PDA

View Full Version : No lead head

gentilepiano
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a 1972 88. The truck has low miles, and has original drivetrain components. The engine is therefore original. What are the limitations and/or the problems that can be anticipated with the original head, and nolead gas? any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all
L

gambrinus
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
You'll drive it many, many miles before it's an issue. You can have the head "decked" and the unleaded "conversion" done at any time. Buy the bits and drop the head off at any decent machine shop... A new head gasket and a few mins with a torque wrench, and you're ready to go.

RW

thixon
03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Gambrinus is right on. I would'nt worry much about it for a while. Drive the truck and enjoy it through the summer. If your feeling like tinkering in the winter, then pull the head, get 'er rebuilt, and then bolt 'er back on. If its in reasonable shape, it would take a really long time for things to go south anyway.

Have fun.

Eric W S
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
If your really worreid about it several companies make lead substitutes that you can add when fueling.

Redline has a nice one.

EwS

Jeff Aronson
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
One of my II-A's is also a low mileage (46,000 miles) car with the 7:1 no lead head. The engine has more pep than my high mileage rebuilt one with the stellite valve head.

In its years of manufacture, Amoco Gas was unleaded yet promised power and economy. No auto manufacturer demanded leaded gas, only the right octane level. Over a long, long time, running unleaded gas will wear the valve seats. That's when you can install a higher compression, unleaded converted head. But it will be a long time from now.

My '66 Corvair also has run for decades on unleaded gas. When it was new, Chevrolet never said not to run Amoco or unleaded gas. I run a lead substitute [around $2.00 a bottle] with every fill up, but that's more to make up for the fact I can't get the required high octane gas on this island. Corvair forum board "experts" express conflicting opinions on the need to actually use it to help preserve the heads. I don't use additive in my '66 II-A with the low compression head.

Jeff

gentilepiano
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the advice!!!! I'll post a photo when If/ when I get the 88