PDA

View Full Version : How to title an imported Series that never was by the PO

dwc
03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I bought a 1973 Ser III 109 from a guy that had it imported 4 years ago, but apparently never got them properly titled in his state (SC). He gave me all of the paperwork including all of the original Netherlands title, shipping info, and customs forms. Is this something that I can do myself as the second owner in the US (now in AL) or will he have to complete all of the paperwork to get an SC title so that I can transfer it to AL?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
- David

gambrinus
03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Have you tried just walking into your state DMV office and asking?

RW

autoguy
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
all else fails use its there web site is its-titles.com/ i used them for one of my scoots, they where very hard to get ahold of so they can send you the paper work but they where fast about getting the title and than all you have to do is go to the dmv, it is an out of state title, i had no trouble at our local dmv :)

dwc
03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
gambrinus - nope, just go it on Saturday... haven't had time to check with them yet - I'll try that this week

autoguy - thanks for the info. Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation before.

Terrys
03-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Most states do not require a title on vehicles beyond a certain age. In CT, it's fifteen years. All I need to register a vehicle over 15 years old, is a properly executed bill of sale. You shouldn't have any difficulty.

thixon
03-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Most states do not require a title on vehicles beyond a certain age. In CT, it's fifteen years. All I need to register a vehicle over 15 years old, is a properly executed bill of sale. You shouldn't have any difficulty.

Same for me with my old sIII. It was an import. The 15 year rule applies here in GA, so all I needed was a bill of sale to get the tag/registration. In addition, they asked to see a copy of a DOT document supplied to me by the seller. I don't remember the actual title of the document (someone on this board should know), but it was the exemption document for vehicles 25years old or older.

I never titled the truck, because I did'nt need to, and I'm too cheap to pay $18 for something I did'nt need at the time.

Later, I sold the truck to a guy in SC. He took a copy of my registration, and a bill of sale to SC DMV, and got it titled with no problem.

Good luck!

galen216
03-26-2008, 09:36 AM
My state does require a title and I used ITS. Very easy and you don't even need all that paperwork you have. Just send them a bill of sale and proof of insurance and you get tags and registration from Maine. Then take that registration (that is already in your name) to your state's DMV and transfer. It works differently for pre-1974 and post but I know many people that have done it. I know some guys that import Rovers and they use ITS because it is easier that going to the DMV in the first place.

gambrinus
03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Varies state to state. In some lucky places you just need a bill of sale and any import docs that a resonable person would look at and thing "oh, you bought this old truck from some guy in the U.K. and now you need a new title"

Good Luck

RW

ps look for an "out of the way" or never busy DMV office in a small town. DAMHIK this little trick.

PH4
03-27-2008, 08:51 AM
I did the same thing in SC back in 96. I believe if you go to the DMV website it is addressed. I did it with just a bill of sale but it took 3 times before they finally relinquished. However, since then alot of rovers have been titled in Charleston so it is not such a big deal.

thixon
03-27-2008, 09:04 AM
I did the same thing in SC back in 96. I believe if you go to the DMV website it is addressed. I did it with just a bill of sale but it took 3 times before they finally relinquished. However, since then alot of rovers have been titled in Charleston so it is not such a big deal.

PH4,

I sold an SIII to a guy in Charleston back in '97ish. It was an 88, RHD, with rear jump seats and a safari top, all limestone. Is that guy still around?

PH4
03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Thixon, I never saw that one. There were alot of Series that were brought in from New Zealand that were not, in my opinion, decent rovers. but I have never seen an entire limestone Series in Charleston.

dwc
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Called in to the local DMV... they said that it is old enough to qualify for not needing a title (gotta love Alabama). All I need is a notarized bill of sale and I can get a tag and be on my way. It also qualifies as a "vintage vehicle" (30 years or older) so my tag costs are only $10 a year. I'll let you know how it goes when I actually down to the DMV. Thanks for the suggestions.
David

PH4
03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
What I mean by decent rovers is price charged for their condition.

thixon
03-28-2008, 08:46 AM
What I mean by decent rovers is price charged for their condition.

I know what you meant. This one was completely re-worked (by me). Galv frame, new motor, interior, etc. It was a really nice truck. You'd remember it if you'd seen it. I regret selling it. Live and learn.

There was a guy in Charleston that had a shop near that round holiday inn. He had a bunch of mini's for sale. I stopped in once after seeing a couple of 88's outside. He wanted way to much money, for way to little truck. Is he still there?

Paul Rossmann
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry, I think we are sort of hijacking this thread.... The guy by the round Holiday Inn is really a tow lot and junk yard. He bought containers full of Rovers from NZ and was asking really high prices. He is still selling the Minis, but I have only seen one very tired LWB there recently.

Thixon, I remember a limestone 88 with jump seats here in Charleston. That guy sold the truck on Ebay and (to my best recollection) only got about $10K. Had I seen it for sale, I would have tried to get it myself! If it was the same one, it was very fine...

PH4
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
The person who runs the tow business referred to above is a good fellla, however, the price v. condition of his rovers was on the high side.

dwc
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
No worries... hijack away!