithco1/R-krjlAgXII/AAAAAAAABho/7_Yc8TeVb50/s144/IMAGE_063.jpg

Clicky (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbaWiringAndSmoke/photo#5181720736496114818)

It's mounted to the firewall, is made by Hella and has some German writing on it. <gulp> When I turn on the lights, it clicks. When I use the indicators or hazards, it clicks. When I turn on the ignition it clicks. When I connect or disconnect the battery, IT CLICKS! I think this is the parasite that is sucking my truck dry or electrical juice. If I let the truck sit more that a few weeks, my battery will be some where in the 8-6 volt range so it's now unacceptable.

And while we are at it, where the heck is the fuse block on a lightweight? Could this be a replacement for fuses?

Some shots of the firewall and the electrical spaghetti factory are here (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbaWiringAndSmoke). Thanks previous owner! :p

Mercedesrover
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Looks like an old VW headlight relay.

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like an old VW headlight relay.
Thanks Jim,
If thats is the case, then should it be powered (clicking) when everything is off? It clicks as if it were on, when everything is off and the battery is then disconnected.

Mercedesrover
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
You may be powering a coil in the relay when the battery is connected even though whatever switch that coil is closing isn't powering anything. Just energizing the coil will draw your battery. If you get a click by connecting and disconnecting the battery, that's what is happening. I hate to ask but how many wires are plumbed to that thing?

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
You may be powering a coil in the relay when the battery is connected even though whatever switch that coil is closing isn't powering anything. Just energizing the coil will draw your battery. If you get a click by connecting and disconnecting the battery, that's what is happening.
Thanks Jim. That is what I expected.

I hate to ask but how many wires are plumbed to that thing?
I hate to answer. :D

Under the hood the truck is a huge mess with all the wires. If memory serves, there are 6 wires connected to the Hella unit. Not sure though and now it seems I'm going to have to start tracing the wires.

I'm not looking forward to this because there is a literal rats nest of wires splicing to other wires in there. How can someone make such a simple truck so scary!?! :p

This is what I mean:
http://lh3.google.com/smithco1/R-krkVAgXKI/AAAAAAAABh4/vmHqoS2w-jY/s144/IMAGE_065.jpg

Clicky (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbaWiringAndSmoke/photo#5181720749381016738)

These are from my camera phone, so sorry about the quality.

I've been putting this job off for a while now but now it looks like I'll have to dive in there. While I was in there last night I was also reminded about the alternator feed wire shorting against the frame about a year ago. Had totally forgotten about that one.

By the way, any thoughts about the fuse block? I just don't know where it could be on this truck. I didn't see it last time I had the dash pod out either.

greenmeanie
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
It looks like an 'Indicator and warning relay 12V" 579373 as used on the military land rovers. My 101 used to click as you describe when the battery was connected. Then I pulled all that stuff of it which seemed to help.

I'd look up a military wiring harness and see if you have it connected properly.

Cheers
Gregor

Mercedesrover
03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
It looks like an 'Indicator and warning relay 12V" 579373 as used on the military land rovers.

Land Rover used a Bosch part? I'm sure someone got fired over that!

Les Parker
03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, the unit is the flasher relay, fitted to most Series III ex-MOD Landrovers.
Generally not a great source of anxiety, unless there are other issues on the vehicle.
Do you have a MOD wiring diagram?
If not let us know and we'll get one scanned to you.

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, the unit is the flasher relay, fitted to most Series III ex-MOD Landrovers.
Generally not a great source of anxiety, unless there are other issues on the vehicle.
Really? But it's German.
I for one was anxious till I asked the group. :o

Do you have a MOD wiring diagram?
If not let us know and we'll get one scanned to you.
No, actually I don't have one. That would be great Les.
You guys Rock!

scatterling
03-25-2008, 03:36 PM
it looks like mine (except mine says 24 volt), and yes, it clicks when turning the key

I Leak Oil
03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Sounds like it's wired constant hot instead of switched through the ignition key.
Jason T.

Tim Smith
03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Okay, thanks for all the advice folks! :thumb-up:

I went back to the site to finish the oil change and take a closer look at this little box. Indeed it seems to only handle the flashing indicators and hazards. When I unplugged it, that was the only thing I seemed to loose.

It took about 2 cans of carb cleaner to clean off most of the wiring and bulkhead to get an idea what was going on with all of the spaghetti mess and it honestly doesn't look quite as bad as I first thought. I also had a *doh* moment when I found the standard fuses on the steering column. Oops! :o

Some interesting previous owner wiring notes are:

The power going to that little Hella box has also been spliced to power the fan on the (brand unknown) second heater. So both of them work without the keys turned on. :p
The ARB pump has about 2 feet too much wire that has been wound up and used as a tie off for the other dangling wires. I think they used a square knot. <tisk tisk>
The main power solenoid seems to have at least 2 wires that have come loose. I wonder what they do.
There are at least 2 more loose wires around the coil, which by the way, is also mounted on the fender. I wonder what they do.
Lastly and certainly not least, the main power feed for the electric winch has been rubbing against the body work and is chafing badly. I don't think that one is fused! :eek:I guess I better bring out the soldering iron.

Cheers,
Tim